Why Still No Hardcore Titles Made For Mobile?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think gaming on a handheld is fine as it is and dont have a problem with it. Gaming on a phone as far as im concerned is meant to be aimed at people with only 5 minutes play time here and there. I dont think its meant to be a hardcore device.

If i spend 5 minutes on the crapper, something like a few games of Bejeweled Blitz, Jetpack Joyride, Temple Run 2, Beach Buggy Blitz, Candy Crush etc are all I really want to mess around with. Those games know their places on a mobile phone, they know they are go to games to kill a couple of minutes and Im perfectly fine with that.

Your not going to get "hardcore" games as it were because the devices dont suit it. Phones will continue to get more powerful but they are still touchscreen devices. and a touchscreen device does not suit gaming which needs quick, precise controls.

And as for lumbering around a clip on controller or some other monstrosity for a mobile phone well...

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
Lack of gaming controls , expectations of very low-prices discourage developers from putting a lot of effort into their games, small hardcore audience doesn't help either? I guess it's the case, every hardcore gamer usually buys a gaming console , and most of mobile phone owners are people who just want to play simple game while on the toilet/ in the bus / waiting in the queue or something.
Maybe the situation will change, but developers would definitely start making such games if the sales were high , well it seems that they're not.

*cough* Xperia Play *cough*

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah i knew it would be brought up. As far as I know it's the only phone that has gaming controls, and is owned by how much percent of mobile phone users? 0.03%? It's the same story as with gaming consoles expansion packs. Look how many games were developed to support f.e. Circle Pad Pro... Everyone develops for things that everyone has and everyone has touch screen, and thats it.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i knew it would be brought up. As far as I know it's the only phone that has gaming controls, and is owned by how much percent of mobile phone users? 0.03%? It's the same story as with gaming consoles expansion packs. Look how many games were developed to support f.e. Circle Pad Pro... Everyone develops for things that everyone has and everyone has touch screen, and thats it.

No, everybody don't have!

I don't have.
I don't have the device, nor do I subscribe to the service that is required to get the things you want on that device.

So that makes you wrong!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

There's only two things you're missing here:
  • You can buy a controller separately, some even nicely fold when you don't need'em
  • For all those games that do not have controller support, there's touch emulation
There's literally nothing stopping you from playing your Android games without ever having to use the touchscreen in-game.

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I didn't know that there's that touch emulation thingy , so you are right on that point, but let's not forget that games not developed with controller support are aiming for the simpliest control schemes possible. Look at Rayman Jungle Run - they don't even allow you to move Rayman with arrows, you can just jump and punch ( maybe more, I haven't finished this game yet ). My point is just that developers will create games that everybody can play on every device , how many people own bluetooth controller for theirs? And I have only seen one ( I'm talking about my personal experience ) hardcore game that managed to pull off good controls using touch screen - Dead Space . It is just hard to create a game that requires a lot of 'buttons' that will be suitable for touchscreen players. I can't imagine playing f.e. Resident Evil on my phone - it requires at least 4 arrows, 3 buttons and menu button. With a bluetooth controller it would be just like playing on a portable console , but devs will not create a game just for this very small controller-userbase, when everyone also expects the price to be less than 5$. It's just not profitable.

SickPuppy
Holy shit man, you made my entire argument wrong. Get outta this thread and leavemealone ;(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill