Why N never released a consolizied switch?

Reploid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Switch is basically a portalbe console with TV output functionality ('hybrid' is marketing team came to call it to sound fancy). So it make sense to make something like switch lite to remove those extra features, save cost, and provide us with something that's easier to carry around, since normal model is a bit bulky.

To make a consolized full home version also make sense, a bit less, but still. Remove the screen, the battery to cut costs, but add USB support like the wiiu, and maybe overclock it a bit, since energy consumption is not a huge issue, dynamic resolution games will look better by default. It's tottaly doable since somebody already did it

Switch seem to sell well, so somebody would buy it, even if it'll be their second or third console, nintendoboys are like that.
Why nintendo think otherwise? Maybe it'll hurt their image or they just don't think it'll sell well enough?

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I mean Japan is crazy about portables and it's a way to differentiate from the more powerful Xbox and PS5. I really wish the didn't remove features from the lite tbh since it's really the worst switch out there.

Annoyingly, you can't straight out consolize the switch either due to it needing a battery connection and the whole pairing process (you either need touch or a wired controller/physically paired controller to pair others)

edit:

Now that i've seen the video. I kind want one for my V1s (Kit is OLED only). It sucks that there's literally only 1 USB port available (the other one is used for the fan) and it's changed to USB-C. It still uses the battery and the pairing issue is still there. The annoying part is that Tito is saying it's for overclocking but only shows stock switch being installed but video shows overclocking. V1/V2 are being made but the whole, fan is always on is probably another turn-off.

Although it would be cool to see a non portable switch with multiple SD card support (via switches) although Atmosphere kind of hates it. I do wish the next kit adds rails for pairing.

Last edited by fvig2001,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think fvig has the right idea

If you make a totally home console switch, its weak graphics are way less justifiable

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I can't believe. I was still looking for Nintendo Switch box/cube without screen and battery to save cost of build hardware. I not sure when come out anytime in near future. :unsure:
I mean, given how this kit works, you literally could just 3d print your own box but it will still need the battery since the switch refuses to boot without one. I feel it will only make sense if it had USB loading though.

Reactions: console

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
One thing to keep in mind is also that another switch sku would require completely new manufacturing capacity and a pretty significant rework of the OS and whatever microcode is on the other chips to make it work correctly without a touch screen, battery, etc.
Making a regular switch and then turning it into a lite by removing a few features is far less development effort than having to actually rework multiple features.

Remember that the switch is effectively just a phone with fancy controllers, output to a TV has been part of android since 2012 or something on some model lines, and the hardware has effectively always supported it in some way, just most manufacturers never cared to slap in a few more pieces to enable it proper.

Reactions: Reploid and console

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I just want them to make a consolized switch so I don't have to worry about exploding dead batteries down the line. It's a longevity thing.

A cheaper retail price would also be a nice extra, of course.

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
Portability is what's keeping Nintendo afloat at this point, even though steam deck and the likes are already killing it, it's still the most decent portable device with a thin form factor, aside from any phone with a snapdragon 888 or more and a cheap bluetooth controller.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Haven't they tried this already with the Wii U and failed in that regard because it was badly executed?

There's a big market for it if they ever make it utilizing a modules approach to subsidize cost. Personally I play 80% of my Switch in TV mode. Handhelds aren't meant to be shared.

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I doubt a Switch locked to docked mode would be popular enough to justify releasing. Especially since Nintendo won't officially allow overclocking to the same degree that the OC-suite does or it would make existing Switches appear even more underpowered.

The few people who really want a Switch locked to docked mode can make one themselves. I have thought about making one myself with a more capable power supply which can be safely overclocked to higher frequencies but realistically I lack the time and skills to do so.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Switch is basically a portalbe console with TV output functionality ('hybrid' is marketing team came to call it to sound fancy). So it make sense to make something like switch lite to remove those extra features, save cost, and provide us with something that's easier to carry around, since normal model is a bit bulky.

To make a consolized full home version also make sense, a bit less, but still. Remove the screen, the battery to cut costs, but add USB support like the wiiu, and maybe overclock it a bit, since energy consumption is not a huge issue, dynamic resolution games will look better by default. It's tottaly doable since somebody already did it

Switch seem to sell well, so somebody would buy it, even if it'll be their second or third console, nintendoboys are like that.
Why nintendo think otherwise? Maybe it'll hurt their image or they just don't think it'll sell well enough?

First guess is that they know they can't really ship a « home » console with the same joycons, so they would have to ship it with at least a pro controller if not just bigger joycons, which means producing costs is probably a bit higher (another guess but I think that the pro controller is probably more expensive to produce than a pair of joycons)

And the main reason that doesn't exist is probably because they know it would get ridiculed against an Xbox One or a PS4. The need of a dedicated home Switch is very very niche so it just doesn't make sense to put all that effort into doing that. And I think they care about how they look to the competition, sure it's old but they canceled Starfox 2 even tho it was completed (or almost) just because it would look like a joke compared to the competition. We know Nintendo is basically « just doing it's thing outside the Xbox vs Playstation thing », but I'm pretty sure they still don't like being the butt of a joke

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto