Hacking Wii backup loader......looks real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hm, I'm not too sure what to think. On one side I'd like this project as my modchip is kind of obsolete at the moment and I should prolly get a new one and this would be kind of an easy fix, on the other I think that a full-working app of such kind would greatly hurt the Wii homebrew scene, pushing Nintendo to focus more on fixing the exploits allowing for homebrew to run and whatnot.

Of course it prolly won't get finished anyway as it's cancelled and I kind of doubt the dev or someone else is going to finish it later, maybe sometime but in quite a while at least.

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
naes said:
Ah, forget it. I'll post it. I don't want to be flooded.

I haven't tested it, but here's the link.

http://rapidshare.com/files/146449970/wii_loader.rar.html

And he got that from 4chan.

All of this shit started on 4chan. Some one claiming to be a beta tester

After wards the rapidshare link you see in naes' post was posted, and a few people started to test it.
They found via MD5 sums the the files were most likely legit, and everyone went crazy.

Someone on /v/ then came over here and started talking about how it was leaked, and then we get to naes post.
The rest you can already see in this thread.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
this was posted on tehskeen first, so Tehskeen is GUILTY ahahaha

who talked about zant btw, he has nothing to deal with this

next step of the drama: witchhunt ! find the real guilty and burn him on public place
evil.gif

but seriously, we ALL get owned by Waninkoko himself without noticing it... so funny

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Opium said:
I really couldn't care less about Waninkoko's pirated games loader, whether it was released, never released, or stopped in production.

Neither do I, to be honest, but I still have to say that the way many of the people in this thread are acting is...well, can't find a polite way to say it, so perhaps I shouldn't.
tongue.gif

QUOTE(Jacobeian @ Sep 19 2008, 10:58 AM) this was posted on tehskeen first, so Tehskeen is GUILTY ahahaha

What are you talking about? I go there as well, there have not been any links to this leaked loader posted there.

Poltergeist.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Okay, I have created an account on GBAtemp just so I could respond to this "discussion".

Personally, if you check the page of this thread where naes leaked the loader you can see that moderators were monitoring the situation. Now, what I can't understand is the fact that the mods didn't do anything. They could have and should have removed the link from the post, but instead they saw it as excellent front page news material. Wow, nice one, moderators!

I don't think anyone should be blamed for Waninkoko not continuing the project because pin-pointing the "criminal" who leaked the build is hard and unnecessary. Naes did it on GBAtemp, somebody else probably did it on some other forum (or would have done it in the case that Naes was the originator). Waninkoko isn't the enemy here even though he deserves a part of the blame. Software testing should never be done with people you don't know, only with trusted individuals like friends and family. I hope you (Waninkoko) as well as other developers thinking about starting beta have learned the lesson.

I'm not stepping on Waninkoko's side, but I support his decision. My initial reaction would be the same and I believe yours would be too cause - hey - you just got stabbed in the back by someone you trust. You could have gotten the homebrew application of the decade but no, you had to behave like a five-year old kid who wants to find his Christmas presents. Believe me, I've done the same thing. I broke half of my father's old records just to get a present I'd get rid of in a month.

Waninkoko - if you are reading this, know that not all of the Wii homebrew scene followers and developers did you wrong. People warned moderators, they pleaded them to get rid of the links but, alas, they did not. I have to admit, I did download the leak, but after you announced that you won't continue with the project. By abandoning the project you aren't doing anything evil, you're just being a jerk. Running back-ups on a softmodded Wii isn't something only you can do, it is an inevitable event in Wii's homebrew history. You didn't take something away from us, you just postponed it. I don't know if you care, but you could have been the first person to make it possible to run backups on a 7th-gen softmodded console.

I understand your decision, but I don't think your self-centered nature understands our actions.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Opium said:
My own personal opinion and not that of GBAtemp's is:

The only real purpose of Waninkoko's Backup Loader is (let's face it), to run pirated games. Now Waninkoko is shocked and upset when his own program for running stolen games gets stolen. Holy hell, talk about mind-boggle. The ethics involved here make my mind spin.

There is no honor among thieves!

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Whats the point, too many ass hats about.

Waninkoko, tell em all to stick it, I know I would.

Mods should close all backup loader threads to stop all this. It's stomach churning to read.

Icecoolwas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Man im pee'd off now.. Anyway lets just enjoy what we've got, I mean were all mad, and waninkoko said enjoy the beta, so why dont we just enjoy it we cant cry all day its not going to help..

so anyone got it to work yet?

soliunasm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, ever since wanin said he'd stop continuing on it, everyone has turned from "That generic person wanting to pirate" to "The child who bitches because he can't get what he wants and will bitch till he does."

I mean, it's his fault that he trusted the community, but you have to live with it :/

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
WHAT!
IT WAS LEAKED!
WOAH!
THAT WAS SO UNEXPECTED!
Waninkoko, I just went to your website.
PLEASE DONT ABANDON!
I'M SCARED TO USE THIS ONE!
I've been in depression this whole week, because of the fact it isnt out.
Please, I beg you!
You're one of the only people who can do it, please!
(Hope you're not offended, but by giving the beta to all (or almost all) who asked for it, you kinda did bring this upon yourself, PLEASE DONT TAKE IT OFFENSIVELY, just stating my opinion)

Zanonymous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, this leak doesn't surprise me at all..earlier in this thread people were JUST talking about how cool a leak would be because it wouldn't hurt the end product and would still be slightly usable..God..and then this project kinda trips. I'm still waiting though.

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
This all seems like an elaborate plan on the part of Waninkoko to garner a lot of attention in my opinion. This kind or thing was to be expected.

You'd have to be a complete moron to distribute this kind of thing so easily as a 'beta-test' to untrust worthy people, and similar 'mistakes' have been made in the past by the same person to release buggy code for the attention. There are nearly 500 people viewing this topic, which speaks for itself.

Waninkoko, I don't believe YOU.

Zanonymous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, this leak doesn't surprise me at all..earlier in this thread people were JUST talking about how cool a leak would be because it wouldn't hurt the end product and would still be slightly usable..God..and then this project kinda trips.

DaveMode

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks gbatemp and the whole cast of characters here for making this a fun and interesting read. It has all the elements of a good story. Solid plot, anticipation, surprises, back stabbing... this thread's got it all.

I mean who could have predicted that this would have been leaked by one of the... I don't know like 50 beta testers out there? The fact that this surprised anyone at all is what's truly surprising.

RubMaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Greetings ppl...

I think that this leak , at some point was good...

so that the real beta testers can try it and put it fully operational...

At this point they can help waninkoko to put the backup loader to work...

BUT ... there are some guys that don't think and without knowing what they're doing, begin to try by themselves and then crash their wii's...

...... so.... let the real testers do their work and wait for the full loader...

while waiting ... buy a modchip and play XD

Greetings to all

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
WHAT!
IT WAS LEAKED!
WOAH!
THAT WAS SO UNEXPECTED!
Waninkoko, I just went to your website.
PLEASE DONT ABANDON!
I'M SCARED TO USE THIS ONE!
I've been in depression this whole week, because of the fact it isnt out.
Please, I beg you!
You're one of the only people who can do it, please!
(Hope you're not offended, but by giving the beta to all (or almost all) who asked for it, you kinda did bring this upon yourself, PLEASE DONT TAKE IT OFFENSIVELY, just stating my opinion)

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
DaveMode said:
Thanks gbatemp and the whole cast of characters here for making this a fun and interesting read. It has all the elements of a good story. Solid plot, anticipation, surprises, back stabbing... this thread's got it all.

I mean who could have predicted that this would have been leaked by one of the... I don't know like 50 beta testers out there? The fact that this surprised anyone at all is what's truly surprising.

I agree
but now the questions are:
if waninkoko is not naive and not stupid (and i'm sure he isn't), why did he almost leak his work himself in the first place ?
and why does he act now like he is pissed ?

littlestevie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
waninkoko said:
killplaystation said:
QUOTE said:
Backup-Loader is now an abandoned project. Congratulations, enjoy that version that has lots of bugs (yes, lots of bugs are not fixed).
Someone else will fix the bugs....
And anyone that wants bug-free backup loading now, can get a chip, or cry...

Without source code? Ha, I want to see that.

Yeah thats what nintendo thought about the IOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse