Homebrew Question Why use Daybreak to update firmware?

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Yes, that's what you'll have to do if you update through official means. However, if the goal is to preserve your fuse count, booting into RCM/Hekate before the system boots into Horizon and burns your fuses is a gamble.
In my case the update is already downloaded, and booting into Hekate to disable AutoRCM will end applying the update :unsure:

InvictusLays

Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Yes, that's what you'll have to do if you update through official means. However, if the goal is to preserve your fuse count, booting into RCM/Hekate before the system boots into Horizon and burns your fuses is a gamble.

If update my OFW through official means, loading stock in hekate before, the AutoRCM is deleted?

There's no way to update my OFW through official means and enter in RCM without fails, and dont burn efuses?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If update my OFW through official means, loading stock in hekate before, the AutoRCM is deleted?

There's no way to update my OFW through official means and enter in RCM without fails, and dont burn efuses?
AutoRCM will be removed, and your fuses will be burnt, if you update through official means after booting stock in Hekate. You must be running Atmosphere while updating if you want to preserve AutoRCM and your fuse count. This is relatively safe if all you're doing is running Atmosphere to update the system in the system settings.

If you don't care about your fuse count, you can just boot stock, and then reinstall AutoRCM after updating through the system settings.

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

InvictusLays

Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
AutoRCM will be removed, and your fuses will be burnt, if you update through official means after booting stock in Hekate. You must be running Atmosphere while updating if you want to preserve AutoRCM and your fuse count. This is relatively safe if all you're doing is running Atmosphere to update the system in the system settings.

If you don't care about your fuse count, you can just boot stock, and then reinstall AutoRCM after updating through the system settings.

For the only thing that interests me not to burn effuses is in case in the future I need to restore a backup to re-create the emummc, if it were to get damaged and the current version will patch the cfw or something.

Could I restore my old backup, create the emummc and then revert to the version according to the burned effuses and not be banned?

ravj17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
@Lacius Wait a minute... Is it possible to update firmware through official means even if I my console is banned? What about updating games? I didn't know that... I apreciate your information.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the only thing that interests me not to burn effuses is in case in the future I need to restore a backup to re-create the emummc, if it were to get damaged and the current version will patch the cfw or something.

Could I restore my old backup, create the emummc and then revert to the version according to the burned effuses and not be banned?
If your goal is to have a clean sysMMC for online play and a dirty emuMMC for hacks, then you should update your sysMMC through the system settings. If you don't want to burn your fuses, and you already have AutoRCM installed, you should be running Atmosphere on your clean sysMMC when you update the system in the system settings. This will make it so AutoRCM is not removed.

If you do not plan on using a clean sysMMC for online play, then you shouldn't bother with an emuMMC.

There isn't much of a reason to worry about your fuse count, to be honest. The only reason to care about your fuse count is so you can downgrade for future exploits, but that doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon (if ever), and the RCM exploit will last you forever if your Switch is RCM exploitable. Other than that, the fuse count doesn't really matter, since the fuse count checks can be bypassed using fusee-primary or Hekate.

@Lacius Wait a minute... Is it possible to update firmware through official means even if I my console is banned? What about updating games? I didn't know that... I apreciate your information.
It depends on what kind of ban you have. If you can't update through official means, you can update using Daybreak.

InvictusLays

Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
If your goal is to have a clean sysMMC for online play and a dirty emuMMC for hacks, then you should update your sysMMC through the system settings. If you don't want to burn your fuses, and you already have AutoRCM installed, you should be running Atmosphere on your clean sysMMC when you update the system in the system settings. This will make it so AutoRCM is not removed.

If you do not plan on using a clean sysMMC for online play, then you shouldn't bother with an emuMMC.

There isn't much of a reason to worry about your fuse count, to be honest. The only reason to care about your fuse count is so you can downgrade for future exploits, but that doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon (if ever), and the RCM exploit will last you forever if your Switch is RCM exploitable. Other than that, the fuse count doesn't really matter, since the fuse count checks can be bypassed using fusee-primary or Hekate.

I already understood well. And I only have two questions left. Is there no risk of banning for using hekate and using the lauch stock option (clean sysnand) with a version number less than the blown fuses bypassing the count checks?

No risk of banning when running Atmosphere on my clean sysnand, just to update via system settings? (Wouldn't this mess it up in some way even just to update?)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there no risk of banning for using hekate and using the lauch stock option (clean sysnand) with a version number less than the blown fuses bypassing the count checks?
There is no known ban risk associated with having a lower than expected fuse count.

No risk of banning when running Atmosphere on my clean sysnand, just to update via system settings? (Wouldn't this mess it up in some way even just to update?)
It is highly unlikely you will be banned for running Atmosphere briefly just to update your system in the system settings, all without running any homebrew applications.

InvictusLays

Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
There is no known ban risk associated with having a lower than expected fuse count.

It is highly unlikely you will be banned for running Atmosphere briefly just to update your system in the system settings, all without running any homebrew applications.

Thank you very much for your help, I will think well which option I take, if I burn effuses or if I run Atmosphere in the clean sysnand just to update and that the AutoRCM is not deactivated.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for your help, I will think well which option I take, if I burn effuses or if I run Atmosphere in the clean sysnand just to update and that the AutoRCM is not deactivated.
If your fuse count is already relatively high, there's probably no reason to preserve it.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Hi. I saw this post and didn't know there was the option to run Atmosphere in a clean sysnand to update, to preserve fuses.

Is atmosphere really not considered hacking within that clean sysnand, so that it wouldn't lead to banning at all?
Do you know if the fuses would be burned if ever later on booting without rcm?

I'm also not sure how it works to enter or not atmosphere in the sysnand, but maybe that would be clearer once I mod my switch..

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I saw this post and didn't know there was the option to run Atmosphere in a clean sysnand to update, to preserve fuses.

Is atmosphere really not considered hacking within that clean sysnand, so that it wouldn't lead to banning at all?
Do you know if the fuses would be burned if ever later on booting without rcm?

I'm also not sure how it works to enter or not atmosphere in the sysnand, but maybe that would be clearer once I mod my switch..
Fuses will always be burnt if you launch Horizon without using a custom bootloader, like Hekate or fusee-primary, if the system version is higher than expected. This means that if you don't have AutoRCM installed to prevent normal stock boots, your fuse count has been updated automatically. You can check your fuse count using Hekate.

Generally speaking, you should never boot CFW using your clean sysMMC. Preventing your fuse count from changing (if you also have AutoRCM installed) during a system update on your clean sysMMC is one of the very few exceptions. The ban risk is minimal if that's all you're using Atmosphere for on your sysMMC. This reason this works isn't because Atmosphere blocks fuse count updates: It's because it prevents AutoRCM from being removed.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Windsall

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fuses will always be burnt if you launch Horizon without using a custom bootloader, like Hekate or fusee-primary, if the system version is higher than expected. This means that if you don't have AutoRCM installed to prevent normal stock boots, your fuse count has been updated automatically. You can check your fuse count using Hekate.

Generally speaking, you should never boot CFW using your clean sysMMC. Preventing your fuse count from changing (if you also have AutoRCM installed) during a system update on your clean sysMMC is one of the very few exceptions. The ban risk is minimal if that's all you're using Atmosphere for on your sysMMC. This reason this works isn't because Atmosphere blocks fuse count updates: It's because it prevents AutoRCM from being removed.

Thanks, helps to know. I wonder why only using it for updating doesn't pose a risk.
I also didn't know the cfw could be run from the regular nand. (or how to do that, since I'm new to it)

I think what I'll do for now is update it regularly, and only us atmosphere for it in the future if updates get riskier for some reason or other.
At least that's my thoughts on it for now, since I don't want to risk any ban, even if it's minimal.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, helps to know. I wonder why only using it for updating doesn't pose a risk.
I also didn't know the cfw could be run from the regular nand. (or how to do that, since I'm new to it)

I think what I'll do for now is update it regularly, and only us atmosphere for it in the future if updates get riskier for some reason or other.
At least that's my thoughts on it for now, since I don't want to risk any ban, even if it's minimal.
If you aren't using AutoRCM, or if you don't care about your fuse count, you don't have to run Atmosphere on your sysMMC when updating your sysMMC.

You generally don't want to run homebrew on your sysMMC if you're keeping it clean. If you plan on using your sysMMC for online play with legitimately purchased games, then you want to keep it clean, and you want to use your emuMMC that is offline or has Incognito installed for all hackery. If you aren't using your sysMMC for online play, then there's no need to even have an emuMMC.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you aren't using AutoRCM, or if you don't care about your fuse count, you don't have to run Atmosphere on your sysMMC when updating your sysMMC.

You generally don't want to run homebrew on your sysMMC if you're keeping it clean. If you plan on using your sysMMC for online play with legitimately purchased games, then you want to keep it clean, and you want to use your emuMMC that is offline or has Incognito installed for all hackery. If you aren't using your sysMMC for online play, then there's no need to even have an emuMMC.

Yup I plan to use the sysnand for online play, but most of the time I'll be in the emunand for the modded things.

it does make me wonder, if someone doesn't use the emunand, does that mean not needing to connect to a usb for the payload when booting? That seems attractive too XD.
I wanna do my best to not get banned. Though I'm also not a fan of the payload booting aspect.

I also want to keep my system up to date, but I guess have to be careful if some updates could mess something up. at some point (hopefully not). I do know I need to update atmosphere and the sigs when there is one.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup I plan to use the sysnand for online play, but most of the time I'll be in the emunand for the modded things.

it does make me wonder, if someone doesn't use the emunand, does that mean not needing to connect to a usb for the payload when booting? That seems attractive too XD.
I wanna do my best to not get banned. Though I'm also not a fan of the payload booting aspect.

I also want to keep my system up to date, but I guess have to be careful if some updates could mess something up. at some point (hopefully not). I do know I need to update atmosphere and the sigs when there is one.
You have to launch a payload over USB to use CFW, regardless of whether you're booting into your sysMMC or emuMMC.

You must wait for Atmosphere to receive a compatibility update before updating your system version on your emuMMC. However, you can update your sysMMC before Atmosphere receives an update, since you must keep your sysMMC up to date to play online, and you generally won't be using Atmosphere with your sysMMC.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You have to launch a payload over USB to use CFW, regardless of whether you're booting into your sysMMC or emuMMC.

You must wait for Atmosphere to receive a compatibility update before updating your system version on your emuMMC. However, you can update your sysMMC before Atmosphere receives an update, since you must keep your sysMMC up to date to play online, and you generally won't be using Atmosphere with your sysMMC.

Got it.
So there's no modding way besides modchips to boot a CFW at all on its own, even without using emunands? (say someone doesn't care about being banned or were banned)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it.
So there's no modding way besides modchips to boot a CFW at all on its own, even without using emunands? (say someone doesn't care about being banned or were banned)
That is correct. There are only three ways to boot CFW:
  1. RCM exploit (requires a way to enter RCM and a payload sent over USB).
  2. Software exploit (limited to very low system versions and comporting low fuse counts) (must be launched manually from the web browser or news app after each coldboot)
  3. Modchip

sTo0z

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So you can update offline.
I use it to update my Emunand that's otherwise permanently offline or masked out from Nintendo servers.

Same, I use Nintendo to update my regular partition for online use, boot into my completely offline emunand and use Daybreak to update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1