Gaming Wii input lag - CRT better than LCD?

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Delta517 said:
LCD>Plasma>CRT

LCD screens are best since its made for both movies and gaming. Plasma however is only made for movies, which makes the display when gaming worse than LCD screens. CRT just sucks...
tongue.gif

Did you just seriously skip through the entire topic? LCDs aren't made with gaming in mind. Well.. nor is any televisions but many LCDs do quite horribly when you play "older generation" consoles.

Drag0nflamez

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Anakir said:
Delta517 said:
LCD>Plasma>CRT

LCD screens are best since its made for both movies and gaming. Plasma however is only made for movies, which makes the display when gaming worse than LCD screens. CRT just sucks...
tongue.gif

Did you just seriously skip through the entire topic? LCDs aren't made with gaming in mind. Well.. nor is any televisions but many LCDs do quite horribly when you play "older generation" consoles.
yes cuz the NES, SNES & N64 existed in an era before widescreen.. though gamecube likes them more, and wii is optimalized...

And Guitar Hero (360 at least) can be set to slow down the controller input so it would work out. not sure about other games.
To make long things short: just get a mainstream LCD TV

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Anakir said:
kimikal27 said:
but look how old it is, in 5 years much as happen

I agree the post is old but its still very informative. It explained clearly why there are consoles that lag with LCDs. And, although its old, all LCDs out there that will still give a varying degree of lag. I'm never gonna touch an LCD with my wii. I can barely play the games I want on them. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to very technical games like super smash bros. melee. I try my best to make every frame count and an LCD cannot do that for me even if its the best one out there as it still has input lag.

QUOTE(kimikal27 @ Jun 13 2010, 10:18 PM) i do play GH ALLOT
smile.gif

guess i have a good LCD for gaming then
cool

You might just be used to the input lag from your LCD. If you played it from the start, that should explain why. If you spent many years playing on a CRT and switch to an LCD with the same game, I'm sure you'd beg to differ, even if it is very minimal.

I.ve just recently switched over to LCD Sasmsung 32b650 Full HD, with component cables.
I play a lot of old skool VS fighting games. TIMIMG is very, very important.
Most TV nowadays have a function called "gaming mode". This is obviosly for a reason.
This mode disables all "enhancements" the onboard TV chip produces. This results in a LAG FREE GAMING EXPERIENCE.

As a matter of fact, my old CRT TV lags more than my LCD. it's a JVC 50 inch, 4:3 50HZ. It was for me the MAIN reason to buy an LCD.

Centimetro

Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
Hielkenator said:
I.ve just recently switched over to LCD Sasmsung 32b650 Full HD, with component cables.
Most TV nowadays have a function called "gaming mode". This is obviosly for a reason.
This mode disables all "enhancements" the onboard TV chip produces. This results in a LAG FREE GAMING EXPERIENCE.

As a matter of fact, my old CRT TV lags more than my LCD. it's a JVC 50 inch, 4:3 50HZ. It was for me the MAIN reason to buy an LCD.

Gaming mode attempts to reduce lag, with varying degrees of success depending on the model of TV. It does not eliminate lag.

If you can't notice it then that's good for you though, I suppose

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not input lag, it's output lag. It comes from the scaler unit in the TV. Say the normal resolution of the TV is 1280x1024 and the Wii is outputting 480p - the images need to be upscaled to display on the LCD / Plasma. The lag is quite noticable on some cheaper TVs but for the most part 99% of TVs you will never notice the difference of a millisecond or two.

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you really want the best of both worlds you could get a super low response time monitor with component inputs... my current pc monitor is at 2ms response time... pretty nifty (no component on mine though, just dvi)

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Delta517 said:
LCD>Plasma>CRT

tongue.gif

I bet my 720p CRT would kill the majority of LCD's in black levels alone. Not to mention absolutely ZERO lag.

QUOTE(Hielkenator @ Jul 11 2010, 01:27 AM) I.ve just recently switched over to LCD Sasmsung 32b650 Full HD, with component cables.

That's a complete fabrication. The B630 series has up to 60ms lag in game mode, there's no way possible that any CRT could lag more. Samsung's are well known to have some of the worst input lag in lcd's.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
D34DL1N3R said:
Delta517 said:
LCD>Plasma>CRT

tongue.gif

I bet my 720p CRT would kill the majority of LCD's in black levels alone. Not to mention absolutely ZERO lag.

That's a complete fabrication. The B630 series has up to 60ms lag in game mode, there's no way possible that any CRT could lag more. Samsung's are well known to have some of the worst input lag in lcd's.

That's why I have a B650 not a B630, In comparison this screen has the blackest of the blackest levels Without sacrificing contrast.
I recon you.ve never seen or tried any of these screens have you. I also would like to notice that I,m using it's latest firmware Updated via usb slot.
It also has an built in media player as well as networking capability's. I choose an relatively small screen, 32". running at 480P with component. So the screen is'nt build up from lines ( progressive.) it al contributes in a lag free gaming experience.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
apoptygma said:
It's not input lag, it's output lag. It comes from the scaler unit in the TV. Say the normal resolution of the TV is 1280x1024 and the Wii is outputting 480p - the images need to be upscaled to display on the LCD / Plasma. The lag is quite noticable on some cheaper TVs but for the most part 99% of TVs you will never notice the difference of a millisecond or two.

Normal resolution of a tv is 1024x 768.
Wii is 720 x 480i or Wii is 720 x 480p( component ).
A normal Plasma tv will not have progressive scan or an higher res. than 1024 x 768.
You'll need an LCD with HD ready or Full Hd capability's.
In general LCD will have an higher resolution.

Resolution of any tv is more than enough for Wii, no upscaling needed.
This is for an reason, namely the tv or the wii do.nt have to make an consessions regarding upscaling.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-