Hardware Why you should get a PSP now.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Had my PSP for years. The system has some great games, like Monster Hunter. Easy to hack, so I have my GBA emulator with over 100 games which takes up next to no space compared to most full game ISOs. Good bit of kit. Not entirely sure why it lost the console war as badly as it did. It's a good system, I'd have thought it would've been a closer run thing. Instead the DS just totally pulverised it. What the hell happened? Not saying its a bad thing, my trusty 3DS never leaves my side these days. But even so...

Reactions: 1 person

Shiro09

AAI2 Localisation Team
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, I bought my PSP early this year and hacked it in literally minutes. It also plays games wonderfully and is relatively cheap.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
When i got my psp we were still stuck on 5.00/5.50 cfw :P
I miss the old days of irshell, prometheus addons, pandora, hellcat's flasher and HEN, they were hard and annoying but that's just nostalgia.
everything's simpler now.

loco365

Trophies
XP
That's what you could describe as an opinion. In thise case it differs from mine.

Science has proven that Crisis Core is, in fact, a bad game.

Kingdom Hearts is just kinda crap for anyone who doesn't like them. Although I find little reason to actually like them.
Thank you for providing one reason for me not to get Crisis Core.

I have a PSP that's on 6.20 Prome 9, iirc and it's perfect for what I need, minus the fact my SNES emulators crash on exit.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Memory Sticks are cheaper now, you can get an 8GB for $25 (versus the $60 I paid for mine).

I remember back when the PSP was first released, a 1GB stick cost £100 in the UK. (~$155 now, dunno what the exchange was like back then, although I think it would have been closer to $200; memory sticks were probably cheaper in the US though)

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you have a ps3 you can play some ad-hoc games online with ps3... also it's got a cool bunch of games and stuff.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That is exactly my thinking. I was debating on getting 3DS XL or PSP (right now I have DSi XL). I decided on PSP because it is cheaper both game and system wise, plus it is fully hacked now.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I miss the old days of irshell, prometheus addons, pandora, hellcat's flasher and HEN, they were hard and annoying but that's just nostalgia.

That isn't the old days.....the old days were Devhook, downgrading to 1.00 and patching keys, plus unrecoverable bricks because there was no such thing as the Jigkick.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking about getting another one for a few weeks now. Don't even remember why I sold off my Darth Vader 2000...

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

That isn't the old days.....the old days were Devhook, downgrading to 1.00 and patching keys, plus unrecoverable bricks because there was no such thing as the Jigkick.
My old days i guess.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I pretty much need to get a new PSP entirely for if and when the Valkyria Chronicles 3 translation is finished (which seems to be progressing nicely).
Mine has dead pixels, the case is chipped and a whole bunch of other things. I dropped it...several times too many. It's in pretty rough shape haha.

A year ago I got a used PSP2k for $70...can't imagine how cheap the darn things are now.

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good thing I just got an in perfect shape 1000 for 10 bucks without a battery.

Just gotta throw in a bit of money for a battery and 8 gigger and I'll be good to go forever. DKC1/2/3 on the go? Yes, please. Sorry DS. You have good games, but video, music, and Emulation are kind of lacking. So I'll move those problems onto the PSP. Though I still think the DS is better for Comics and Manga. Thanks to Comicbook DS anyway.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I have 2 psps, a go and a 2000 model, i am thinking of selling the 2000 model and get a 3000 model with better screen and battery, the battery is nearly dead on my 2000 it can't hold a charge, i saw a lavender 3000 model in cex for £80 idk if i should get it.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Memory Sticks are cheaper now, you can get an 8GB for $25 (versus the $60 I paid for mine).

I remember back when the PSP was first released, a 1GB stick cost £100 in the UK. (~$155 now, dunno what the exchange was like back then, although I think it would have been closer to $200; memory sticks were probably cheaper in the US though)

Yeah the memory stick prices are a little bit crazy, even 8GB's for 25$ is waayyy cheaper than they used to be, I can still get a lot more MicroSD for the same price. 32GB's and still keep a bit of money in my pocket.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007962%20600006209%20600006235&IsNodeId=1&name=32GB

But I think they make MicroSD to Duo adapters so that is probably the way I would go if I was getting a PSP. Actually thinking about it, since the PSP has a decent library of games that I have not played and its cheaper these days.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Most upscaled games just look wrong on the PSP, i just can't get used to it. Either text it too small or blurry, and excuse me if I like to be able to see the pixels in old scool 2D games.
There's generally the option to disable the smoothing in emulators on the PSP (and/or just the scaling in general), and even when scaling you can often choose multiple different scaling options, such as a raw-2X, a "fit" option, ones that don't conform to the original aspect ratio, etc.

246syz7.jpg
r0ox05.jpg

ndsr40.jpg
v3du9w.jpg

Personally I prefer scaling with smoothing (bottom-left), as it's upscaling with a filter (unlike the line cropping downscaling stuff).

There should be no comparisons to the DS, everyone should have both.
For emulation the PSP whips the DS's ass.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)