Hacking Wii Brick, need some out of the box thinking

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Well because, it's totally evident that he bricked because of stub IOS 50 left in the system... why else would punch out brick a 3.2 user's wii do you think?

why cBoot2 works because it switches to a sane IOS before loading dol... that is possibly IOS 36...
system menu freezes because IOS 36 doesn't support all the functions of the system menu...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If the game was PAL, he has a PAL system menu now. And this totally explains the graphical glitches.

Hmm, Xangalore, install in this order IOS36v1042, IOS30v1040 and THEN system menu 3.2(correct region!). That should get you back to 3.2.

Xangalore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it's worth, I'm fairly certain that Punchout was NTSC. I rented it from a local blockbuster here in Seattle, and it even says on the disc that it's for use with North American consoles. So unless there's been some documented instances of North American copies of punchout having PAL updates on it, it seems unlikely that it would be a region issue. So I feel reasonably confident that it's not b/c Punchout was from the wrong region.

I'm still sort of confused as to why cBoot2 allows me to get to the system menu. Is it actually functioning or doing what it's supposed to do? Or is it just an accident that having cBoot2 on my SD card somehow allows the system menu to load? At any rate, I wonder if the way cBoot2 causes my system to behave is diagnostically relevant. Regardless, I can at least get into Homebrew channel from the system menu now, so I should be able to run wad manager from there. But I'm hearing some different ideas from folks about what I should be trying to install at this point. If we assume that punchout did not do a PAL update, does that change how I should proceed? Is there anything I need to be careful of right now?

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xangalore, your friend posted in another topic that the Punchout!! Dis was a PAL version. Anyways, just follow what WiiCrazy and Wiipower are saying.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
As I previously said, here is a piece of comment from main.c/startupmodule of cboot2...

/* Try to find an installed IOS version (start with IOS36). */

it does load IOS 36, patch it.. then boots it...

Ask wiigator if my findings don't convince you...

Believe me, from this moment on, I'll never answer a noob's question, or write something that warns people... it's just not worth it...

Xangalore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lordpoketehpenguin said:
Xangalore, your friend posted in another topic that the Punchout!! Dis was a PAL version. Anyways, just follow what WiiCrazy and Wiipower are saying.

How would it be a PAL version? Is this a widespread issue with North American punchout discs?

Xangalore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the help, I'll go ahead and follow WiiPower's instructions.

I'll grab IOS36v1042 and IOS30v1040 from NUSD and install them in sequence. Then I'll try to install system menu 3.2 (US version).

Thanks

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jjc1992 said:
DAMN n00bs flooding our forums with bricks but i see you've already beaten yourself up for me
tongue.gif
(sorry)
bootmii contains a .elf boot function (put a .elf such as the hack me installer on the root of your sd card and go into bootmii then go to the sd card icon and scroll down and click it, reinstall the homebrew channel and if you can then use the homebrew channel, use waninkokos updater or anyregion changer to update your wiis firmware to whatever
smile.gif
Several things wrong with this post.

1. No such thing as "hack me installer" (I believe you mean "HackMii Installer"?)

2. The ELF boot function? Try that yourself and tell me if it works (it won't). It's not a bug or anything in it, it's that it's the wrong kind of ELF. Apps like the GC-Linux team's MIKE, comex's formatter, and Team Twiizer's celing cat (the installed ppcboot.elf) will work, but not much else. That's because it can't use IOS.

armageddan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xangalore said:
So here's the situation. (There's a lot of stupidity in here, and I've already beat myself up over it.)

I have a US NTSC Wii bought in December 2006.

This week I used waninkoko's program to downgrade my IOS so that I could get wad manager to work. Everything was working fine, but then I tried to play punchout and it wanted me to do an update. I stupidly said yes b/c I didn't have the internet connection active and I figured that if it couldn't find the internet it would just skip the update (stupid move). So anyway, it updated anyway, from the disc I suppose, and now my Wii is fully bricked. No video, no sound.
I can get into bootmii, but unfortunately I never made a NAND backup (I wasn't aware of this option until after the fact).

So I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to recover my system's functionality given that I can get into bootmii. I tried going to the homebrew channel through bootmii but it won't load.

Is it possible for me to launch some kind of program from the SD card using bootmii that will let me do any kind of software changes/repairs?

Note: The Wii is not modded or anything, it only had changes to the software.

To reiterate, I guess one of the big questions I have is this:
Given that I can't open the homebrew channel from bootmii (when I try it just gives me a corrupted screen), is there any other way I can launch an application using bootmii, such as from the SD card? And if I can launch an app in this way, is there anything I can do to save my system.

If not, then I'm probably screwed and I'll have to send to Nintendo? But if there is still a way for me to run some software that could allow me to try reinstalling the IOS or something, then maybe there's something that can be done. But I just don't know.

I'm willing to try anything short of opening up the system. I don't want to mess with the actual hardware because then Nintendo might not actually fix the system for me.

you might have to send it to nintendo, i had around the same problem, but mine could go to homebrew via bootmii. if it's still under warranty you shouldn't have any problem getting them to fix it or if it's not you'll have to pay 85$. oh, i almost forgot, do you have cbootmii2? if you have those files it'll boot into wad manager and you can see if your wii remotes will connect and if not i guess your screwed lol.

Xangalore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Armageddan,
Actually cBoot2 is allowing me to get to the system menu. Now the issue is to fix is the fact that I can't get back to the system menu after I launch any of the channels, which forces me to reboot the system every time I want to change channels essentially.
I think with the info/suggestions provided by WiiPower and WiiCrazy I should be able to get this corrected.

Xangalore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question, I've got the following wad files now for IOS30, IOS36, IOS50 and system menu 3.2:
000000010000001E-NUS-v1040.wad
0000000100000002-NUS-v289.wad
0000000100000024-NUS-v1042.wad
0000000100000032-NUS-v4889.wad

When I go into wad manager, it asks me to "select IOS version to use". What am I supposed to pick? If I'm installing IOS36, for example, do I select IOS36 here, or should I leave it at IOS249? (Yes, this question again reveals my ignorance, but please bear with me.)

Xangalore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nIxx said:
You select the IOS which install the files so IOS249 should work fine (or any other IOS with truch bug)
Thanks. Also, out of curiosity does it matter what the wad files are named? Or can I leave them with the names they got when I acquired them from NUSD?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...