Trophies
XP
Country
To sum up the conference,

Action Replay = GC homebrew
Action Replay + backdoor 1 = gc isos
backdoor 2 = gc homebrew and gc isos and wii iso's

backdoor 1 - they found the password "MATSHITA DVD-GAME"
backdoor 2 - add microcontroller to tell the dvd drive the standard dvd-r has been accepted as legit

What this all means? We will be able to flash our wii dvd drive (like xbox 360) to accept Wii Copied Games ONLY!! No homebrew as the Wii disks are signed and encrypted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTx2MAOspS4&eurl=

A

Azngamer15

wait wait wait, whats backdoor? i wanna play my gamecube isos on my wii....

*edit* nevermind, i see, we gotta wait a bit then...

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
backdoor 2 - add microcontroller to tell the dvd drive the standard dvd-r has been accepted as legit

Isn't this essentially what all modchips are?

Yes in general, but it's a unique process for every console, that's what this conference is all about. If it were just that simple the same essential modchips would work across different consoles.

But this guys is saying that the Wii anti-piracy strategy is almost identical to the GC strategy, so most of the research has been done, it just needs to be implemented. The implementation is relatively easy, since you know what you need to do and how you need to do it.

So the issue is that although we can run exact copies of signed code, we can't run our own unsigned code yet, at least not in Wii mode. I don't see how that's much of a problem since the GC engine is in the Wii, Homebrew developers can continue just developing for the GC if they need.

So it seems that a Wii modchip will come sooner than a lot of people think. I really hate altering the hardware though, as the hardware implementation needs to be smart enough as to not be detectable by any firmware updates, otherwise Nintendo can block modified Wiis from certain services and updates.

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
But this guys is saying that the Wii anti-piracy strategy is almost identical to the GC strategy, so most of the research has been done, it just needs to be implemented. The implementation is relatively easy, since you know what you need to do and how you need to do it.

So the issue is that although we can run exact copies of signed code, we can't run our own unsigned code yet, at least not in Wii mode. I don't see how that's much of a problem since the GC engine is in the Wii, Homebrew developers can continue just developing for the GC if they need.

So it seems that a Wii modchip will come sooner than a lot of people think. I really hate altering the hardware though, as the hardware implementation needs to be smart enough as to not be detectable by any firmware updates, otherwise Nintendo can block modified Wiis from certain services and updates.

If you remember, tmbinc was also the guy who first released information on GameCube backups. He then said he didn't want to "support piracy" and stopped releasing info. So unless there is some homebrew benefit to any Wii hack, which he already said there is NOT, it is unlikely he will release anything.

crumpster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you remember, tmbinc was also the guy who first released information on GameCube backups. He then said he didn't want to "support piracy" and stopped releasing info. So unless there is some homebrew benefit to any Wii hack, which he already said there is NOT, it is unlikely he will release anything.

I don't really agree with that as he said he didn't care what people did with his code. See his original post on that (gc side of things) here:

http://www.dextrose.com/_forum/showpost.ph...04&postcount=18

Brouhaha

Trophies
Website
spaces.msn.com
XP
Country
Canada
If you remember, tmbinc was also the guy who first released information on GameCube backups. He then said he didn't want to "support piracy" and stopped releasing info. So unless there is some homebrew benefit to any Wii hack, which he already said there is NOT, it is unlikely he will release anything.

Doesn't really matter wether he's got the balls to release the info or not. The proof and minimal info there is is enough to crank that motivation needed by someone else that will put out. You need to remember that the original DVD firmware hack for the Xbox360 was never released publicly, because of similiar reasons. Yet there are at least 20 variations out in the wild as we speak...

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't really agree with that as he said he didn't care what people did with his code. See his original post on that (gc side of things) here:

http://www.dextrose.com/_forum/showpost.ph...04&postcount=18

Yeah, he took a stronger anti-piracy stance after his initial work was used in commercial mods. At least with the GameCube stuff, it also had homebrew benefits. That is why I think he will hesitate before releasing anything for the Wii, especially since he already said there is no way to expolit it for homebrew. Of course, I hope I am wrong.
wink.gif

indiraider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a quick question, this is my first time ever having to deal with a mod, since i never bothered to mod my cube, have a flashcart in my DS, soft modded my Ps2 and PSP, and did the firmware hack on the 360. Now I'm good at soldering since im taking many metal shop classes in my high school and i now how to use flux and know other aspects of wielding. I'm sure I can manage soldering. But when a potential second generation wii mod chip comes out can i change chips? How does upgrading from 1st generation to n+1 generations chips occur and what is the skill involved?

ditto_n

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a quick question, this is my first time ever having to deal with a mod, since i never bothered to mod my cube, have a flashcart in my DS, soft modded my Ps2 and PSP, and did the firmware hack on the 360. Now I'm good at soldering since im taking many metal shop classes in my high school and i now how to use flux and know other aspects of wielding. I'm sure I can manage soldering. But when a potential second generation wii mod chip comes out can i change chips? How does upgrading from 1st generation to n+1 generations chips occur and what is the skill involved?

If by chance the whatever generation other then the first is so much better then the first that you decide to upgrade, chances are you'll just need to desolder the old chip and solder in the new.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
But when a potential second generation wii mod chip comes out can i change chips? How does upgrading from 1st generation to n+1 generations chips occur and what is the skill involved?You should be able to just de-solder the old chip and be back to having a normal unmodded Wii. This is assuming no permanent changes need to be made to the Wii hardware to enable a modchip to be installed.
Given that this is the case then the upgrade simply becomes a replacement. The skill level commonly depends on the size and number of solder points when it comes to modchip installs.
ok... so in order to play wii copys, we have to have soldering skills???
and another question... how long do you think it will take before we play our wii isos on our wiis?
You wont require soldering skills personally. It shall be as with all the other consoles modchips, you will find installers who will offer their install service for a fee.
How long 'till this is a reality..? No one can say for sure at this stage, but I'm betting on March at the latest for the chips to start popping up. That is only a guess.

Wanque

Trophies
Website
www.worldofwows.com
XP
Country
The question I'm interested in isn't 'When will Wii backups become playable' - it's 'How will Nintendo react?'.
They did next to nothing when it happened with the DS, but with the Wii, is it possible they had the foresight to predict how these backdoors would be implemented (seeing as they're almost identical to those used on the GC), and built in some way to check this?
Will we see online bannings?

Probably not... but who can say?

D

Deleted User

All of this is just void. With the same kind of reasoning you can do anything in mind and yet do nothing really. I know about this kind of stuff, I'm in phd and usually every theorem is true before I try to proof them...
So wait before being all this excited...

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought the Wii's optical drive used a non-re-writable flash chip? I swear I've heard this being talked about before, that's why BIOS hacks were out of the question unless you wire in your own EEPROM/modchip...

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I thought the Wii's optical drive used a non-re-writable flash chip? I swear I've heard this being talked about before, that's why BIOS hacks were out of the question unless you wire in your own EEPROM...
Why not wire in your own EEPROM. Should be possible with not all that many soldering skills, picking up on a personalised chip wouldn't be done by Nintendo I suppose.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The first poster was wrong. You won't be modifying/flashing the drive firmware but using a modchip almost exactly the way that was done on the GC. That's why the audience laughs when tmbinc points out that the password was changed (same password as GC, only case was changed), the pcb connection points were changed (moved and he shows a pic of how accesible they are), etc. If everything is as straight forward as he says it is, and he obviously knows what he is talking about with his GC experience, I would say expect modchips to start appearing in 2 months.

Xii

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"Insert Modchip Here"
rofl2.gif

That video was great, far more hilarious than I anticipated. It looked like he went on to talk about the PS3 but I can't seem to find the rest of his presentation. Is there a full version somewhere?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30