Hacking Wii-Clip Install!

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CockroachMan said:
Interesting.. but it's too expensive.. it's probably cheaper to pay someone to solder the D2CKey for you.
That is probably the most interesting point I've seen about these.
If you are able and willing to open your console and attach an unauthorised device that has already required soldering, why not go the whole way? I guess there must be people willing to do the above but without the soldering skills to do a regular install.
That means some people want to do the modding and aren't really concerned with the price, maybe?
Maybe it's for the people who can't find an installer.
I've seen these sold with the D2CKey already soldered, I guess that makes the install much easier to people with no soldering experience/equipment.

aligborat69, what was your reason for using this product rather than just paying for an install or doing the wire soldered connection?

**edit**
These bundles could be very appealing to non solderers, price isn't too bad either compared to getting the chip and paying for install.

bubbleboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shtonkalot said:
These bundles could be very appealing to non solderers, price isn't too bad either compared to getting the chip and paying for install.

Yep, this is why this thread is full of naysayers and crybabies pretending they know how the Wii internals work so they can keep charging $50 to solder a few wires. They know their time is up!
grog.gif
grog.gif
grog.gif

NoAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just noticed that the site for Wii-clip is updated.
It now contains a review of the installation of a wii-clip with D2CKey.
It's in Spanish though: (h**p://www.wii-clip.com/)

The site contains links to resellers too.
But the reseller in Holland told me last week that they had not received any stock yet.

By the way: I think aligborat69 was smart to tape the thing down instead of inserting the carboard sheet for protection. That sheet just looks silly and I think it might to more damage than good.

All in all: The discussion tends to become a holy war about the purpose of that little hole in the drive.
The question is: Is that hole covered or not?
And if it is, or partially, will it do any damage? Even if you put your WII on a cooling stand?

Cheers,

aligborat69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Forgot to include this photo, which basically shows the underside of the clip. The "teeth" are springy, but very strong, so they grip onto the D2C Chip very well, meaning its hard to come lose and maintains a secure connection.

dsc03682tb7.jpg

czjl

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Yea so if we do tape it down. Is there any suitable place to adhere the tape to, from what i see in the installation there doesn't really seem to be one? or just tape over the chip itself to prevent shorting?

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
CockroachMan said:
OzModChips said:
http://www.wii-clip.com/clip-v1_final-16.jpg
Ahhh, that cant be good!

lol.. Now that is just retarded
tongue.gif

Well, the thing is new.. we have to wait to see if it really is safe..

As I said, it will be a long term thing
The other half of the wii, the mobo is made of material that is great for heat dispersion. Air being forced down on it is good.
Its like when you put your laptop computer on your bed on a hot day
The fan goes nuts because there is no where for the heat to go. Material/stickers are not good conductors.

I have said enough - I will sound like an idiot as the product is sturdy and no one will have issues for a long while.
I will stock it out of spite, cheaper than the other other aussie supplier, and also to save me from writing 5 emails a day saying 'no we wont stock it'

By the way, here is an email from the people that make the modchip you guying are using it with

different sorts of clips have
appeared and disappeared over the years, and they have never established a
good reputation for themselves. In the worst case scenario, they short the
controller IC itself. In the best case, they work initially and then stop
working after a few days/weeks/months and need to be removed and
re-attached.

The team has researched the feasibility of making a high-precision clip,
but mass production would ring-in at about 150USD for something approaching
good quality, but it would still not be as good as a soldered solution.

tsutsutsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you believe it is such alow quality of a product, yet you still want to sell it to prevent all the emails that ask about it, wouldn't you get even more emails on the problems?

seems like you are just trying to get a quick buck for those who want an easier solution
rolleyes.gif

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CockroachMan said:
OzModChips said:

lol.. Now that is just retarded
tongue.gif

Well, the thing is new.. we have to wait to see if it really is safe..

that's not done yet. that picture is not the finished product. you remove all the excess around the chip.
and like i said this is always a safer alternative than directly soldering because this will not void your warranty. so even if your wii does break you can send it for free repair. where as you can not if you have solder/ripped pads all over the place.

MiloFoxburr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shtonkalot said:

oo, hopefully more stores start doing that I can't solder and that is €50 considering I'd have to pay someone nearly €100 to solder a chip in (That's including the chip) I'd go for the wii-clip solution

Melchizedek

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What exactly did the PS2 clips look like? Perhaps they caused problems because they were not well-designed. Also, what percentage of PS2 clips did actually break the console?

MarcoZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Perhaps everyone's ignoring this:
OzModChips said:
By the way, here is an email from the people that make the modchip you guying are using it with

QUOTE said:
different sorts of clips have
appeared and disappeared over the years, and they have never established a
good reputation for themselves. In the worst case scenario, they short the
controller IC itself. In the best case, they work initially and then stop
working after a few days/weeks/months and need to be removed and
re-attached.

The team has researched the feasibility of making a high-precision clip,
but mass production would ring-in at about 150USD for something approaching
good quality, but it would still not be as good as a soldered solution.
And if the guys that made D2CKey said that, i believe them.

tom35

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to let you all know, I did receive and install a Wii-Clip.
I wrote an official review for Nintendo-Scene and have also wrote a review at After Dawn.
I am highly impressed by the Wii-Clip.
It is built well and functions well.
The PCB is heavier then the Flex-PCB and is built so that it is raised off of the DVD Drive enough to allow airflow under it for the DVD drive. (If indeed that is what the black hole is for)
With a little shaking the Clip stayed in place on the D2C chip.
After some heavy shaking the Clip did come dislodged.
I resolved this issue by rolling up a small quantity of elctrical tape, sticky side inside and taped this to the top of the Wii-Clip.
Now the Clip is being held tight to the D2C Chip by pressing the tape against the metal shielding for the System board. (Do not use too much tape or you will bend the metal shielding against the System Board!)
I have furiously shook the Wii and the clip stayed in place.

I personally believe the negative reviews are coming from companies invested in and pushing the Flex-PCB.
I am not invested in or affiliated with any companies so give a honest review.

Of course it has only been 1 day since I have had it installed, but I believe that this is a nice alternative for the soldering challenged and to anyone who does not want to solder directly to the Wii.

If in the future I experience any issues I will post them, but for now I am very happy with the Wii-Clip and do recommend it.
I will be buying another for my D2Pro chip and any future mods I do.

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're worried about it coming loose, it looks like it sits down nice and flush with the PCB that the D2C is attached to. I would press the chip down firmly and lay a small bead of hot glue along 2 of the sides to help hold it in place. And if you ever need to remove it, hot glue is pretty easy to take off as well and won't leave any residue.

Just remember to try to avoid surface mounted items like resistors and capacitors so you don't risk pulling them up when you remove the glue. (Very unlikely, but just to be safe)

doomed_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We better accept the fact that this solution is indeed very stable and simple for most people. I know it will make alot of proffesional installers said and disappointed, but we cannot stop the development of tools, that´s it. Besides sqaure shaped ICs have been fitted into sockets for years so why wouldn't this solution work? It' all about precision of the clip and how tight it grip the pins.

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
Ah, well, I have no doubt there will be cases where the clip will get loose. It's bound to happen, even with the highest precision clips. Why? You wouldn't believe how some people treat their electronics. Short of throwing it down the stairs to make the DVD come out I've seen people abuse it with just about anything. I still don't know what one of my mates did to his Wii to make his OpenWii ATMega rattle loose from a wrapped in sponge rubber, taped down, tucked away in the back of the case precision IC socket. Yes, that's the ones that usually need flat screw drivers to pry the chips off.

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
tsutsutsu said:
if you believe it is such alow quality of a product, yet you still want to sell it to prevent all the emails that ask about it, wouldn't you get even more emails on the problems?

seems like you are just trying to get a quick buck for those who want an easier solution
rolleyes.gif

Yes you are right, very observant of you.
The emails about issues will be refered to the big fat warning on the product page about why we don't recommend the product
smile.gif

MarcoZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
zosh said:
Ah, well, I have no doubt there will be cases where the clip will get loose. It's bound to happen, even with the highest precision clips. Why? You wouldn't believe how some people treat their electronics. Short of throwing it down the stairs to make the DVD come out I've seen people abuse it with just about anything. I still don't know what one of my mates did to his Wii to make his OpenWii ATMega rattle loose from a wrapped in sponge rubber, taped down, tucked away in the back of the case precision IC socket. Yes, that's the ones that usually need flat screw drivers to pry the chips off.
Man, that's not a wii clip problem. I mean, if everyone did that to their wii any modchip would probably break. And not only the modchip. but whatever, that's their problem. I always treat my wii with absolute care.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill