Hacking Why is the Wii only able to read 2GB SD cards?

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KalROFL said:
Couldn't you simply put Wii ISOs on a USB Mass Storage Device, and create a homebrew program to boot ISOs?

With USB1.0?

Not possible...

They need to enable USB 2.0 to have enough bandwidth.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
teq said:
TaxiTitan said:
Or get 4gb SD NON SDHC by Transcend.

Just remember "not" to format to FAT32

Um... FAT only supports partitions up to 2GB.... so this won't work.

FAT aka FAT 16 works on devices up to 4GB.

You're sadly mistaken...

It supports up to 4GB per FILE, not PARTITION.

Partition size is, in fact, 2GB maximum.

Nintendo enabling sdhc probably wouldn't make existing games support it, right?

There aren't any games that address/mount the SD card directly. There's a function built into the Wii for that.

So, technically it would be up to the Wii's software.

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo says that they're going to address the storage problem with Wiis soon, and I think this is what they're going to do. They'll first enable sdhc support, and they'll let you play VC games off the sd card. I don't see why they wouldn't, because you can't play games off of it (yet). I really don't see Nintendo making an external hard drive, but that's just my opinion
tongue.gif

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
Nintendo says that they're going to address the storage problem with Wiis soon, and I think this is what they're going to do. They'll first enable sdhc support, and they'll let you play VC games off the sd card. I don't see why they wouldn't, because you can't play games off of it (yet). I really don't see Nintendo making an external hard drive, but that's just my opinion
tongue.gif

Actually, this is not the optimal solution, seeing as many users would prefer not to have to purchase additional hardware.

They're more likely going to work out a way to reduce the size of VC titles and stream them.

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
farfet said:
wait, so could nintendo, with a firmware update, enable the wii to support sdhc?

Yes, but I doubt they would want to.

I dont know much about SD card formats or if SDHC would be possible, but thats good news.. my question is, if nintendo dont, with all the recent custom IOS goin on, is this something we could possible get hombrew or cIOS to do in the future or is that a complete different area?

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
tongue.gif

Actually, this is not the optimal solution, seeing as many users would prefer not to have to purchase additional hardware.

They're more likely going to work out a way to reduce the size of VC titles and stream them.

What? The VC titles (for the most part) aren't that large to begin with. If the hardware just needs the software update to support the bigger cards, then that's probably the easiest solution,they will just limit what can be run off of the card or something. Even though broadband is fairly common throughout the US, I think there would be a bit of an uproar if it needed you to redownload the titles everytime you played them. Maybe work similar to the Steam client for updates, but definately have an offline mode.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jesterscourt said:
What? The VC titles (for the most part) aren't that large to begin with. If the hardware just needs the software update to support the bigger cards, then that's probably the easiest solution,they will just limit what can be run off of the card or something. Even though broadband is fairly common throughout the US, I think there would be a bit of an uproar if it needed you to redownload the titles everytime you played them. Maybe work similar to the Steam client for updates, but definately have an offline mode.

Each VC title is quite larger than it would be if it were the rom alone.

At the very least, they should generalize the emulators and make the manuals available on the shop channel, like they do with WiiWare titles.

And I don't know where you get your facts, but broadband penetration in the US is about 15th in the world.

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
lostsoul5673 said:
Yeah, but some DS flashcarts have SDHC support, and if you want emulators use a DS, but the Wii is a better solution.

What the fuck was Nintendo thinking, they should have SDHC support!!!

they were thinking "our games don't fit on a 2 GB card, so people won't use sd cards to play isos someday".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum