Hacking Wii Mod

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This question comes up a lot, and I have answered it in a lot of detail elsewhere so I'll just make this quick. Every app that runs on a wii has a mem location that it runs in. Usually there is never a conflict because there are strict rules on what runs in what memory space. App loaders work by reading in an app, loading it into memory that it is not using and switching to it(in short). I'm not farmiliar with Zantzue Rescue, but basically it's an app loader. Well so is Wii Mod(and MMM for that matter). But the only way for an app loader to be able to load another app loader is if they don't use the same memory location. Smarter app loaders might be able to find a way around this, I haven't heard of it for the wii though. So app loaders can not launch all other app loaders. And there will always be app loaders that can't launch a particular app loader(in this case Wii Mod).

Now why can MMM load from Zantzue Rescue? Because it uses a different mem location than Wii Mod. Which mem space? Don't know MMM is closed source.

Reactions: 1 person

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
This question comes up a lot, and I have answered it in a lot of detail elsewhere so I'll just make this quick. Every app that runs on a wii has a mem location that it runs in. Usually there is never a conflict because there are strict rules on what runs in what memory space. App loaders work by reading in an app, loading it into memory that it is not using and switching to it(in short). I'm not farmiliar with Zantzue Rescue, but basically it's an app loader. Well so is Wii Mod(and MMM for that matter). But the only way for an app loader to be able to load another app loader is if they don't use the same memory location. Smarter app loaders might be able to find a way around this, I haven't heard of it for the wii though. So app loaders can not launch all other app loaders. And there will always be app loaders that can't launch a particular app loader(in this case Wii Mod).

Now why can MMM load from Zantzue Rescue? Because it uses a different mem location than Wii Mod. Which mem space? Don't know MMM is closed source.
Does this also mean that game exploits may also fail to launch wiimod3 elf since they are also apploaders?

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this also mean that game exploits may also fail to launch wiimod3 elf since they are also apploaders?
Yes, it is possible that Wii Mod may have issues with certain game exploits. In fact I do not test most game exploits as I don't have many of the required games. But it is simple enough to change a single line in the source and recompile it if ever there was a need(say a very bricked wii). I also have never really looked at it as an issue as most people should be installing HBC with their first exploit, after that it is simple enough to start Wii Mod. There really aren't many situations where that is not an option(ModMii does cover some of these though), and I can't plan for Wii Mod to be started from every exploit out there.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it is possible that Wii Mod may have issues with certain game exploits. In fact I do not test most game exploits as I don't have many of the required games. But it is simple enough to change a single line in the source and recompile it if ever there was a need(say a very bricked wii). I also have never really looked at it as an issue as most people should be installing HBC with their first exploit, after that it is simple enough to start Wii Mod. There really aren't many situations where that is not an option(ModMii does cover some of these though), and I can't plan for Wii Mod to be started from every exploit out there.
I don't know about recent versions of Wii Mod, but in the original BLIND betas (which were based on either 2.7 or 2.8) worked fine with every exploit (both exploit->BLIND and exploit->cboot2->BLIND), and the only extra lines of code that are executed at the beginning are:
Code:
if ((IOS_GetRevision() != 16) && (!HAVE_AHBPROT)) // Make sure cboot2 and AHBPROT are not in place.
ReloadIos(IOS_GetVersion()); // Reloads IOS for autoboot disc to detect SD
and
Code:
if (VIDEO_HaveComponentCable()) {
// Use 480p if you have component cables
vmode = &TVNtsc480Prog;
} else {
// Use 480i otherwise
vmode = &TVNtsc480IntDf;
}
Everything else is accessed through the menu. Neither of those should be a problem, so I think it's safe to say that Wii Mod v2.7 (or 2.8, lol) worked fine with exploits. Most likely the new versions do as well.

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, and for the great app too ;)
No problem, glad you like the app.

Joostin if you are interested in what one line of code I'm talking about take a look at the Makefile. The relevant bit is "--section-start,.init=0x80300000". That number right there is what this is all about. So the rest of the source(the files actually in the source folder) does not matter for this issue, its only that number in the Makefile. And while you say 2.7 or 2.8 worked with all the exploits that you checked there still might be problems with certain exploits. For instance the version XFlak had issue with worked with the bannerbomb when I tested it but it would seem not every bannerbomb is the same though as that was the exploit that Wii Mod had issue with.

Reactions: 1 person

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, and for the great app too ;)
No problem, glad you like the app.

Joostin if you are interested in what one line of code I'm talking about take a look at the Makefile. The relevant bit is "--section-start,.init=0x80300000". That number right there is what this is all about. So the rest of the source(the files actually in the source folder) does not matter for this issue, its only that number in the Makefile. And while you say 2.7 or 2.8 worked with all the exploits that you checked there still might be problems with certain exploits. For instance the version XFlak had issue with worked with the bannerbomb when I tested it but it would seem not every bannerbomb is the same though as that was the exploit that Wii Mod had issue with.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, that explains it. I tested bannerbomb v1 and v2 far more than any others (it was the easiest to test by far), but I never thought to try the alternative versions. If you want, I would be happy to test for you.

