Hacking Wii-Clip Install!

Chinman

Trophies
XP
Country
i dont even think even the new wiis have any way of detecting if you have opened it up, now if this is the only way to install a chip, would it be crazy of me to suggest that nintendo dont really care as much as ppl think whether we chip our wiis, surely a security sticker would deter some ppl not to open up their wii or at least to wait for their warranty to expire

Chinman

Trophies
XP
Country
i know that some ppl only bought a wii cos it can be chipped, and would not have bought it otherwise, hence nintendo made some money from people that they normally wouldnt have. am i going off topic? sorry
smile.gif

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
OzModChips said:
Why would Nintendo make a airflow hole for no reason
If you are referring to the black round thingy as "airflow hole", that is a just a cone to align several parts that does not go anywhere. And if it's not just blocked by a DVD in the drive, where would any noteworthy airflow go from there? The vent in the back is blocked by design.

Chinman

Trophies
XP
Country
lets not forget the success of the ps1 and ps2 for sony, and the less than successful n64 which it was much harder to pirate games. off to play sega superstar tennis, gigidy

Kiljaeden

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Aren't Wii-Clip releasing more versions of this? eg. PIC chip version? I'd assume that version would just include wires leading to a PIC socket.
If that's the case, I don't think any of the so called air flow holes would be covered.

NoAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Great work Aligborat69,
I have been wondering about this thingy myself.
Your photo's clarify a lot and I appreciate that you shared your experience with everyone.

The airflow hole is not completely covered by the clip as I can see on one of your photos.
I thought that the wiring on the clip would be flexboard too, but I can see now that it is a 'stiff' board.

Question: Is is designed to be mounted just like you did?
I mean, it is mounted at an angle. Would it fit better if the mod-chip was raised a little so that the board of the wii-clip is parallel to the Wii main board?
(Am I making sence)
Or is there no room in the system to mount it that way?

Thanks for sharing. I am more and more convinced that this is a slution for me too.

Cheers,

numlockhome

Trophies
XP
Country
i co-sign the threadstarter, it works great. we got our review clips today, and installing them was a breeze.

i also like to add that the design does NOT block the air-hole, it is a good 2-3 cm to go between the clip and the hole, and the air can easily pass through.

of course this needs more testing, and our test machine is running 24 hours to see if any problems will appear.

etrigan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zosh said:
If you are referring to the black round thingy as "airflow hole", that is a just a cone to align several parts that does not go anywhere. And if it's not just blocked by a DVD in the drive, where would any noteworthy airflow go from there? The vent in the back is blocked by design.

BINGO. This man is correct. zosh ftw.
grog.gif

Lets keep our facts straight here people...if you don't know what you are talking about then please don't scare others with false info.
lecture.gif

NoAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
numlockhome said:
i co-sign the threadstarter, it works great. we got our review clips today, and installing them was a breeze.

i also like to add that the design does NOT block the air-hole, it is a good 2-3 cm to go between the clip and the hole, and the air can easily pass through.

of course this needs more testing, and our test machine is running 24 hours to see if any problems will appear.

That is really interesting.
Please keep us all informed about the status of the test system.

PS: Do you happen to have any photographs of the installation? Particularly one with the airflow hole?
Cheers,

b0lt

Trophies
XP
Country
The hole is to equalize air pressure when the disc is spinning. Otherwise, the disc would fly to the top of the drive and shred itself.

ben_r_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think its awesome and as soon as you tell me where I can get one from and how much I will order one up right now! I can solder with the best of them and have a bunch of very expensive soldering equipment, but it this means snap on a deal and its done AWESOME!

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
b0lt said:
The hole is to equalize air pressure when the disc is spinning. Otherwise, the disc would fly to the top of the drive and shred itself.
You're confusing the Wii drive with a top-loading drive where the disc would fly up when the door is opened and the disc isn't held down anymore - simply because it has no other way to go than up. Discs are not helicopter blades, they create air pressure when spinning, but not in one, but in every direction.

Imagine what would happen if the Wii didn't have a locking mechanism that keeps discs in place. Discs would be crashing all over the place, if only for the fact that many of them are not 100% balanced.

(Looking forward to the next rumor for a hole in a plastic mold. Why didn't anyone mention "exhaust pipe" yet? Be creative!)

Kiljaeden

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zosh said:
(Looking forward to the next rumor for a hole in a plastic mold. Why didn't anyone mention "exhaust pipe" yet? Be creative!)

I was thinking exactly that. Why not even drill a hole that won't compromise the integrity of the design but allow heat to dissipate off the chip.
Next we'll be seeing Watercooling and Liquid Nitrogen due to these overheating fears. Lol.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
aligborat69 said:
Next time i test stuff out, i wont bother posting my findings here, because you only get lazy people who just take take take and give nothing but their lame comments back to the community. I was one of the first to get the clip, i assumed people would be excited to know if it works.
No need to get upset. For every smart ass that attacks your post I'm sure there is at least one positive. Some people are rude, don't let it spoil your day or prevent you from helping out the community.

Thank you for providing the pictures and information. I have no interest in getting this myself but I may find the information useful for others. The pics were nice too.
Hope it works well and please let us know if there are any problems.

Everyone seems pretty concerned about that "airflow" hole don't they? My Wii has had that hole covered since I got it, is left on wiiconnect24, has a GC memorycard and wavebird receiver inside the case as well as a bunch of wiring to the external serial port.
I've never had a problem with my Wii getting too hot or anything else. Maybe it's just the D2C Wiis that need the "Airflow"
wink.gif

Cabbage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome pics. I had never even heard of the Wii-clip (don't follow this stuff usually), but that looks awesome.

Thanks so much for sharing, and don't get discouraged because of haters. ;D

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OzModChips said:
Come back in a couple of months when your wii overheats since there is no airflow under your DVD drive.
Your awesome product blocks a hole....the hole is there for a reasonOK, a couple (2) of months then what's with:
OzModChips said:
And its not like blocking off that hole will kill your wii in a day, or 6 months. Its a long term thing. It's hard to tell if you're really trying to help or just have a go at the product/original poster. It doesn't read like help though.

QUOTE(Hooya @ Mar 15 2008, 04:17 PM)
It's not so much that the DVD drive needs the air, but it lets air pass between the drive and the other half of the Wii.
The Wii is not designed with random things. It's far too compact and too highly engineered. They take years designing the form factor for things like this. The hole is there for a reason, even if you or I don't know what that reason is.
Again there is some contradiction here, first you say the hole is for letting air "pass" ('flow', maybe
wink.gif
) between areas inside the Wii. Then you say: "The hole is there for a reason, even if you or I don't know what that reason is."
I thought you knew the reason, you wrote that you did at the start of the post
wacko.gif
. Wacko smiley to indicate confusion, not that you are wacko in any way (that I'm aware).

I agree that the hole in the PCB was by design. Why was it designed that way?.. I don't know. Does blocking that hole with a modchip cause any detrimental effects? I can't say for sure but I can say that it hasn't presented any problems in my case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Good idea