I dont know what to put here
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lecture.gif

There are several reasons why this is a bad idea.

1 - Out of production
Real R4DS cards (see 3 for more info about fake R4 cards) are out of production and are increasing in price when there are cheaper cards that are MUCH better than the R4DS.

2 - No firmware updates
The R4 Team (the team who make R4 updates) simply don't make updates anymore.
No updates have been out in months and probably will never come out for it.
So if games don't work, you're screwed!

3 - Too many fake R4s
There are probably more fake R4s then Real R4s being sold.
R4 III, R4 SDHC, N5DS and many other nasty clones exist.
Some clones like N5DS can fry your DS, turning it into a brick and no more than that.

4 - It's just obsolete
It used to be the best card out but now its time is up.
Or to put it simply:
Compare a Gameboy to a Nintendo DS Lite

I actually own an R4DS and I am tempted to buy a newer flashcard.

One card that I see many users recommend is the CycloDS.
It has constant firmware upgrades as well as some nice features like
Real-Time Save and Slow-motion.
It also supports Micro SDHC which are MicroSD cards that have 4gb and 8gb capacities (and soon 16 and 32gb capacities)
So I hope that helped you out and Happy Gaming!
yaynds.gif

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend buying an R4 if it is less than $1. If you pay for shipping, remember, it is scam!

R4's also make perfect x-mas gifts, birthday gifts etc. Nothing like handing it over in goodwill
biggrin.gif

matteo2005

Trophies
XP
Country
i bought an R4 (non-fake) a week ago and i dont see what the problem is with them all of my games work and i have like nearly 40 and it has all the features i want

Tragoedia181

B*tch I Look Like Goku!!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
agentgamma said:
lecture.gif

There are several reasons why this is a bad idea.

1 - Out of production
Real R4DS cards (see 3 for more info about fake R4 cards) are out of production and are increasing in price when there are cheaper cards that are MUCH better than the R4DS.

2 - No firmware updates
The R4 Team (the team who make R4 updates) simply don't make updates anymore.
No updates have been out in months and probably will never come out for it.
So if games don't work, you're screwed!

3 - Too many fake R4s
There are probably more fake R4s then Real R4s being sold.
R4 III, R4 SDHC, N5DS and many other nasty clones exist.
Some clones like N5DS can fry your DS, turning it into a brick and no more than that.

4 - It's just obsolete
It used to be the best card out but now its time is up.
Or to put it simply:
Compare a Gameboy to a Nintendo DS Lite

I actually own an R4DS and I am tempted to buy a newer flashcard.

One card that I see many users recommend is the CycloDS.
It has constant firmware upgrades as well as some nice features like
Real-Time Save and Slow-motion.
It also supports Micro SDHC which are MicroSD cards that have 4gb and 8gb capacities (and soon 16 and 32gb capacities)
So I hope that helped you out and Happy Gaming!
yaynds.gif
he list ALOT of good reason that r4 suck. do what i did and get a cyclods worth every penny.

SkyintheSea

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, CycloDS is going to have a bright future.
R4 cards are SIMPLY to risky to get, but if you buy a genuine card it's going to cost you 50$+ and you can get a CycloDS with that money!

AeroHex

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
if you can't afford a cyclo go for an edge it meant to surpport 16gb and 32 all ready! not that one even exists yet

edge (around $30 au =) ) cyclo ds (around $70-80 au)

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All of those reasons are true and my advice is the same, but I'd like to point out that there are rare reports of pretty much all brands of flash cart, even real ones, blowing DS fuses. The risks probably go up with a shady clone, but the carts are shady to begin with.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hexane26 said:
if you can't afford a cyclo go for an edge it meant to surpport 16gb and 32 all ready! not that one even exists yet

Just to make it sure, all newer carts are SDHC compatible, so that means that all of them support cards up to 32 GB in theory..
Biggest currently available microSD card is 8 GB....But 12 GB and 16 GB are announced soon to be released..

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still own a Original R4DS, it was a great cart, still is a great cart, but lacks SDHC support, and firmware updates. Usually you can patch the ROM yourself to make it work on the R4DS but most people are too lazy or too stupid to do that and complain that the R4DS sucks.

I recently moved onto a EDGE cart. It is a great budget cart. It has the same type save files. very similar menu system, but has more frequent firmware updates along with SDHC support. So that goes my recommendation for anyone that wants a good cheap cart. If you want the best then you pay for the best (CycloDS) but not everyone can afford that.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I want to add... Why not buy a Acekard 2?
wink.gif
I heard that it is very very good, but also cheap enough (like €35 with 2GB micro sd card). Well at least in germany
wink.gif

Ah yeah I own a R4 and for me all games work, too. So i cannot complain about it

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
roguetrip said:
I still own a Original R4DS, it was a great cart, still is a great cart, but lacks SDHC support, and firmware updates. Usually you can patch the ROM yourself to make it work on the R4DS but most people are too lazy or too stupid to do that and complain that the R4DS sucks.

You do realize that patching the ROM will break any Wifi functionality, right?

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SignZ said:
I want to add... Why not buy a Acekard 2?
wink.gif
I heard that it is very very good, but also cheap enough (like €35 with 2GB micro sd card). Well at least in germany
wink.gif

Ah yeah I own a R4 and for me all games work, too. So i cannot complain about it

As long as its not a clone of r4 or r4, theyre good to go.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
agentgamma said:
Hexane26 said:

does the edge support your 'super l33t' custom firmware?
yaynds.gif
Tut, tut...no need for that
laugh.gif
I hate to be a 'grammar nazi', but geez it hurts trying to read his posts!

@Another World - I tend to agree with your sentiment, well at least the part about the CycloDS. I have 'trialled' the Cyclo for a day and as far as normal gameplay usage goes, I struggled to see any overwhelming reason to buy it over my M3DS Real, or my old (authentic) R4. I admit, however, that my opinion could easily change given further usage of it.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
nl255 said:
roguetrip said:

You do realize that patching the ROM will break any Wifi functionality, right?

Really? You mean the arm7 patch? My Worms is a patched version and the WFC is as good as new

Well, you can still play games with it, so no complaints from me
rolleyes.gif

yabasi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well just saying sum stuff the r4 is probably dying but it USED to be the best cart. As i presume CycloDS is becoming the best cart. But... how do u know Cyclo wont turn out to be another R4 =P in a few years cyclo may crash and burn =P you never know ;D Some people are pretty desperate.. soon they'll attempt to make clones and fakes of cyclo for money =P always target the best ... im just saying dont flame me D:

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yabasi said:
Some people are pretty desperate.. soon they'll attempt to make clones and fakes of cyclo for money =P always target the best ... im just saying dont flame me D:

They will probably still fake R4s for a while since R4 is the most famous DS flashcard.
When people talk about flashcards, they usually refer to them all as 'R4s' (at least everyone I know)
But then pirates will start producing copies of another card.
And we all know what THAT card would be!

yabasi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol i didnt do some research so i bought an r4 a few weeks back >.> but i find nothing rong with it -.- as long as it works and i can play the games that i want to im good... I dont really care about the fancy stuff O.o although the bricking ds stuff scares me but ya ;D live with what you got =p

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O i3? o........................................k
    Both of mine are i5's lol
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their...