Wii Mode "options" comes from WiiU

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Carl Rivest, Nov 22, 2012.

Nov 22, 2012
  1. Carl Rivest
    OP

Newcomer Carl Rivest Member

Canada
    Hi sorry for my english im from french canada ;) Basicaly the wii mode settings comes from the wiiU and so, is there some "shared" things between the 2 systems? It's doesnt' look like there are fully isolated from each other...Since the wii mode is getting hacked maybe it is a potential flaw...What do you think?

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    As far as we know right now, Wii and Wii U's relation seems like a one-way street. Wii U can see into the Wii and change things (settings, updates, etc.), but Wii can't see out (except to tell Wii U it's quitting when the user goes back to Wii U menu). This may change though, once it is explored more.

For settings, many seem to think the Wii U menu just updates SYSCONF (the file where settings for a Wii are stored) when we change the settings on Wii U. That also would make the most sense, since any Wii code that checks that file for settings is going to expect it to exist and be accurate. We won't know for sure though until we can dump and examine it.

3. Carl Rivest
    OP

Newcomer Carl Rivest Member

Canada
    I guess only time will tell us more about that! Im used to wii hacking and read a lot about it so i think when someone finds a way to get more into the system like install tickets and mess with the nand something will may come out of it. But if it's like ds/3ds we have no real hope to see the wii mode hack can help for wiiU exploit or something.

4. Isle41

Member Isle41 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    It's probably built like the 3DS and DS settings.
    You could probably change the Wii Settings without changing the Wii U Settings like you can change the DS Settings without changing the 3DS settings.

Of course, I mean all this with hacks.