Hacking Wii torrent??

bluegamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok so I´ve been in need of a torrent client that can run from a wii for a long time now but can´t seem to find any.. So if there isn´t one I´d like to ask to the more experienced programmers : How hard would it be to create one? I´m not talking about using a linux distro to get on one but creating an actual application that can be run from the homebrew channel and basically be a torrent client. What tools and knowledge would be nessecary for making one? Would I need to make one from scratch? I´m asking this because I want to make one just for the fun of it and to get a little better with my programming skills and I said hey, what the heck? why not make this? and I want to know what i´m dealing against. If it´s too hard i´d like to still do it eventually just as soon as I learn all the stuff that is needed.
Ok, so any help is appreciated and thanks in advance for helping me ;)

bluegamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well yeah that´s obvious. I´m already learning andvanced functions in c++ and have a pretty good understanding of networking and the basics of programming in c++ and well anything computer related. The thing I want to know is what to start learning next, so I can learn and code this little program over time.
I know not many people really have a need for a wii torrent client since of the slow speeds that it´s limited to but I would really find it useful anyway and would find it a pretty good oportunity to grow on my skills on coding and learn a lot more..

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Take it in steps, if you try all at once you will fail imho
and don't write it from scratch use existing libs where possible
For example there should already be gui, io and networking libs available for wii
find and use them

I would start with the gui
just a rough dummy, no networking, no drive access
only a wii gui program that has some buttons, writes some text to the screen
I would try to already shape it in the direction you want the final thing to look but you can and should do the details later

next up is adding usb/sd reads
read and write some files with it
make a directory/file selector button

after that some networking
not torrent, only some easy stuff to see how its done (eg echo)

afaik there is no torrent lib for wii
but there should be more than enought open source C/C++ implementations for other platforms
you want one that at least is written with portability in mind
better one that already has an arm port
find one you like and port it and use it in your prog
(or at least copy the portions you need as a base)

bluegamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Take it in steps, if you try all at once you will fail imho
and don't write it from scratch use existing libs where possible
For example there should already be gui, io and networking libs available for wii
find and use them

I would start with the gui
just a rough dummy, no networking, no drive access
only a wii gui program that has some buttons, writes some text to the screen
I would try to already shape it in the direction you want the final thing to look but you can and should do the details later

next up is adding usb/sd reads
read and write some files with it
make a directory/file selector button

after that some networking
not torrent, only some easy stuff to see how its done (eg echo)

afaik there is no torrent lib for wii
but there should be more than enought open source C/C++ implementations for other platforms
you want one that at least is written with portability in mind
better one that already has an arm port
find one you like and port it and use it in your prog
(or at least copy the portions you need as a base)

Yeah I was thinking of doing first a visual dummie, just to see how I would do the program and work from there..
I have actually made some progress on that, already have usb, sd acess and it´s supposed to connect to the network, I say suppose because I haven´t been able
to put hands on my wii yet but hopefully i'll try it next week. In the meantime I'll look for compatible torrent libs that I could use for it. Yeah but this program would probably take a long time to finish because of school and it is my first wii program but I really don´t mind if it takes a few months or more, heck I could even port it to the wiiu when it get's hacked. Anyway thanks for pointing me to the right direction and hopefully it won´t take a year to finish this. :)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I've thought for a long time, too, that the Wii really NEEDS a torrent client to really be complete. I do hope you can accomplish this. I like [user]PsyBlade[/user]'s plan of creating a Wii specific framework and then porting the core of an existing open sourced implementation into it.

I actually took a college course on this (I failed it, by the way) and the end, final project we were working towards practically during whole semester was an to make an extremely primitive P2P program "from scratch" (using a lot of libraries Linux already made available to us.) so, basically, writing something like this from scratch is a LOT of work. Porting is better.

bluegamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah ok the problem I´m having right now is actually time, I don´t have much free time to do this program so right now the progress is really slow..
I won´t be doing it from scratch so that will save time..
Anyway I think that when I have a beta ready i´ll post it here for you guys to criticise my work ... (especially the gui right now it´s ugly lol.)
...Just saying it might take time so don´t wait for this program anytime soon, you will know when it´s out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast