Hacking Wii Bricked, but I don't see how...

Sekna

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry to bother you again with another "OH NOEZ MAI WII IZ BRICKED HALP ME GYZ!!11!11!!!" but I wanted some help and this is the most reliable place.

I recently downgraded my PAL Wii from System Menu 4.0 to 3.2 so i could install a cIOS for the Backup Loader 0.3 Gamma.
I got the backup loader working fine and the downgrade went well, no problems. I installed the WAD for the backup loader for easy use as well.

Then came the time I wanted to play a newer game (Wii Sports Resort) and it asked me to update. So unknowingly I updated my Wii's firmware to 4.0.
Although now I turn on my Wii after the update and I believe it is bricked but I don't see what I did wrong to brick it. I think maybe IOS35 may have something to do as I with it once I upgraded to 4.0 again.
I turn on the Wii with a default blue screen on my TV with no changes to the input. The Wii still eject and accepts discs and I can turn on the Wii via Wiimote but no connection happens once it is booted up.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips on what I did wrong and if there is anyway to fix up what I did without sending it off to get repaired.
I do not have BootMii installed (I know I'm an idiot but I thought it required hardware for it to work >.

KaiWren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the exact same problem, and i do mean exact, save for mines an NTSC-USA wii. It turns out that downgrading leaves a stub of some ios, (50, i think) and the update skips it thinking it's a newer version. long story short, you're hosed. I just sent mine in to ninty, which they covered under warranty. I'm not sure how it works overseas, but i've heard nasty rumors of them overcharging for brick repairs if they find homebrew. not sure if these are true or not, but it'd make me sweat bullets. I've heard tell that an autoboot disc and the savemii dongle may help, but it's merely speculation on my part.

theoperator288

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(I wouldn't say "hosed". If you can get savemii to work, he can just run a update disk.)

The Wii Sports Resort, PAL or NTSC?
Cross updating would be bad of course.

That's a starting point.

KaiWren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's IF he can get savemii to work, assuming he's trying the savemiifrii thingy. I couldn't get it to work on mine, but may be different with a pal wii. fingers crossed for ya.

Sekna

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I didn't run it through the backup loader, I bought it, PAL. I live in Australia.
I only got the backup loader so I could test it out for a friend, I would delete it later. I have a few more questions:
So there's no way I can fix it without sending it to Nintendo?
Nintendo's head office of Australia is an hour drive from me so that's lucky I guess.
Do they keep all the stuff, like VC purchases, save files and such?
How much would it cost for them to repair it?

EDIT: Ok OzModChips live like an hour from me too so I might actually get a SaveMii, what exactly is an update disc? Is it a proper Nintendo one or is it just a game with an update on it?
If I already updated and that's what bricked my Wii wouldn't updating it not do anything?

KaiWren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Talking to them over the phone is the first step, and try not to giggle when you say theres something wrong with your wii(i still can't say that with a straight face). There may be other ways to fix it, but all signs seem to point that way. is your wii still under warranty?

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the us it cost like 75 bucks to fix and i'm not sure if you keep all ure vc nd saves.The only other way would be if you had a nand backup and um well bootmii installed or an infectus chip.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sekna said:
I recently downgraded my PAL Wii from System Menu 4.0 to 3.2 so i could install a cIOS for the Backup Loader 0.3 Gamma.

But WHY did you downgrade anyway? You could have still installed a cIOS in v4.0E or even v4.1E for that matter with the use of Trucha Bug Restorer. Downgrading was just plain stupid...not to try to sound mean.

Next time, read one of the many great guides for softmodding in the forums. The time you would have spent doing a little reading would be FAR less than the time you are now going to have to invest to get your Wii back in working order (which will probably be having to send it to Nintendo)

theoperator288

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
savemii "should" work. Seeing as he has the system menu (60) installed. He definately has a low level brick.

How did you downgrade from 4.0 to 3.2?

That might be a reason. Depending on what method depends on what IOS's are left. I should do a dump of my WSR, and see what is installed as far as updates.

*goes to grab HDD and install WSR*

theoperator288

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:
Heres the info about the stub ios brick

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=164...=stub+ios+brick

I just looked at a pal version of wii sports resort with wii scrubber to see whats in the update partiton and its only got

ios9-64-v516.wad
boot2-64-v2.wad
So it only installs 4.1E system menu.... wow.... yeah, that's why your are having problems....

EDIT:
wait...those can't be it. In order to install the 4.1E update it would need the 64-v450.wad

Sekna

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zektor said:
Sekna said:

But WHY did you downgrade anyway? You could have still installed a cIOS in v4.0E or even v4.1E for that matter with the use of Trucha Bug Restorer. Downgrading was just plain stupid...not to try to sound mean.

Next time, read one of the many great guides for softmodding in the forums. The time you would have spent doing a little reading would be FAR less than the time you are now going to have to invest to get your Wii back in working order (which will probably be having to send it to Nintendo)

I read a few guides and the one with the Backup Loader said that I had to downgrade to 3.2 to install the cIOS for it to work. I know I'm an idiot, I'm not installing anything after, except homebrew to my SD card.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sekna said:
zektor said:
Sekna said:

I read a few guides and the one with the Backup Loader said that I had to downgrade to 3.2 to install the cIOS for it to work. I know I'm an idiot, I'm not installing anything after, except homebrew to my SD card.

Don't beat yourself up over it. You learned the hard way unfortunately. Like I said, just look at a good guide like the "Ultimate v4.0 Guide" here in the forums. Downgrading is just not necessary anymore (it actually bricks newer Wii consoles right off the bat), and there are just too many poor guides floating around.

Sekna

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah I knew the thing about new Wii consoles.
I guess I'll try a SaveMii.
So once I get the SaveMii which disc do i use to install firmware?
Some newer games I have are Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. which may have updates, I also just recently bought The House of the Dead Overkill and haven't played it yet.

Posts merged

Yeah I knew the thing about new Wii consoles.
I guess I'll try a SaveMii.
So once I get the SaveMii which disc do i use to install firmware?
Some newer games I have are Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. which may have updates, I also just recently bought The House of the Dead Overkill and haven't played it yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-