Hacking Wii NAND explanation

pubert09

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dumped my Wii's NAND using FSToolbox and I was wondering if anyone could explain what all the directories are and what is located where on the NAND.
Any help would be great. Thanks!

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure others could explain what EXACTLY each folder is used for during the process of the nand being used but while you wait for a valid answer to your question you could always open your nand and take a look at it with showmiiwads and attempt to put 2 and 2 together. It gives you the title and path/folders that the ios are found and a whole lot more. It might be worth your while to check it out.

Go to the options tab and change nand backup path to the folder where your nand folder is found.

Hope that helped a little while you wait.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Typical NAND contents and what they include, based on what I've found:

* import: not sure. All my dumps had nothing in this folder.
* meta: metadata. Contains hardware descriptions and names of system components.
* shared1: seems to contain various system drivers and libraries.
* shared2: seems to contain setup data and logfiles, as well as data for some Wii stuff such as WC24 and Miis.
* sys: seems to contain some short-term system info. For example, the last disc loaded is recorded in here.
* ticket: contains records of what channels and DLC are installed.
* title: what we care about most. Contains the System Menu, IOSes, channels, and data.

Within title and tickets, the following folders are common:
* 00000001: system stuff. Contains System Menu, IOSes, MIOS, and other stuff.
* 00010000: save data. You can figure out what is what by entering any of the subfolders, then the data folder, and then opening the banner.bin in a hex editor to see the save title.
* 00010001: Nintendo channels, Wiiware and Virtual Console. As with save data, examining the banner.bin lets you see what's what.
* 00010002: more Nintendo Channels, such as Weather and Photo.
* 00010004: special WC24 channels, such as the Mario Kart channel.
* 00010005: game DLC. If you mess around with Rock Band DLC and stuff, this is where it ends up.
* 00010008: magic/technical stuff - stub and hidden channels such as DVDx are typically kept here, as well as Nintendo's EULA and Region Select.

Results may vary from Wii to Wii, and your Wii may have stuff that's not listed. Take a gander through your FS dumps (helps if you've got a hex editor to view raw .apps and .bins) and see what you find. If you're smart, you can even clean up your NAND dump without using ShowMiiWads.

Reactions: Dull and wailer247

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good info Szalkow, +1 on the response attempt.
smile.gif

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
Szalkow said:
* 00010008: magic stuff - stub channels such as DVDx are typically kept here.
I like magic stuff, but it's actually "hidden" channels. That's why DVDx is installed there.
That's what I'm implying. Hidden channels used by the homebrew community ("magic" if you enjoy the parlance) go there.
Frankly, I'm amazed Nintendo never just checks Wiis for a 00010008 folder in their piracy removal.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
We should have a topic like this and have the uid files etc and miis stuff, but I'm too lazy myself erm busy myself
tongue.gif

It would be cool though, if it listed the setting, messages and all the other stuff I cant think of just now.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It would be epic fail to assume the existence of that directory (/title/00010008) indicated homebrew, since their own channels use it (EULA and Region Select).

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
It would be epic fail to assume the existence of that directory (/title/00010008) indicated homebrew, since their own channels use it (EULA and Region Select).
True, forgot about those. They don't show in my NAND dump so it was easy to neglect them. A simple perusal of the NUSD database would have prevented my goof.

Edited my other post to appropriately address that directory.

There's still a lot I personally don't know about the NAND so if anyone wants to fill in gaps, go for it.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
tueidj said:
Can't they just check if there are other channels there then?
unsure.gif

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not by itself. The other wii won't be able to run it because the tickets will be missing. So you'll need to swap that folder around as well.

But still...I'd prefer using showmiiwads to pack whatever is installed on that emu-nand to wads and install those wads on another wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how this shit should work
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users