Hacking Wii backups over NAS?

D

Deleted User

Network ports in most low power devices are pretty handicapped. I remember my old WD TV Live Hub with it's 1GBPS port on the box. Transfer rate was 12.5MB/s to the box - wee 100mbps connections, turns out the CPU just can't dedicate the resources to allow that sort of bandwidth. Returned it slightly later.

I belive SNES9x and NES ones support it.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. In terms of network, I have an excellent home network and the drive is USB 3.0

NAS is attached to the network, not USB. Some can be attached to PC via USB, but there's no benefit to that as data transfers will max out and it's still nothing more than an external HDD at that point. To match the data rate, you would need a 1GB network and a NAS to match the read speed which most consumer can't even get over 50MB/s read speed, unless you invest at least $500 to get over 120MB's read speed.

I'm not sure about "emulators over a network", but I do know ZSNES can read network drives from my PC mapped to my NAS, but again those aren't any bigger than a few MB's, so running them is not an issue at all.

Kleiner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose I should clarify then. I'm using a USB 3.0 drive shared via my router's "ReadySHARE" function, not a true NAS. But so far I ave been able to access it both as a UPnP device (as it streams itself as a media server) and by mapping the drive as a network drive. Good to know about ZNES, thank you.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose I should clarify then. I'm using a USB 3.0 drive shared via my router's "ReadySHARE" function, not a true NAS. But so far I ave been able to access it both as a UPnP device (as it streams itself as a media server) and by mapping the drive as a network drive. Good to know about ZNES, thank you.

Ah, that does make sense then. Forgot a lot of routers have that now - mine included! But I've never had a need to use it.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NAS is attached to the network, not USB. Some can be attached to PC via USB, but there's no benefit to that as data transfers will max out and it's still nothing more than an external HDD at that point. To match the data rate, you would need a 1GB network and a NAS to match the read speed which most consumer can't even get over 50MB/s read speed, unless you invest at least $500 to get over 120MB's read speed.

I'm not sure about "emulators over a network", but I do know ZSNES can read network drives from my PC mapped to my NAS, but again those aren't any bigger than a few MB's, so running them is not an issue at all.

making a NAS from a Pentium 4 pc and 1 gbit nics can handle that speed. now add a dual core and its even better.

One of the Turbo graphics 16 (Pc Engine) emulators has network support. It streams the iso over the network. I use it to play tg 16 games like Super Raiden and Gradius. there is a small hiccup when it loads but its only noticeable in audio streams.
I also used to stream Gamecube isos over the network using the old Phantasy Star Online Hack that was created when the gamecube was first hacked. The gamecube network adaptor is only 10mbit and it worked decent. Anyone remember that iso load method for gamecube? it was fun shit.

Last edited by Captain_N,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Geckos are the cutest.