Gaming Wii/GC ripping questions

MeowTheMouse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
1- Whats the best way to check Wii game integrity? Is it 100% reliable?
Wii back up manager is the best tool to check Wii game integrity.

2- Anyway to check GC games integrity?
From the research I've done, GCM is the only way to check GC Integrity. If anyone knows an other tool to check GC integrity, please let me know as GCM is VERY out dated.

3- Is it possible to rip GC games trimmed? I first use my wii to rip and then I use DMT to trim games.
USB Loader GX rips GC games trimmed.

4- Anyway to mass trim games? DMT does each game individually.
5- Does trimming corrupt data or is it 99.9% safe?

*off topic*
6- Is it possible to run wads from a hard drive?

Sorry if these question have been answered before, and thanks for any input!

Reactions: nix31

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Wii Backup Manager and sha-1 hash from tools. Not 100% but really close.

3- Is it possible to rip GC games trimmed? I first use my wii to rip and then I use DMT to trim games.
Safer to rip 1:1 IMO, hard disk space is realtively cheap, trims aren't always working with DM(L) and devolution (far better option if you have original games) needs 1:1.

MeowTheMouse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
@Iwiz
Ah thanks for the answers, but I was wondering, if 1:1 is safer, does that mean WBFS is less safe than ripping games to ISO?

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
GC games don't use wbfs images at all only ISO. Wii games can be loaded from both, although some dual layer games only work reliably from single image and thus need NTFS formatted partition.

MeowTheMouse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I was talking about Wii games, as WBFS is equivalent of trimmed GC games :P
And games that are over 4gb don't work properly on FAT? I tested brawl and I had no issues :/ oh well, maybe didn't test enough but hopefully I won't have any issues.

ScreamingBeast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was talking about Wii games, as WBFS is equivalent of trimmed GC games :P
And games that are over 4gb don't work properly on FAT? I tested brawl and I had no issues :/ oh well, maybe didn't test enough but hopefully I won't have any issues.

The Last Story crashes at the same exact point every time, after about 8h of gameplay, if loaded from a FAT32 drive. Other users that helped me for that issue suggested that it might have been caused by the loaders which were unable to make the switch between the 2 parts of the wbfs file on my FAT32 HDD.

So I've put the same files in the same format through the same process BUT on a NTFS usb stick instead just to past that specific part, and it now does work wonderfully.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
USB loader gx can rip GC games trimmed for you with 32k alignment or not, to sd or USB HDD.
I wonder why not a lot of people know this...

MeowTheMouse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
@screamingbeast
blah! FAT32 crashes on large games, NTFS doesn't support GC games. Is there a way to solve this other than splitting my hard drive into FAT32 and NTFS? Maybe its fixed/more stable with the newer updates?

@Hielkenator
Thanks! That's a very useful info!

MeowTheMouse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
USB loader gx can rip GC games trimmed for you with 32k alignment or not, to sd or USB HDD.
I wonder why not a lot of people know this...

Does 32k alignment give any advantages? And trimmed ripping for GC games doesn't seem to work! Its just ripping them normally :(

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Does 32k alignment give any advantages? And trimmed ripping for GC games doesn't seem to work! Its just ripping them normally :(
32k alignment can help for games that have sound issues. It can also allow faster loading for some games.
Are you using DIOSMIOS? or Devolution?

If there's a problem with ripping games I suggest posting in the usb loader gx thread here onm gba temp or send cyan a PM.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wii back up manager is the best tool to check Wii game integrity.

2- Anyway to check GC games integrity?
From the research I've done, GCM is the only way to check GC Integrity. If anyone knows an other tool to check GC integrity, please let me know as GCM is VERY out dated.

USB Loader GX rips GC games trimmed.

4- Anyway to mass trim games? DMT does each game individually.
5- Does trimming corrupt data or is it 99.9% safe?

*off topic*
6- Is it possible to run wads from a hard drive?

Sorry if these question have been answered before, and thanks for any input!
6. is possible with emulated NAND but I have no experience with it.

MeowTheMouse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
32k alignment can help for games that have sound issues.
So should GC games always be ripped with 32k alignment? does this also help running games on dolphin?

Are you using DIOSMIOS? or Devolution?
Actually, I'm testing out both. As I LOVE Devolution, I have more than a Wii and it sounds tedious to "verify" each and every game, plus I can't find a way to use features such as running trimmed games and forcing wide screen.

If there's a problem with ripping games I suggest posting in the usb loader gx thread here onm gba temp or send cyan a PM.
I'll be more than happy to help, I'll test ripping more and report the issue if I continue to encounter.

@The Read Jdbye
Thanks for the tip!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: