Gaming ****Wii Firmware 3.0U****

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Compatible with Wii. I think it was v1.14b, but yeah it sucks that you have to go through all of these things just to play imports.
There is a way to burn a bootdisc with action replay on it, that way you only have to swap discs once like normal.
Also you can boot USA games from GCOS, but maybe the update isn't worth all the work.

version 1.14b is the older version of action replay with the old interface, it looks like this:

actionreplay.jpg

gamecube-actionreplay-freeloader-screen1.jpg

version 1.0E is the "compatible on the Wii" version which is the one i have which looks like this:

41oSE5HgGUL._AA280_.jpg

there is also a very old version 1.06 that i have also and they are all native PAL it would be very interesting which ones don't and do work but i won't be updating to find out unfortunately.

GCOS -> USA Game works exactly as it would when you boot with Freeloader, so I don't see the problem...

i don't like gcos interface, there is no action replay support and gamecube games have to be on a multi disc to work, all my gamecube games are on mini dvd's (excluding the legit games)

I don't think games have to be on a multi disc to run using GCOS. You can put in any normal game or a backup game and it'll detect and boot it fine. I have to use it for some of my NTSC games that dont boot normally.

Strag0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I don't find it scary at all! Nintendo is doing what any responsible company would do. I'm sure they're getting a high volume of damaged Wiis due to people soldering in their own chips and/or updating their system with the wrong version updater. So to cover their asses, they put a warning in their newest update telling us they're not responsible. Also, I agree with others on the board that I think they've also said it because of the fact they can't make every update mod friendly.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
I hate to come back to this, but this is wrong. Yes, pirated software is one thing, and if they remove the possibility for people to use it, then that is fine and there are no issues with that.
However once you have purchased a Wii, whether or not you void your warranty by way of opening the system, or even scratching off the serial number, it is not legal for the company to intentionally damaging your system. Modifying the system does not mean you have 'no rights left'.
nintendo has every right not to let your system support a modification chip by stopping you using illegal software via an update if they so wish.

Think of it like a house, or car, or PC. If you change the wallpaper in your house, or get some fuzzy dice in your car, or change the hard drive in your PC - it doesn't mean that the manufacturer, the retailer, the police or anyone else can just come in and say - sorry you shouldn't have changed that, now we have to destroy it.
you void your warranty on a pc the minute you open it up the same as you do the wii if you purchased it as a complete system.
this is by no means the same but thanks for playing.
they are warning you as they did in the beginning (in your manuals) against modifying your system but you took it upon yourselves to do so. don't try to tell me i'm just pointing out the plain and simple facts from the nintendo sites. people are saying "i'm going to sue" when i'm saying they have no legal stand point when they've modified their wii's to use an additional firmware and modchip in the first place to allow them to play pirated software. i don't see anyone saying i'm gonna sue wiikey etc. for not forseeing such a problem.
QUOTE(shery @ Aug 7 2007, 03:23 PM)They can certainly take civil actions through the courts, akin to what the RIAA and MPAA do - but they cannot make software that would cripple your Wii or your modchip intentionally.
like i've said before they have the rights to cut off the support system to your modification chip to what capacity it will 'brick" it is yet to be seen.

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
You realize it'll be cheaper to buy a second Wii than to do anything involving a court system, lawyers, etc. $250US won't get you too far in the RL Phoenix Wright.

Modding a system has its risks. It is not guaranteed to you. Deal with it. Sheesh.

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder how many people out there are going to see the Nintendo message about unauthorised modifications and go "What modifications? Google search! Wiikey??? GET!!!!"

Did this topic make it above 200 viewers? The highest I saw was 198.

RevoDS

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Whether it is legal for them or not to brick modded Wiis doesn't matter IMO. They still wouldn't.

If Nintendo is unable to disable the chips while letting the core Wii intact, they won't touch them. The few games that people with chipped Wiis will buy (at least part of them) would bring them more money than nothing at all, eh? Remember that Nintendo is an enterprise, and its goal is to make money. I think the amount of games they'd still sell far outweighs the very small number of people who would be willing to invest in another Wii. So I don't think they'll go as far as bricking modded consoles. Of course, they'll try disabling the modchips, but if they fail I think they'll just let them intact.

That said, I hate myself for installing this update...I was gonna install a modchip later this week, but it seems it's gonna wait with the blocked setup disks...

kalimero

Uncle Rupee
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow this is clever Ninty.

Scare all the modders, so they don't want to update their Wiis ever. Then they stick with backups and use brick blocker on them rather then buying new games.

dokchua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated this morning without looking at the forums. WiiKey user, US version of wii.
Success. Mods work, wii did not brick.

3.0U

Oh yeah. I didn't get the warning about bricking the wii with the update.

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I hate to come back to this, but this is wrong. Yes, pirated software is one thing, and if they remove the possibility for people to use it, then that is fine and there are no issues with that.
However once you have purchased a Wii, whether or not you void your warranty by way of opening the system, or even scratching off the serial number, it is not legal for the company to intentionally damaging your system. Modifying the system does not mean you have 'no rights left'.
nintendo has every right not to let your system support a modification chip by stopping you using illegal software via an update if they so wish.

QUOTE(shery @ Aug 7 2007, 03:23 PM)Think of it like a house, or car, or PC. If you change the wallpaper in your house, or get some fuzzy dice in your car, or change the hard drive in your PC - it doesn't mean that the manufacturer, the retailer, the police or anyone else can just come in and say - sorry you shouldn't have changed that, now we have to destroy it.
you void your warranty on a pc the minute you open it up the same as you do the wii if you purchased it as a complete system.
they are warning you as they did in the beginning (in your manuals) against modifying your system but you took it upon yourselves to do so. don't try to tell me i'm just pointing out the plain and simple facts from the nintendo sites. people are saying "i'm going to sue" when i'm saying they have no legal stand point when they've modified their wii's to use an additional firmware and modchip in the first place to allow them to play pirated software. i don't see anyone saying i'm gonna sue wiikey etc. for not forseeing such a problem.

Not true you only void your computer warranty if you mess with a particular part since the warranty is on the components and not the PC as a whole .

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country

Think of it like a house, or car, or PC. If you change the wallpaper in your house, or get some fuzzy dice in your car, or change the hard drive in your PC - it doesn't mean that the manufacturer, the retailer, the police or anyone else can just come in and say - sorry you shouldn't have changed that, now we have to destroy it.

Not true you only void your computer warranty if you mess with a particular part since the warranty is on the components and not the PC as a whole .
look argue about this one somewhere else there's enough moaning in this thread.
rolleyes.gif

Fragout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick~! some1 with those unworkable games when on 2.2U/J/E pls update the wiki~! let us know the results, thx~! :respect:~!

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm...well this sucks :| I'm not gonna risk updating my PAL wii [wiikey] incase it decides to spontaneously combust...hopefully the wiikey team will design a good update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified...