Hacking Why won't FBI let me fully install big CIA files? #FBI #CFW #3DS #PokemonUSUM

ShaneyLadz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So recently I was able to install Luma CFW on my 3DS, along with homebrew and FBI. I was using a 2GB SD Card, where I downloaded a CIA of Mario Kart 7 (which was successful). I also downloaded TwiLight Menu in order to play DS games such as Pokemon SoulSilver and Platinum. Eventually, I moved all my files over onto a formatted 64GB SD Card and as a result, didn't have any issues - I was able to download Super Smash Bros. - however when I attempted to install Pokemon Moon, the installation would always fail. I would install the CIA on FBI and then it would reach 99% -2 secs before it would finish- but then bam! Failed to install the CIA!

People would suggest that it could potentially be a corrupted CIA file, I tried many other CIA files of Pokemon Ultra Moon and even Ultra Sun, but as always, I would always be given the same error. My theory is perhaps FBI aren't able to install files this big, given that Pokemon UM & US are over 3 GB. Furthermore, it was hard for me to be convinced that my SD Card was indeed corrupt or fake as I was still able to install CIAs that were about 1GB or less.

Here, I have plugged 2 files to this thread;
These 2 files showcase what happens before the issue occurs, and what the issue shows.

Hopefully, I can receive some feedback on this - and in addition, some advice on how to approach this sort of issue.
I decided to make this thread because so far, it has been difficult for me to identify another thread where someone has been faced with this same problem.

Any feedback is appreciated!

ApplicationFrameHost_hXjMefIeWR.png
ApplicationFrameHost_uSc9nNo37J.png

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
Small files being fine but large ones corrupting is exactly what would be expected of a fake card. They're small cards that have been re-programed to lie about their size. As others have said you should use H2testw to test it. If you got your card from ebay or an amazon seller,etc it is almost guaranteed to be a fake. Especially if it was much cheaper than buying one from somewhere like direct from Amazon themselves(not sellers or even sellers that are "fulfilled by Amazon" or other reputable store.

Last edited by spectral,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Fbi is not the issue it can install all cia files no matter what the size of them are.

Where did you buy your sd card from? Because if its from ebay or amazon then there is a 99% chance of it being fake and not the actual size you think it is.
Not if it's from 1st party Amazon.
So recently I was able to install Luma CFW on my 3DS, along with homebrew and FBI. I was using a 2GB SD Card, where I downloaded a CIA of Mario Kart 7 (which was successful). I also downloaded TwiLight Menu in order to play DS games such as Pokemon SoulSilver and Platinum. Eventually, I moved all my files over onto a formatted 64GB SD Card and as a result, didn't have any issues - I was able to download Super Smash Bros. - however when I attempted to install Pokemon Moon, the installation would always fail. I would install the CIA on FBI and then it would reach 99% -2 secs before it would finish- but then bam! Failed to install the CIA!

People would suggest that it could potentially be a corrupted CIA file, I tried many other CIA files of Pokemon Ultra Moon and even Ultra Sun, but as always, I would always be given the same error. My theory is perhaps FBI aren't able to install files this big, given that Pokemon UM & US are over 3 GB. Furthermore, it was hard for me to be convinced that my SD Card was indeed corrupt or fake as I was still able to install CIAs that were about 1GB or less.

Here, I have plugged 2 files to this thread;
These 2 files showcase what happens before the issue occurs, and what the issue shows.

Hopefully, I can receive some feedback on this - and in addition, some advice on how to approach this sort of issue.
I decided to make this thread because so far, it has been difficult for me to identify another thread where someone has been faced with this same problem.

Any feedback is appreciated!

View attachment 171860 View attachment 171861
This is exactly what happens with a corrupted CIA, it will get to 99% and then fail the hash check. Since you tried different CIAs the most likely culprit is a fake card.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just formatted my SD Card with my files saved in a folder on my desktop before using H2Testw. It will take about 2 hours for the procedure to be finished so I will check back here later.
You can stop the test early if the menu lights up red or an error is reported. A hardware failed card needs to be replaced; no if's or but's. Remember to also run H2testw on the replacement card. For cards bigger than 32 GB, format with guiformat or MiniTool Partition Wizard (free edition). See quadruple reformat & cluster size choice for 128 GB and larger cards.

Edit - Check my sig for micro SD choices. See if amazon.co.uk has equivalent listings as our amazon.com counterparts.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To be fair, you can get fake sd cards both from amazon first party orders and even from a brick and mortar store, but the chances are magnitudes lower compared to ebay or ali express and it's much easier to exchange them.

and his card might not be fake, but still corrupted/broken. if it was heavily used previously

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
To be fair, you can get fake sd cards both from amazon first party orders and even from a brick and mortar store, but the chances are magnitudes lower compared to ebay or ali express and it's much easier to exchange them.

and his card might not be fake, but still corrupted/broken. if it was heavily used previously

True, nowhere is completely safe, but it is much harder for the fakes to enter that supply chain. They also only sell you fakes by accident. Getting one from ebay or a seller, they're usually knowingly selling fakes. But your point is valid, a card from anywhere should be tested.

It's also true it could just be a genuine but faulty card, however when these threads come up it usually ends up being a fake card, so people are just playing the odds on the potential problem.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm this, got a fake 128GB SanDisk that was sold and shipped by Amazon.com. They were able to replace it easily, but obviously 3rd party stock can get co-mingled with Amazon's stock.

ShaneyLadz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I just arrived back, I left my laptop on to run H2testw, AND HOLY FRICK. I didn't realise the 64GB SD Card was this corrupt. Nearly 50GB corrupted and only 3.8GB that is fine.

I think it's best to say that this SD Card needs to be replaced.

Attachments

• sPHSmJ0.png
    sPHSmJ0.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 339
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just arrived back, I left my laptop on to run H2testw, AND HOLY FRICK. I didn't realise the 64GB SD Card was this corrupt. Nearly 50GB corrupted and only 3.8GB that is fine.

I think it's best to say that this SD Card needs to be replaced.
To interpret this report, your fake "64 GB" card is infact a falsely relabelled 4 GB.

All the games you already installed on your setup, try to backup the saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM after you get a (tested / verified good) replacement card. Reinstall all the games with fresh CIAs and then restore all the saves+extdata. Don't install CIAs without backing up saves+extdata, or you'll be sorry.

Reactions: ShaneyLadz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!