Why is there no start to finish tutorial for noobs?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Chiqx, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Chiqx
    OP

Chiqx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hey. I wanted to put a cfw on my 2ds to play games on but I can't find any tutorial which shows from start to finish how to do everything. Is there anything like that? Thanks.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N910F mit Tapatalk

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    Last edited by migles, Aug 27, 2016
  3. konsolenumbau.expert
    This message by konsolenumbau.expert has been removed from public view by raulpica, Aug 27, 2016, Reason: Emoticon only posts are against the rules -rp.
    Aug 27, 2016
  4. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Concerning the guide migles posted, I'd read everything in it before you start to make sure you have a basic understanding of the process. I'm not suggesting you make sure you understand CTRNAND flashing and how it's possible for a universal 2.1 image to be used. Rather, just get a rundown and an estimate on how long it takes. Once you start, it's not a good idea to stop and pick it up later.

5. Chiqx
    OP

Chiqx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    Gambia, The
    So, I got my 2DS today and it has version 10.3 on it. I hope this is fine. There is a SHDC 4GB in there, i ordered a 32GB one which will arrive tomorrow, should I wait for it before start hacking or can I start hacking it anyways?

6. konsolenumbau.expert

konsolenumbau.expert GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    You can start right away but need to transfer everything to the new card when it arrives. I would wait for the new card and do it straight with the new one.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

7. Chiqx
    OP

Chiqx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Oh and btw, do I need a SDHC Card reader? I surely do I think? Because I dont have one, I gotta order one for mc PC then.

8. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    That's a good firmware. You can hack it with just the browser (assuming it was never cart updated).
    The 4GB is fine for hacking, just keep an eye on the space remaining when you make nand backups as they are about 1 gig each.

Most computers have a built in sdhc reader, but some older models may not.
    I would suggest this one as it is cheap, works good, and is excellent for nand modding should you ever get into that.

Last edited by zoogie, Aug 29, 2016
    Ryccardo likes this.
  9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If you have a laptop, chances are it has a built in SD reader.

10. Chiqx
    OP

Chiqx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Oh cool Im so happy its a good version! :) Just out of curiousity; It wont update without internet I hope? I mean, I just turned it off for now, It should tell me when It will be updating I hope? ^^
    It doesnt have an reader sadly, its a custom made computer. :)Well, gotta wait till tomorrow then. :) I can still read through the guide so Im prepared

11. DavidRO99

DavidRO99 Official depressed pikachu

Jun 11, 2016
    Korea, North
    your back-door
    It shouldnt update, just give you a prompt when you boot. Make sure you press no. (Im paranoid so I would shut off the wifi on the DS before my SDHC arrives if I were you)

12. Chiqx
    OP

Chiqx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Thats I good idea will be do that too. :) Is here anyone who actually is german and could help me tomorrow with that (only if I have questions or am stuck at any step) ?^^

13. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    you can get a cheap card reader for a few bucks in every saturn or media markt (or even 1€ shops like Tedi).
    also, be sure to remember to turn wifi back on before you start the hacking process. it needs wifi halfway through.
    also, once you start, make sure to follow every step accurately. dont skip anything, doublecheck if you copied all the files etc.

the 4gb cart is all you need for now, later, you just need to copy over all files (dont put in the empty new card before though)

finally, get a 4-8gb usb stick to backup the nand backups and other important files at the end (those are what you need to save the 2ds if it ever bricks)
    until then, just read the guide over and over and maybe download the files it tells you to download into a folder already

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Aug 29, 2016
  14. konsolenumbau.expert

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    Well....
    (nun ja )

15. Chiqx
    OP

Chiqx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Okay I will buy myself a card reader then and hack the 2DS with the 4GB card. :)

zoogie likes this.
  16. M tha MaN

M tha MaN GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2009
    Germany
    4GB is really enough. Hacked several 2DS and n3DS XL's with just the 4GB card that came with them.
    Just like zoogie said, you'll have to copy your NAND backups always to your PC after creating them because 4GB is going to be filled fast when creating NAND Backups ;)

17. Chiqx
    OP

Chiqx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Okay so I was at Media Markt and bought myself both a card reader and a 16GB SDHC Card. I think I am good to go know or do I need something else except a working PC? :)

18. DavidRO99

DavidRO99 Official depressed pikachu

Jun 11, 2016
    Korea, North
    your back-door
    Good to go

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also get some sleep or smth... dont want to fall asleep while doing the guide...

Sources:Me and my brothers broken 3ds

Chiqx likes this.
  19. Chiqx
    OP

Chiqx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I just woke up. :)

20. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
  21. konsolenumbau.expert

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    Read everything carefully and read the whole guide at least once BEFORE starting. Then you can start :-)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk