Hacking Wii Mod brick alert... please help...

endoverend

AKA zooksman
OP
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I have a NTSC-U Wii with HBC, Priiloader, and Bootmii (ios) installed. It has wii menu version 4.3U, and I wanted to patch IOS36 w/Fakesign using Wii Mod v3.0. So I opened it up and went to the IOS menu. But then I had to go somewhere, so my Wii was left on, on the IOS menu. As it turns out, my little brother decided to try to do what I was doing before I had to leave. What I'm guessing he did was go to ios36 and try to downgrade it, and I have a LU64+ wii. Yeah. Anyway, I came back to see that Wii Mod has a red banner at the top, and it says "BRICK ALERT - Missing System Menu IOS - BRICK ALERT" above the ios menu. I freaked out and tried to install IOS 80 for the system menu. It told me I had a higher version installed already, but when I go to the IOS menu it shows that I have NO ios's installed. NONE. I can't successfully install ANY ios, and I seem to have lost AHBPROT permissions. I am freaking scared to death to turn off the wii or exit the app. Is it even possible to have the wii on with no IOS?? Is the app just messing with me? I can't see the normal descriptions of the IOS's. Please help me...

endoverend

AKA zooksman
OP
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I figured that might help too, but I'm actually really scared to exit the app now. Bootmii is installed as IOS though, so if my system menu IOS is actually missing, I won't be able to restore it.

UPDATE: I was able to exit the app and return to HBC. Now, I need to know, should I return to the Wii Menu?

drottning

amateur wii hacker
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ahh i know that feel... i dont think you should return to the wii menu since the ios is missing and that might completely fuck you over. try going to bootmii from HBC?

(from wiibrew)
If the Wii NAND filesystem is corrupt, the System Menu's IOS is missing or invalid, or the System Menu executable is missing or invalid, then the system will refuse to boot and nothing will be displayed on the screen. Depending on the exact cause of failure, Preloader or BootMii/boot2 can fix (and are required to fix) this sort of brick, assuming they are installed and the system boots far enough to run them.
A broken Wifi Module will present the same symptoms, but can only be fixed by replacing the module.

If you installed BootMii as part of an IOS, then you will need Preloader installed. Go to the HBC via Preloader, then select Launch BootMii from the main menu.

Marcell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
You are lucky that your brother didn't turn it off afterwards. If you don't have BootMII in boot2 (which you don't), a shutdown or return to the system menu is very risky.
I think your best bet would be to try to start BootMII from your currently running Homebrew channel and to do a full NAND restore from there.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Priiloader uses the same IOS as the system menu (at least by default). If that IOS is missing or stubbed, Priiloader will not do you any good.

If you exited to the HBC and it still runs that means there can't be no IOSs on the system since the HBC is using one (you can check that in the menu).
Sounds to me Wii Mod is just being buggy.

You could use syscheck to see the IOSs on your system.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
you have HBC running, right?
Why don't you just run a syscheck and if anything wrong, just rehack with modmii (install missing wads etc without "leaving" HBC, since you can return to it)

endoverend

AKA zooksman
OP
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I did a syscheck, and nothing seemed to be wrong. So I mustered up all my courage and returned to the system menu, and it WORKED! I guess Wii Mod was just bitching, I'm never using that app again. Turns out IOS36 actually did get fakesigned. Huh. Anyway thank you all! I guess it was kinda obvious that the wii was fine, considering that there's no way to run a wii that has all the ios's uninstalled. Bye1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1