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, that explains it. I tested bannerbomb v1 and v2 far more than any others (it was the easiest to test by far), but I never thought to try the alternative versions. If you want, I would be happy to test for you.
Got access to a korean wii? I think the problem XFlak mentioned was on a 3.3K wii loading Wii Mod from bannerbomb. I attempted to test it myself but with 3.3K loaded on my wii I couldn't find a bannerbomb that launched anything let alone Wii Mod. So it seems we may need an actual korean wii.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Got access to a korean wii? I think the problem XFlak mentioned was on a 3.3K wii loading Wii Mod from bannerbomb. I attempted to test it myself but with 3.3K loaded on my wii I couldn't find a bannerbomb that launched anything let alone Wii Mod. So it seems we may need an actual korean wii.
It shouldn't matter that your Wii isn't a Korean one. Are you positive you installed all the necessary wads for a region change?

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It shouldn't matter that your Wii isn't a Korean one. Are you positive you installed all the necessary wads for a region change?
I didn't think it should either, but yet I could not find a bb that launched for me. I shouldn't have needed any special wads but I did have all the nonstub korean IOSs installed. You're welcome to try it and if it bb works for you, hey cake will be served!!

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I've got a couple bug reports:
1) Priiloader will still interfere with returning to the System Menu. You need to change the code for loading the System Menu to this:
Code:
*(vu32*)0x8132FFFB = 0x50756e65; // "Pune" , causes priiloader to skip autoboot and load Sys Menu
DCFlushRange((void*)0x8132FFFB, 4); // Thanks to entropy for this line
ICInvalidateRange((void *)(0x8132FFFB), 4); // Thanks to FIX94 for this line
SYS_ResetSystem(SYS_RETURNTOMENU,0,0);

2) The News and Forecast channels have 2 parts that need to be installed. v3 is region free and should be installed on all Wii's. v7 (or v6, but that's outdated) are region specific. You should either have 2 separate categories, or just always include v3 in the install if there is a lower version.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the credit jsk :) Glad to see it's still being worked on :)

P.S. If anyone needs anything I'm done with school in Aug,22 so I'll be few and non till then but I can still test if you a PM.

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When my korean wii was korean and had 3.3k, it loaded bannerbomb v1 without issue. Bannerbomb should work fine on 3.3k.
I wasn't saying bb doesn't work on 3.3k on a korean wii. I was saying when I installed 3.3k on my usa wii I couldn't find a bb that worked. Granted I didn't try them all I did try the one Modmii picked for a 3.3k wii and some others.
I've got a couple bug reports:
1) Priiloader will still interfere with returning to the System Menu. You need to change the code for loading the System Menu to this:
Code:
*(vu32*)0x8132FFFB = 0x50756e65; // "Pune" , causes priiloader to skip autoboot and load Sys Menu
DCFlushRange((void*)0x8132FFFB, 4); // Thanks to entropy for this line
ICInvalidateRange((void *)(0x8132FFFB), 4); // Thanks to FIX94 for this line
SYS_ResetSystem(SYS_RETURNTOMENU,0,0);

2) The News and Forecast channels have 2 parts that need to be installed. v3 is region free and should be installed on all Wii's. v7 (or v6, but that's outdated) are region specific. You should either have 2 separate categories, or just always include v3 in the install if there is a lower version.
Thanks for the report Joostin. I'll get that first one in the next release. As for the second one though. Are you sure you need v3 as well as the region specific versions?
Thanks for the credit jsk :) Glad to see it's still being worked on :)

P.S. If anyone needs anything I'm done with school in Aug,22 so I'll be few and non till then but I can still test if you a PM.
np kylster, thanks for helping out. Wii Mod is only as capable as it is because of everyones small parts.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the report Joostin. I'll get that first one in the next release. As for the second one though. Are you sure you need v3 as well as the region specific versions?
Hmm, maybe not. I had both of them installed, but that's probably just because of a disc update. They have different title ID's.

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, maybe not. I had both of them installed, but that's probably just because of a disc update. They have different title ID's.
Yeah I mean you can have them both installed because of the different ids, but I'm not sure you need both. I ran a quick test and they both seem to work for me with just the latest region specific version. If others are having issue though I would like to know so I can fix it.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up, patching ios70 or ios80 on any non korean 4.2/4.3 system menu will give you the
Error:003
unauthorized device has been detected.
So don't do that. This would likely be done with wiimod, but there are other methods. Perhaps wiimod should remove the ability to [color=#009900 !important]patch the korean key into ios70 and ios80 as it will just[color=#009900 !important]brick[/color] a 4.2/4.3 wii.[/color]

jskyboo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone I want to thank everyone who has reported bugs and helped me test new versions of Wii Mod. Thanks to your help I've got a new version here with some of those bugs now fixed. Special thanks to mauifrog for reporting that error 003 issue, as well as Joostin, MassiveRican, Albatroz, and others. Details are in the changelog so here is Wii Mod v3.2.

Download:http://www.mediafire...dbjdoelj94ai1ef

Changelog since 3.1 :
Code:
Fixed AutoLoadIos
Warns of error 003 when patching korean key into IOS 70 or 80 on a non korean wii
Added DisableControllerButtonHold, if set to 1 menus will no longer react to buttons being held down
More Wiimote cleanup
USB fixed( but temperamental DisableSetAHBPROT = 1 AutoLoadIOS = 0 )
Now compiled with devkitPPC 26 and libogc 1.8.11.1

Reactions: 5 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    +1
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    Damn that's bonkers mate, it's almost like we've never met!
    Probably just my imagination
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: