Gaming Wii on a 1080p TV?

jonm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been looking to get a HDTV and am probably gonna get a 1080p Samsung but I'm curious as to how my 480p Wii will look upscaled to 1080p, has anyone else got a 1080p TV, if so how's does your Wii look? (please don't say yellow
wink.gif
)

Presto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking to get a HDTV and am probably gonna get a 1080p Samsung but I'm curious as to how my 480p Wii will look upscaled to 1080p, has anyone else got a 1080p TV, if so how's does your Wii look? (please don't say yellow
wink.gif
)

it should look ok it looks fine on my 1080i tv

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It will look good if you use the component cables.

If you have a progressive scan DVD player remember that is only 480p unless you do some extra upconverting beyond what your TV does. The Wii will be handled the same way.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
well, i'm still new to HDTV, and i still need to get an upconverting DVD player(unless the 360 already does this) , but it looks fine on my 720p...

Marxian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the Samsung LE40F71 1080p TV and the Wii looks great using the official component cable. If you are considering this TV then my advice is to go for it.

Presto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

fartman16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a samsung 1080p 50" dlp. the wii doesn't look so great on it because the screen is so big, and i sit only about 5 feet away from the tv. i am using component cables, and a lot of times stuff will look square/boxy. i think the wii might actually look better on a smaller tv or one with less resolution. basically, the 1080p doesn't help at all for the wii, as a 480p will look the same. you'll only be spoiled watching 1080 of anything else. the wii isn't the right system/reason to justify paying for a 1080p tv set.

you generally can't upconvert component signals; only through hdmi.

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
it will look fine if you're a few meters from the TV, but as we all know you can't be too far away because the sensorbar's range sucks =(

jonm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it is the LE40F71 I'm going for, thanks Marxian
smile.gif

I'm not just getting it for the Wii though, it's mainly for my 360 & HDTV

coops024

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My Wii is hooked up to a 1080p tv (its the Sony 40W2000 model if your intrested) and it looks fantastic

I sit about 2 metres away from the screen!

Yeah you can see some non-smooth lines ... but if you wanted Graphics over gameplay you shoulda gone with the PS3!

The only thing I will say bad about it is the VC games dont look great on it unless you sit about 4 metres away ! because the TV shows up every imperfection on the game !

Also had the 360 hooked up to it ... breathtaking for Gears and Lost Planet !

My advice is get one ! one day the broadcasting standard will be 1080p so its as future proof as your gonna get !

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
That's correct. It's literally impossible for Wii to look 100% right on any modern HDTV. It does not allow a single wide resolution.

So what though? Rather pointless when zero stores within miles of here have stocked even one PS3 or Wii.

The broadcasters and game developers really need to catch up! Options well above 1080p were available to the general public on VGA monitors since at least 1998.

Anyone who has played Dead or Alive 4 or Virtua Fighter 4 knows first hand that standard analog TV continues to be capable of downright nuking any and all so-called "HD" sets out of the water in terms of image quality. However, when applied well an HDTV should look better overall across a wide variety of content.

jonm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
great! thanks guys, you've calmed my worries!
biggrin.gif

I'm not looking for the Wii to look fantastic in 1080p, as coops024 said, I didnt buy the Wii for graphics (that's what my 360 is for) I was just worried that it would end up looking crap after being upscaled but if you guys are happy with it then it sounds good to me
biggrin.gif

hav0k99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a samsung 1080p 50" dlp. the wii doesn't look so great on it because the screen is so big, and i sit only about 5 feet away from the tv. i am using component cables, and a lot of times stuff will look square/boxy. i think the wii might actually look better on a smaller tv or one with less resolution. basically, the 1080p doesn't help at all for the wii, as a 480p will look the same. you'll only be spoiled watching 1080 of anything else. the wii isn't the right system/reason to justify paying for a 1080p tv set.

you generally can't upconvert component signals; only through hdmi.

I have a samsung 50" DLP and it looks great. I'll have to see what I'm running it at. I think I have the TV set to native so maybe 480p

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: