Homebrew Wii - Accessing Network Sockets from Assembly?

HackingNewbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking into making a sort of tcpgecko for wii because usb gecko is discontinued. The best way I can think of doing this is an assembly program that's loaded into 0x80001800 and then VI is hooked to this - this is how USB Gecko worked. Now, is it viable to access the networking sockets in assembly to communicate with a computer like tcpgecko for the wii u? Is there any good documentation for the hardware (hollywood) registers used by the networking sockets?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
VI or netcat? Most people hacking ROMS or making homebrew that wants to be firing random bits of data (big chunk or small) around that don't want to go to the effort of full FTP, telnet or even some kind of big boy shell tend to find the likes of netcat a better play, both in general and allowing people to use it (nice windows ports of netcat exist where vi is a bigger ask).
Also do you really want to mess with hardware for this? I would have thought messing around at IOS level would be the better plan for this one, or is this to write the part of the CIOS for that?

On USB gecko didn't some plans and at least binaries for the PIC, CPLD or whatever was used get released at one point? Granted plenty will welcome some kind of network option.

HackingNewbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought a network option would be better than making new USB Geckos (yes they released schematics and VHDL code and everything needed to make one) because that way it's free and can't be broken like a tiny physical device. I don't know much about IOS and CIOS at all so messing around at IOS level isn't an option for me. By VI I meant hooking the VI video system of the Wii (it's a function called very frequently so the blr at the end of the function is replaced by an instruction that would branch to my assembly program which does its TCP thing then does a blr). Eh, I might just do an incredibly dummed down usb gecko with just a USB to SPI bridge (gamecube EXI is basically SPI with a few more pins that don't really matter) because I can't find any good networking documentation

Last edited by HackingNewbie,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol