Hardware Why you should get a PSP now.

D

Deleted_171835

I heard people bitching and moaning so much about the DSi XL screen stretching their image. I think some people felt the same concern when the 3DS XL was announced.
The DSi XL and 3DS XL don't stretch the image, it's the same resolution and looks pretty much the same as a DSi/3DS. :rolleyes:

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
Got my PSP a lil under half a year ago and i'm digging it immensely. I really like the fps ports (Duke, ROTT, Quake, Doom, Hexen, etc.), homebrew (especially Lamecraft and its actively developed mods), and being able to play PS1 games all portable styley.
and coming from using DS (and Wii) for so long, its been refreshing to dive into a new hack realm with a whole new slew of stuff to try out (wish i could get aquaria running).

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive had my PSP2000 now for about a month, first time ive owned one since when they first came out and to be honest, its the best handheld ive ever owned bar none!

Went straight up to 6.60 Pro C firmware which was a doddle (Permanent Hack) Then went out and bought 2 32GB Micro SD cards and one of them Dual adapters. So I have 64GB rockin in my PSP and its totally full of about 90ish PSP games.

Ive now started to dabble in the PSX and emulation side of things as well so now gone and just bought another 64GB with another Photofast card to fill with all the PSX classics I remember from years ago. Chop and change the cards and store the other one in the redundant UMD slot. Add to that a bucketload of music, films, internet radio, CXMB Themes to make the interface that much better and it just does everything! So far ive not come across anything that doesnt run. All PSP games play flawlessly and everything I've gotten so far for the PSX run absolutely spot on (even tho old troublesome ones like the FFs and the Chrono Cross etc. Amazing

And to think I bought mine second hand off a chap for £40. The price of a normal night out on the ale. Brilliant

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I love my PSP Go (and yes, KH:BBS works perfectly).

I agree with you %100.

I really like my PSP Go. It hasn't gotten much use though. There aren't any games I'm in a rush to play...I've pretty much played everything I'm interested in, aside from MGS Peace Walker, which I put on my Vita.

junn

Trophies
Website
flic.kr
XP
Country
United States
i used to have psp phat 1000.came with free spiderman2 umd movie, sampler disc, and 32mb msduo
memory card.loved the day when someone figured out how to play iso on it.
gave it to a relative years ago,i hardly played the unit due to R4[DS].
got a used psp 2000 just last year because i still have umd games like GTA:LCS,Tekken:DR,etc,
and umd movies.
img1428t.jpg
psp 2000 build was kind of cheap compared to the 1000.
i still hardly use it. bought it to try out the new psp games and homebrew stuff that doesn't
work on the vita.

avran89

ALWB 4 LIFE!!! MOOSE!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my PSP a few months ago online for $44. I soft-modded it in minutes and it plays great. I wish there were a bigger selection of North American RPGs

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love to get my hands on a hackable PSP now... problem is, Sony seems intent on putting the brakes on that. Gamestops here won't even let you take a used one to verify what firmware it's on already. Before the Vita, it was possible to get a $99 PSP package that least contained a 2GB card to start with, but at the time I didn't have money to spare.

Now, it's $129 with NOTHING. And on top of that, the price and supply of MS Pro duo cards is in ridiculously high price and short supply. I've been unable to find any bigger than 8gb in stores, and a 32gig MS Pro Duo is more than a 64GB SDXC card.

The PSP go has its own proprietary format that's incompatible with everything else, and same with the Vita. Not to mention its no-UMD format would exclude me from any of the games I would want to buy legit for one (e.g. Katamari, the Mega Man games that were never made available for download, etc.); further, I hate the controls for the PSP go. My only quip with the original PSP is that the analog nub feels wrong... well, it feels to me like they took that one aspect of the PSP's controls, and made everything worse so that looks good by comparison. It's insulting, IMO.

So really, just don't know what to do...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I would love to get my hands on a hackable PSP now... problem is, Sony seems intent on putting the brakes on that.
How? They haven't done a firmware update in almost a year and the current major firmware versions are hacked.

Gamestops here won't even let you take a used one to verify what firmware it's on already.
It doesn't matter, every model on any firmware can be hacked now. That's not Sony anyways, that's gamestop, and they want to help prevent piracy because they want you to buy games from them.

Before the Vita, it was possible to get a $99 PSP package that least contained a 2GB card to start with, but at the time I didn't have money to spare.
Where the hell did you see new models for $99, other than short-lived sales? I have never seen that price (for a new system).

Now, it's $129 with NOTHING.
Same for the DSi XL (the DSi being $100). Used is where you find the cheaper-than-retail prices.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best buy for a good while here had some packages from Sony with the 2GB card and a game or movie, sold for $99 new. But now all the stores, if they carry PSP systems at all, only have the PSP 3000 anyway, bare, for $129.

Far as I'm concerned, it's that kind of attitude that makes me never want to shop at Gamestop. When they want to give me crap like that, I just ask them plainly, "do you want me to buy or not?" ... if they still give me crap, I just walk out.

But yea, even the FAQ's here state that I'd have to have a certain revision of PSP still? or one below 6.60 or something like that? At least for a full hack. Again, only reason I ever wanted a PSP was for all the cool shit you could do once it was hacked.

But yea, my hangup now is the fact that it's next to impossible to find a big 'nuff MS Pro Duo readily available, that's if the given store(s) around here haven't just flat out stopped selling PSP anything altogether.

strawhatninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a 3000 from a gamestop a couple of weeks ago and it was easy to hack. Plus I didn't even ask what the firmware was because Rydian told me b4 that any version is hackable

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
But yea, my hangup now is the fact that it's next to impossible to find a big 'nuff MS Pro Duo readily available, that's if the given store(s) around here haven't just flat out stopped selling PSP anything altogether.
Prices at Amazon are pretty good now though. Pretty sure the last time I checked, prices with shipping included are almost half of the retail price in Australia :\ Or at the very least, you could go for the dual microSD adaptor (can't quite recall what it's called but yea) :)

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prices at Amazon are pretty good now though. Pretty sure the last time I checked, prices with shipping included are almost half of the retail price in Australia :\ Or at the very least, you could go for the dual microSD adaptor (can't quite recall what it's called but yea) :)
I think I remember seeing that on Newegg. That said, reviews don't seem that good. :( What's the max that the PSP would recognize storage-wise?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think I remember seeing that on Newegg. That said, reviews don't seem that good. :( What's the max that the PSP would recognize storage-wise?

Think is 32 GB from Memory stick duo, 64 GB using Photofast CR-5400 + 2 x 32 GB microSD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night