Why Wiikey!!!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by NBA Mj, May 1, 2007.

May 1, 2007

Why Wiikey!!! by NBA Mj at 1:45 PM (2,532 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. NBA Mj
    OP

Newcomer NBA Mj Advanced Member

United Arab Emirates
    I wonder why everyone is just keeping talking about Wiikey.
    I mean isn't Cyclowiz better than Wiikey!!
    I wanted to order pre-moded Wii with Cyclowiz but I couldn't find one, all the stores are selling Wii with Wiikey.
    Please I want a piece of adivce of which modchip should I get. :'(

2. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Wiikey has more advanced features than the CycloWiz, so that's why it's considered better.

- failsafe recovery mode
    - built in partial region free (not sure if the new versions of the cyclowiz have this...they might)
    - Wii game dumper
    - General Config disk benefits

3. Louse76

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    See, there are technical differences between the Cyclowiz and WiiKey chips.

The one that sets Cyclowiz apart is the fact that it (and I'm going to use a technical term here): sucks donkey balls.

There is no reason to go with Cyclowiz over WiiKey, unless you enjoy having to wire up a switch to perform updates. They say WiiKey isn't as good at playing some GameCube games, but I haven't run into a single issue.

4. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Ahh yes, good point Louse76. All the unnecessary wires and an extra switch you need to buy yourself separately and wire up to perform updates. Either you have the switch on the outside of the console and make it look ugly or you have to open your Wii every time you update the cyclowiz. A rather stupid idea if you ask me...

5. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    The reason why you haven't experienced any problems with GC games is because you're not trying the games which need audiofix - there's about 30 titles or thereabouts that suffer from the Wiikey's inept audiofix solution. I'm not sure if Cyclowiz users have this problem with regards to audiofix.

Still, the Wiikey is the better chip, and should be even better once the firmware update is released

6. NBA Mj
    OP

United Arab Emirates
    But can't we say that Cyclowiz is better than Wiikey with its update!! [​IMG]
    I want a chip which will enable me to play all back up games without having any problem in either GC and Wii.
    And if there are other disadvatages of Cyclowiz other than the wires thing, I would appreciate to know them.

7. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    the cyclowiz with the update is the better chip at this present time. But the hassle of going to install and placing a switch, and then playing around with the switch to get the update to work, seems a lot of work for someone lazy like me.

So yes the cylcowiz is the best chip available, but the wiikey, if the update is to be believed, wil better the cyclowiz when it's available.

8. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Not sure if the cyclowiz has a region free feature like the wiikey. It saves you have to patch the games to your region. From what I've heard about the cyclowiz its that its slow with the updates. So they may stop at any time. The wiikey has sold loads and should have many new updates to come. I'm really pleased with mine. Also if your cheap you can get a clone wiikey for £5.

9. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Stop spreading lies [​IMG] Cyclowiz V3 does have region free just as Wiikey does.

To be honest I think the Cyclowiz has a couple of benefits.
    -No Gamecube game problems as a result of streaming audio issues (this will be moot when a Wiikey update comes along)
    -The fact that you need an external switch to program the chip, means that there is an unlikely possibility of anything nasty (from Nintendo or any other source) rendering it useless. Cyclowiz also has the disable wire as an added backup should the chip be detected in any way (whether it is possible to detect or not - I would think it would be). If the Wiikey can be upgraded just by inserting a disc, who can say that a malicious disc couldn't do the same thing (it could be a fake game ISO even)?
    -The Cyclowiz team have proven to be sufficiently knowledgeable when it comes to technical details; remember they promised an update and delivered on that promise eventually - one with a nice UI at that. They have also stated that they designed the chip to let the drive operate in as "vanilla" or transparent state as possible (hence no speed tweaking disc) - it even disables itself entirely if it detects an original Wii disc has been inserted.
    -Quicksolder is possible (I was able to do it) - I heard reports that it's very difficult for the Wiikey, and may require little wires to bridge the gaps.
    -No indentical-looking clones floating around [​IMG]

Cyclowiz cons:
    -The external switch of course, and the underlying problem that makes it necessary: the type of chip used on the Cyclowiz isn't great for reprogramming inside a console (and may result in ruining your chip if the update fails).

10. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Aside from a couple GC games, Drivechips are as good as they're going to get. They'll all about equal now, get the cheapest one (open source)

Now that people are dumping the Wii Bios, we can start thinking true modchip.

11. littleho

Member littleho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    wiinja deluxe! amirite?! yeah? yeah?

12. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    - cyclowiz has region free
    - The wii game dumper isnt a feature of the wiikey its a homebrew app that any1 can have

Plus at the end of the day its nice to know if i ever wanna disable my chip its just a simple button combo whereas with the wiikey i dont believe they have a chip disable.

I honestly wouldnt recomend a wiikey to anyone, Why go for a chip that has some problems when you can have a chip that works flawlessly?

13. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    simple, the Wiikey(clone) is much cheaper than any retail Modchip. 7-10USD for a chip is a steal. Not to mention it functions exactly like the original chip. That's why the majority of the people here have Wiikey/Clones and it's recommended everywhere.

As for me if I had to do it again, I'd probably go with a Wiinja deluxe. Just because Ninjas>>Pirate =D

14. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Cuz it's cheap.

Yeah if anyone was looking I'd just hold off on buying a modchip for a while. new ones keep comming out, and we might even see no-solder chips eventually.

Sorry if you want a straight answer OP, most of what you're going to see in these kinds of threads are modchip fanboy circlejerks and retardation.

People get really worked up about stealing games. Have you considered buying them, OP?

15. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    How would a no solder chip work. You flash the firmware or something?

16. INTERNETS

Member INTERNETS GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No, you just place the chip exactly over the solder points. I don't see how possible it'd be, though, as the nearest screw point is pretty far.

17. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    You could glue it down I guess. It would be easier for people who dont know how to solder. You would have to be really precise when positioning the chip.

18. NBA Mj
    OP

United Arab Emirates
    Thanks guys.
    I think I'll go with Cyclowiz for now as it has great compatibilities and some other good features

19. darkovo

Newcomer darkovo Member

I started with the WiiKey but unfortunately got one of the new boards with solder point 3 missing so have done a Cyclowiz and can't see any difference. No real hassle with the Switch either although slightly messy [​IMG]

Yeah if it's just for you then get the cheapest one!