1. Melter

OP Melter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi, sorry if this question has been asked before, I could not find a clear answer searching.

I am confused as to what the point of updating using daybreak/choidijourNX is over using Nintendo's own update feature?

I understand that updating using daybreak prevents eFuses from being burned during the update, which in turn allows you to potentially downgrade to an earlier firmware down the road. But why would I ever want to do this? Am I not always best off being on the latest firmware to have maximum compatibility and access to all the new features?

My Switch is already banned by Nintendo, but I am still able to use the stock system update feature (and have been this whole time).

My main concern is that I am more comfortable doing a firmware update through the stock method than using a third party homebrew. So is there any real down side to this besides not being able to downgrade your firmware down the road?

2. masagrator

masagrator The patches guy

Poland
    This is false. AutoRCM is not deleted when using official updater.

For example if your initial firmware is low enough, you can go back to software exploits if RCM method is tiring for you. :P

BigOnYa likes this.
  3. Melter

United States
    Not sure what you mean by the first comment, but as for the second, since I have been updating using the official method this whole time and surely cannot downgrade that low anyway, is there any benefit for me to use daybreak at this point to begin with? I have not heard of any homebrew requiring a lower firmware besides the software exploits you mentioned.

4. OldBoi

OldBoi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    'cause we're up during the day? maybe?

OuahOuah and CanIHazWarez like this.
  5. BigOnYa

BigOnYa Sofa King Special

United States
    I do the same with every update, use Nintendy standard update thru OFW, settings, update..i turn off auto rcm .remove sd card , reboot to ofw then update. I'm already banned and not worried bout burning fuses on this switch anyways.

Last edited by BigOnYa, Feb 27, 2021
    mendezagus, Dede1511 and OldBoi like this.
  6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    First, ChoiDujourNX should never be used, since it's not as safe as Daybreak.

That being said, if you don't care about being banned or you're already banned, it doesn't really matter if you use Daybreak or update through the system settings. The only other benefit to using Daybreak over the official methods is to preserve AutoRCM and/or your fuse count.

Updating through official means will remove AutoRCM. If you boot your system normally after updating normally (without reinstalling AutoRCM first), you will also alter your fuse count.

BigOnYa likes this.
  7. masagrator

Poland
    If my memory doesn't deceive me, I remember updating officially with autorcm enabled and autorcm was still there after updating.

Well, can't check anymore as my unpatched unit burned out. :D

Last edited by masagrator, Feb 27, 2021
    BigOnYa likes this.
  8. Melter

United States
    Thanks for confirming, I will carry on using the official update method then :gba:

BigOnYa likes this.
  9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Updating through official means will not preserve AutoRCM. If AutoRCM was preserved for you, that was an anomaly, and you shouldn't trust an official update to preserve AutoRCM.

Last edited by Lacius, Feb 27, 2021
    BigOnYa likes this.
  10. masagrator

Poland
    Don't worry. I have now modchipped Switch.

BigOnYa likes this.
  11. BigOnYa

BigOnYa Sofa King Special

United States
    If it doesn't preserve autoRCM, you can re-enable it thru hekate menu, atleast that worked for me

12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Yes, that's what you'll have to do if you update through official means. However, if the goal is to preserve your fuse count, booting into RCM/Hekate before the system boots into Horizon and burns your fuses is a gamble.

BigOnYa likes this.
  13. CanIHazWarez

CanIHazWarez GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What's unsafe about Choi? This is my first time hearing this.

14. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    It doesn't update the way the Switch does. It's PROBABLY safe. But Daybreak emulates how Nintendo updates the Switch.

CanIHazWarez and Lacius like this.
  15. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Pretty much what @linuxares said above. ChoiDujourNX isn't super unsafe or anything, but it is less safe than Daybreak for the reason given above. The use of ChoiDujourNX on Mariko systems can also cause problems down the road.

Using Daybreak instead of ChoiDujourNX is highly recommended. For SX OS users who can't use Daybreak, booting into Atmosphere and using Daybreak is highly recommended.

spotanjo3 and CanIHazWarez like this.
  16. Raugo

Raugo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Atmosphere protect the autorcm during the official update, if you update from OFW or other CFW then yes the autorcm is deleted.

Lacius likes this.
  17. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    That's right. Thanks for reminding me.

18. Zkajavier

Zkajavier GBAtemp Regular

Costa Rica
    So you can update offline.
    I use it to update my Emunand that's otherwise permanently offline or masked out from Nintendo servers.

LightBeam likes this.
  19. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Also next time, post in the proper section. Your thread had nothing to do with CFW, Exploits, or Soft Mods.

20. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I am stuck with an 1.0.0 Switch unable to boot the cracked SXOS neither via SysNAND nor EMUNAND. So I tempted to update the SYSNAND to 11.0.0 while preserving the fuses to try the cracked SXOS. How can I go about it?

RCM-Hetake-AutoRCM on-NoGC on- Boot SysNAND Atmosphere- Daybreak to 11.0.0- SXLoader- Create EMUNAND?

21. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    SXOS as far as I know don't support firmware 1.0.0 since Exfat first came with 2.0.
    If I were you, I would make a Emunand instead. Keep it at 1.0.0. It's the GOLDEN firmware. Then just use emunand.

EDIT: Sorry let me answer the rest.

Boot Hekate - Create a backup first of all! A full backup of boot files, nand and the whole jizz.

Then make a emunand with Hekate. Worst of the worst you could use Atmosphere if you don't absolutely must use SXOS.

Last edited by linuxares, Apr 8, 2021
    tivu100 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Daybreak, firmware, update