Gaming ****Wii Firmware 3.0U****

KINGOFNOOBS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is not going to do anything to purposely brick your console, modded or not, all they are saying is they obviously don't test for WiiKey/WiiNinja/etc compatability, so they have no idea whether it will work or not so don't blame them.

Also, I predict 4.0U bundled with Smash Bros Brawl and it will have everything we want such as Run games off SD card, etc.

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
Did this topic make it above 200 viewers? The highest I saw was 198.

edit: this topic has 14,136 views now.

I meant viewERS (users currently viewing the page).

Never mind....
gba.gif

Raging Demon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop predicting stuff, kingsofnoobs, and go back to pspupdates to discuss lua dragonball games.

The whole purpose of this update WAS to test their security features; all the other annonced features were petty things like new clock placements and so on.

Nintendo of America has a security team working on those things all week, they know very well whats going on and they have access to expensive equipement and very highly skilled people; lots of former sceners as well. Nintendo has been on the anti-piracy game since the super nintendo days, don't ever think of them as 'a bunch of old crusty men in a board meeting room'.

The purpose of this update was to remind everyone that they own the place and they can do what they want. The several reports of broken systems is exactly what they want; they want to intigate fear, just like in the snes days.

They do test and they do know what its going to do. The popup message is a way of discouraging people; you'll have some more mainstream (think moms and familie) going 'what, the modchip can kill the wii? I'll think i'll call the store where we got it done and ask the guy to take it off' and they will spread this to all of their family friends.

Those kind of scares update are not made to piss off internet-aware users, but to scare regular users.

I think the plan would be to wait and see whats going to happen in the upcoming days; we'll see what the different chip makers will be able to do about this situation.

In the meantime, calm the fuck down.

bootmonster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you void your warranty on a pc the minute you open it up the same as you do the wii if you purchased it as a complete system.
this is by no means the same but thanks for playing.

That thing about your PC is simply not true, yo seriously think by opening a PC that you would void your warranty. Please. I work for a very large PC company, and this is a very common misconception, a PC is upgradeable by nature.

I can understand what you say about having the right to disable your modchip, thats fine, they even have the right to block you from playing online, however they cannot cripple your console, i.e if you were to remove the chip it would still cease to function. that is something different entirely.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
That thing about your PC is simply not true, yo seriously think by opening a PC that you would void your warranty. Please. I work for a very large PC company, and this is a very common misconception, a PC is upgradeable by nature.
This man speaks the truth. Granted, if you buy one from a halfway manufacturer like Dell or similar it might be against their warranty ToS, but in general you're allowed to service it yourself as long as you know what you're doing.

The_Cylon_Surfer

Trophies
XP
Country
It was only a matter of time. At least a Wii is not too expensive to buy again if you do get banned from Nintendo’s online service (even if its really bad and not worth using). I haven’t seen a single online game yet to justify the Wii even having an online service let alone banning you from it.

I for one will disconnect my Wii from my wireless network until I read what exactly this update does and or if Nintendo are indeed tracking or building any statistics about me or my console ( I dont mind a ban but I don’t like spying). I ran the risk by installing a Wiikey and I have 30 working copies to play, if I think about it like that even if my Wii was banned today I have still saved about £1200 so I couldn’t really give a toss.

But on a side note I have always wondered something. If the Wiikey team had managed to block or brick clone chips what’s to stop Nintendo from implementing this to block or brick all other Modchips including the Wiikey.....

Maybe today re-illustrates the need for a real Wii hack. The PSP is continually plagued by updates but since custom Firmware’s were introduced this has become less of an issue. Good luck to everyone.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
you void your warranty on a pc the minute you open it up the same as you do the wii if you purchased it as a complete system.
this is by no means the same but thanks for playing.

I can understand what you say about having the right to disable your modchip, thats fine, they even have the right to block you from playing online, however they cannot cripple your console, i.e if you were to remove the chip it would still cease to function. that is something different entirely.
oh christ almighty.
ok i didn't go into enough detail, get over it will you.
i've had a pc purchased from new (which i should have been clear about in the original context) where by if you remove or modify (internally) original parts you void your warranty and one that i had an item replaced by which put a warranty sticker across to stop you opening it. i just wasn't very cleaar which i was talking about.
please feel free to have a cow about it now won't you.
now just carry on about your day n stuff.
rolleyes.gif

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
This man speaks the truth. Granted, if you buy one from a halfway manufacturer like Dell or similar it might be against their warranty ToS, but in general you're allowed to service it yourself as long as you know what you're doing.
yeh but even if i wanted to prove the terms of my original agreement if they differ from this the place i purchased it from no longer exists so that part of my original statement can't be verified.
rolleyes.gif

i got mine from tiny so this is more than probably the case too, who knows.
smile.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
just for your refrence for people in europe

quoted from nintendo europe's website privacy section

QUOTE said:
If you own a Wii console or if you buy such console in the future, and you link your Club Nintendo account to your Wii Shop Channel account [for details please click here] Nintendo will collect information about the way you use your Wii and the Wii Network Services including, but not limited to, information about the games you download and/or play and how long you play them. This information may be stored in Nintendo's database to customize the website for you, to provide individualized information about Nintendo products to you and for other Marketing Purposes.

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/privacy/index.jsp

crystal107

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Wow, I've read all the messages here @_@ that's a pretty big deal.
I have modified Wii with Wiikey PAL system, version 2.2E,
And after reading this... I don't really want to update this month until' it is more safe.

Meanwhile, I don't believe Nintendo will brick Wii or Modchip by choice, It's just because of the bricking of Wii with NTSC paper mario on PAL systems. after all, modchips are not totally illegal, if you own the original, you can have a copy of your game just to make sure that a scrach on the original disc won't make you buy the game again.
They are against piracy, not backup games.

Though, the modchips weren't made by nintendo, so they are not responsible to any damage made to your modded Wii because of their updates to unmodded systems.
About OpenWii, there is only one complaint about this, another person said it works fine.

setup discs - probably something with the software trying to find some information that is only on Nintendo's game discs, and unable to find it on setup discs, so it gives an error - I don't think they went through ALL setup discs the disable them, I heard the setup disc on openWii works fine even after the update.

I believe that if nintendo really wanted to stop piracy, they would ban you from online games and such, not bricking your Wii.
A way they don't risk themselves with angry Wii owners.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Stop predicting stuff, kingsofnoobs,
that's the thing too many people are running around predicting this and that about stuff they have little knowledge about when it comes to these sytems. one person gets an opinion and another reads their opinion and they carry it on like a game of chinese whispers from site to site.
this was part of the point i was making earlier today. you are playing with your systems on the heresay on internet sites and then throwing the blame at nintendos door step.
ok so i have a bag of magic beans and they really work honest, does anyone want to buy them
laugh.gif

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well for wiikey users so far there's no downside to upgrading really unless you used sdload perhaps.. or action replay
as the setup disc works thru gcos, it seems to me like the blocking of that disc is not that sophisticated.. perhaps a disc title check or whatnot?

But it's ofcourse a good idea to wait a day or two for possible other issues to come up! better safe than sorry

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

Its not agains Dells ToS as I asked them when I purchased my Dell, they expect you to update the pc. Some pc manufactures want you to use them to come and install the products for you or your warrenty is invalid. Its very silly saying you can install a drive or more memory very easily. My first PC I made that mistake on, I was a n00b at the time and got PC world to fit me a cd rewriter. I thought it would be ok, but the PC manufacturer had to fix it. My pc warrenty I'd expired within 2 weeks
laugh.gif
That was a shitty pc anyway and was out of date in a year. My dell is still going strong after 5 years.

shery

Trophies
XP
Country
shelleeson, what I'm trying to point out to you is that your wii is your property and not the big N's. Sure the warranty is void by modding it, sure they can attempt to restrict it by blocking online play, by circumventing the chip, refining new processes etc, but they cannot damage the machine in any way, unless it is by accident of course because they cannot account for your modified hardware.

edit: and I'm not exactly seeing hordes of people saying they will sue Nintendo or anything - we're just discussing the possible actions Nintendo can take, in our limited legal knowledge - from there we can perhaps better understand what they would be likely to do with any countermeasures they make seek to employ.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Shhhhhh. Don't say Bananas. JM will get horny again :mellow:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Oh God no :ohnoes:
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pineapple is the safe word?
    But you said pine apple...
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough...