Gaming Wii: Black screen after starting any game (wiiflow, usbloader etc)

sn1pergr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello all,

I know that this is an issue with many many threads (I think I have covered them all), but I am still experiencing issues.
I have a soft-modded wii (around 7-8 years ago), which I haven't used for a while. I decided to play again, in order to start initiating my LO to the world of video games, but unfortunately I have this dreaded black screen issue.

My previous setup: WiiFlow + games on USB stick.
After going through a few articles, I have decided to use modmii, in order to smoothly update all the components (SD card) and of course the cios versions. After that, again no luck with no game.
I have read that the USB stick may be the culprit, so I have created an extra partition on an external HDD, formatted it as FAT32, and migrated three of my games there, just for a check. Last night, two out of those three games started successfully. I thought that was the solution but today, I have re-formatted the disk, in order to have a larger partition (and also to be the first partition on this disk). After that, I have migrated a few games (along with the ones that worked last night), and... black screen after starting the game. :)

To be more detailed, nothing is responsive, and I have to close the console from the button.

I am attaching the syscheck file.
If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Chris

Attachments

• sysCheck.rar
    793 bytes · Views: 46
  • 2022-11-06 12_10_03-Wii Backup Manager.png
    2022-11-06 12_10_03-Wii Backup Manager.png
    68 KB · Views: 56

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know that this is an issue with many many threads (I think I have covered them all), but I am still experiencing issues
For sure you didnt experienced the one very nice thread pinned in the top of Wii Section. Its mainly for troubleshooting problems with USB Loader GX, but as USB Loader`s basically work the same way it can also be used for Wii Flow Lite to determibe the Problem and find a solution.

sn1pergr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thanks Sypherone,

I have already checked this, but no luck. I am going to check with a separate SD card, and a different HDD.
One question though: Is there any way to write any logs/events in order to further debug the issue? For example, there is a black screen and console reset is needed, but if logs were written in a persistent location (SD for example), there might be an indication of what goes wrong.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I know that this is an issue with many many threads (I think I have covered them all), but I am still experiencing issues.
I have a soft-modded wii (around 7-8 years ago), which I haven't used for a while. I decided to play again, in order to start initiating my LO to the world of video games, but unfortunately I have this dreaded black screen issue.

My previous setup: WiiFlow + games on USB stick.
After going through a few articles, I have decided to use modmii, in order to smoothly update all the components (SD card) and of course the cios versions. After that, again no luck with no game.
I have read that the USB stick may be the culprit, so I have created an extra partition on an external HDD, formatted it as FAT32, and migrated three of my games there, just for a check. Last night, two out of those three games started successfully. I thought that was the solution but today, I have re-formatted the disk, in order to have a larger partition (and also to be the first partition on this disk). After that, I have migrated a few games (along with the ones that worked last night), and... black screen after starting the game. :)

To be more detailed, nothing is responsive, and I have to close the console from the button.

I am attaching the syscheck file.
If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Chris
From the syscheck you are missing Priiloader. Once you install make to enable "region free everything" and some other settings..

Also, you need to verify the hash of those games in WiiBackupManager, it's under tools in the top banner.
Make sure the hdd is formatted as Fat32 32kb cluster size and has a primary partition & is set to MBR. It's pretty important.
Also make sure it's plugged into port 0, and whatever hdd enclosure you're using is providing enough power to the hdd.
Next is the game loader, update Wiiflow Lite to the latest version if you haven't already, the latest one is v5.5.3 i think.
For pal games you'd encounter no issues if all is well, for ntsc games you might get black screens if you're using composite. Forcing the video mode to pal won't help and you'd need to get either a scart/component or one of those Chinese Wii2hdmi adaptors in order for them to work/show up properly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1