NAND backup of hacked Wii U?

Pr3tty F1y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I misplaced my original non-hacked Wii U NAND backup (so, at that point, it was a non-Hacked Wii U/non-hacked vWii).

Now that both are hacked (and have been for years at this point), is a NAND backup still worth it? Would I be able to restore my system if it was bricked with a backup of a system that was already hacked?

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks much!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Where is the problem? Current state is everything is working. Creating a new image of this status is fine.
After a (sadly hardware based only up to know) restore you would be at the same point as now (which is a good point).

→ Definitely worth writing a new image – hacked or not.

Good luck and have fun!

Pr3tty F1y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where is the problem? Current state is everything is working. Creating a new image of this status is fine.
After a (sadly hardware based only up to know) restore you would be at the same point as now (which is a good point).

→ Definitely worth writing a new image – hacked or not.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for confirming. I just wasn't sure if it was past the point of no return once the system was hacked. Good to know that I can still restore from a hacked system backup - and now that I have that backup made, I'll need to be sure to keep it safe 🙃

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for confirming. I just wasn't sure if it was past the point of no return once the system was hacked. Good to know that I can still restore from a hacked system backup - and now that I have that backup made, I'll need to be sure to keep it safe 🙃
It’s personal preference but i prefer to have both a clean. NAND backup, and one after I install all my homebrew apps and whatnot

That way I have two options in case things go wrong in the future. Either full nuke mode, or back to at least a state with some games and stuff so I don’t have to waste time reinstalling

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you use cbhc, there's a fixer with nand tools that will remove it from a flash image. as for tiramisu or aroma, I'm not sure if you can remove them. you could get use jnus tool to reinstall the health and safety title, but I'm not sure if that would work or not. plus, if there's a catastrophic system failure from software, it would be an all or nothing sort of thing when you reflashed the image afaik. cbhc relies on the slc, which is the core os. other things like the system menu and titles are on the mlc. it can take around 3 hours to backup the nand, if backing up the mlc on a 32GB system, but it's worth it. a lot of people don't take many, if any, precautions with hacked systems, and often times, they learn to regret it when something horrible happens.

Odd_Frank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I misplaced my original non-hacked Wii U NAND backup (so, at that point, it was a non-Hacked Wii U/non-hacked vWii).

Now that both are hacked (and have been for years at this point), is a NAND backup still worth it? Would I be able to restore my system if it was bricked with a backup of a system that was already hacked?

Sorry if I sound like a noob but how did you backup your nand? I have a modded system as well and just wanted to keep the backup safe on my pc.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry Im a bit of a noob on this but how did you backup your nand? I have a modded wii u as well.

Pr3tty F1y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I sound like a noob but how did you backup your nand? I have a modded system as well and just wanted to keep the backup safe on my pc.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry Im a bit of a noob on this but how did you backup your nand? I have a modded wii u as well.

I ran the attached NAND Dumper elf file from Haxchi.

I'm not sure if I needed the sig patch or not, but I:
  1. Booted my Wii U
  2. Launched Haxchi holding the B button on the gamepad to apply the sig patch
  3. That booted me back to the Wii U menu again and I launched Haxchi again
  4. And then I ran the NAND Dumper elf file that I attached (it should extract under the \wiiu\apps\ folder on your SD card)
By default, it does not back up your MLC (i.e., the big storage area of your 8gb/32gb Wii U), so you'll have to move that selection to yes.

I have a 32gb Wii U so it needs a 64gb (at least) SD Card. I'm not sure about compatibility over 64GB, so I've just stuck with 64gb and it works with both the Wii U and vWii. This is the SD Card I used. It's a SanDisk 64gb SDXC 200mb/s card (sorry for it not being a link, the message board kept trying to embed it as a media file): amazon.com/gp/product/B09X7C7NCZ

That card came formatted as 'exFAT' which I don't believe is compatible with the Wii U. The Wii U would want a FAT32 file system, so I used GUIFormat to format the card as FAT32 with an allocation unit size of 65536: https://fat32format-gui.en.lo4d.com/windows

I just copied everything over from my old SD Card to the new card and ran the NAND Dumper so I now have a separate SD Card just for a backup (as well as another copy I made on an external HDD on my PC I use for backups).

Attachments

• nanddumper.zip
    38.7 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Odd_Frank

evansicaria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have a question. I am afraid about my Wii u getting bricked but I didn't make an mlc backup because that file is huge. Do I need it? What is that mlc file anyway?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mlc is most of the interal memory. It contains a part of the operating system and all your games and saves. At the moment there is no way to recreate the mlc, if it ever becomes corrupt, so I highly recommend backing it up together with the SLC.
A backup of the MLC is not much worth without a backup of the slc, which was done at the same time and vice versa. The SLC contains a cache of the MLC, so if you restore one, you also need to restore the other or else the file system becomes inconsistent.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mlc is most of the interal memory. It contains a part of the operating system and all your games and saves. At the moment there is no way to recreate the mlc, if it ever becomes corrupt, so I highly recommend backing it up together with the SLC.
A backup of the MLC is not much worth without a backup of the slc, which was done at the same time and vice versa. The SLC contains a cache of the MLC, so if you restore one, you also need to restore the other or else the file system becomes inconsistent.
is there a reason for your name, because it's the same name as the app that extracts rednand from an sd card?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I created that account to report on how I fixed my Wii U by replacing the eMMC with and SD card. So at that time I spend many hours going through the SDIO spec and looking at SDIO commands in the logic analyzer. So I just picked the first thing that came to my mind (which was full of SDIO stuff).

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water