zipperdoyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So,

I installed HBC and Boot Mii and saved a backup of my 2.0u system nand. I then upgraded to 3.2u using the downgrader and saved a copy of the nand and played for a few days. I then upgraded to the 4.0u using waninkoko update and saved the nand. I played the Wii for a few days and recently played a Wii ware channel, which I've played before. After playing a few games I selected go to Wii Menu and the system locked up completely with a black screen. Now I can sometimes get to the Boot mii screen but when I try to go to the Wii or HBC it just has a black screen. I've tried loading my various back up points and I still get the black screen after loading up the Wii. I've loaded up old nand's in the past so I know that I've done this correctly.

Any suggestions? I'm assuming the thing is completely bricked and it may be a hardware issue. I've tried two different video cables and I get the same thing.

ZD

zipperdoyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've reset the Wii to all nand save points and I'm still getting nowhere. I can get to Bootmii screen but when I try to load up the Wii menu or the HBC just a black screen. When I unplug the SD card with the Boot mii startup still just a black screen. Sometimes I can eject the disk and other times I cannot. It also does not sound like the Wii is starting up (fans, etc.) when it goes to the black screen. Very quiet. Any help would be appreciated as I can't figure out why it would stop working all of a sudden after playing a Wii ware channel.

Thanks,

ZD

zipperdoyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm able to read and write to the nand chip through the Boot Mii screen so I'm thinking it is some other hardware related issues. I've searched everywhere about the "black screen of death" and it seems most people are returning them back to Nintendo.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
zipperdoyle said:
I'm able to read and write to the nand chip through the Boot Mii screen so I'm thinking it is some other hardware related issues. I've searched everywhere about the "black screen of death" and it seems most people are returning them back to Nintendo.
If you can backup and restore your NAND then it might be your bluetooth receiver. So can you turn the Wii on with your Wiimote? If not then you might have a broken bluetooth receiver. If so you can get a replacement for like $14 on dealextreme.

Check out this page and scroll to the bottom cause Branch D sounds like your situation.
http://savemii.net/troubleshooting.html

Try SaveMii/SaveMiiFree to help diagnose your situation. Looks like it could be your WiFi as well.

zipperdoyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great link to diagnose the problem!

So I can turn the system on using the wiimote so I assume it's not a bluetooth issue. I'm hunting for a GC controller to determine if it's the wifi module. Are those easy to replace?

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
To be honest I have no clue about the WiFi. The only reason I know a little about this is cause I corrupted my NAND a couple weeks back without BootMii so I had to go through the diagnoses process. SaveMiiFree did nothing for me which is too be expected cause the NAND was hooped. For you it sounds like the NAND is ok.

So if it is the Wifi (or the bluetooth for that matter) do you really wanna fix this yourself or do you wanna just send it to Nintendo and let them deal with it. Warranty might be an issue but it never hurts to call. My Wii was 2 years out of warranty and they still brought it in under warranty so it was entirely free for me. I suppose there is the issue of mod chips, pirated VC/WiiWare etc.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sonic4Ever said:
beegee7730 said:
Sounds like hardware, maybe a fried NAND chip...(?)

This can't be. Boot2 is stored on NAND.

QUOTE(zipperdoyle @ Jun 10 2009, 06:20 PM)
correct and correct
wink.gif

good job guys
smile.gif

and also, before you call nintendo about it, have you considered the charges if they fix your wii and find the HBC and such installed?
tongue.gif
its apparently alot more with homebrew on it.

so it's probably ALOT safer to go about it yourself, or get a friend to do it if you're worried
tongue.gif

zipperdoyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm nearly certain I installed it as boot2 and not IOS. The wii is still not working correctly and the only way to get to the Bootmii screen is when I hold the reset and press the eject button. I don't remember how much noise the Wii makes when it starts up but I sometimes here a few beeps and the disk drive spinning. Other times it's just silent. After getting past the bootmii screen the tv does not recognize the signal and it still has the tv input logo on the screen.

I've been searching around for the black screen problem and I've not seen any good solutions. I've tried the savemiifrii fix and I'm unable to get to the screen. Anything else I could do?

One other note is that sometimes when I turn it on Bootmii loads and disk spins and other times Bootmii does not load and nothing. It takes a few times to get the bootmii screen.

zipperdoyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About to throw this thing out the window. So I was able to get the savemiifrii working twice and one of those times it went to the actual wii system menu. I tried clicking on the homebrew channel and it locked it up. Now when I start my wii it is a crap shoot. Sometimes I get the bootmii screen others time I don't. Know I'm really struggling to get the bootmii screen as I've been unsuccessful the past several times.
wacko.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.