Hacking Why is team Xecuter not sued by Nintendo?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
There are more crimes in the world than stealing code. (For example, going to your house and stealing your food)
if a burglar had the trouble to get in my house and ONLY steal food..
well, he probably was very hungry and desperate to do so and i wouldn't be mad...

btw, its not illegal to reverse engineer stuff, or to mod your devices...

however i recall something about being illegal to counter anti piracy systems, so that probably makes it illegal but i am not sure about if this is true..

funny how no one ever learned from PS3... it took ages to crack it down because it allowed people to run linux

Reactions: cearp

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No. I am saying you can open a coffee shop with a legally required operating permit for a catering establishment, and you could possibly sell cannabis with a drugs license because it is tolerated under government policy (read government advice), however if the government wanted to they could still arrest you for the sale of drugs, because it is illegal.
And i al telling you that version is badly translated and that the dutch version says it is legal under strict rules of regulation. You have to get a license which you can only aquire through legal means

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. I am saying you can open a coffee shop with a legally required operating permit for a catering establishment, and you could possibly sell cannabis with a drugs license because it is tolerated under government policy (read government advice), however if the government wanted to they could still arrest you for the sale of drugs, because it is illegal.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No, I used citations and facts to prove my point. The insult was just for emphasis.

If you say so.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Cool, using insults to prove a point, you must be a real thrill at parties.
to be fair, he only resorted to name calling because @kumikochan keeps on insisting on arguments that have already been proven false. Despite being refered multiple times to the fact that there's a difference between law (what is legal) and policy (what the government decides needs to be prosecuted).

Either way, though, this stuff is getting off topic, guys.

D

Deleted User

Illegal in the US and EU, elsewhere it's more complex.

Nintendo will go after the companies importing them, if they can identify shipments then they'll have them seized.

That is what they did for DS flashcarts. They sued lots of importers.
whats illegal? putting all your carts on one device to save space, and not having to take all the carts with you? because thats exactly what "backup loading" means
they dont give you illegal games. they give you means to store em
if anything, nintendo should sue the roms sites

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And i al telling you that version is badly translated and that the dutch version says it is legal under strict rules of regulation. You have to get a license which you can only aquire through legal means
It's not a translation smh, the law is the same whichever language it is written in and the law clearly states that it is illegal. Until you can prove the opposite, which you cannot, this argument is off topic and finished.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
to be fair, he only resorted to name calling because @kumikochan keeps on insisting on arguments that have already been proven false. Despite being refered multiple times to the fact that there's a difference between law (what is legal) and policy (what the government decides needs to be prosecuted).

And you People keep discussing what i am saying like that the dutch version States a whole different story, Then there's thé license thing that you have to get through legal means and so forth and there's alsof the fact that ur not even from around here and know Jack shit about how it goes here

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
whats illegal? putting all your carts on one device to save space, and not having to take all the carts with you? because thats exactly what "backup loading" means
they dont give you illegal games. they give you means to store em
if anything, nintendo should sue the roms sites
No. Unless the creator of the content has put in measures to prevent copying. In which case it is illegal in most european countries to facilitate soft- or hardware circumventing copyright protection. That is precisely why software like AnyDVD constantly needs to find a new country to sell their software from.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's not a translation smh, the law is the same whichever language it is written in and the law clearly states that it is illegal. Until you can prove the opposite, which you cannot, this argument is off topic and finished.
No it is not. English is pretty basic when it comes to dutch. Less grammar and less words

D

Deleted User

No. Unless the creator of the content has put in measures to prevent copying. In which case it is illegal in most european countries to facilitate soft- or hardware circumventing copyright protection. That is precisely why software like AnyDVD constantly needs to find a new country to sell their software from.
whats illegal in backing up your games? or blurays or whatever? they put something against it, and as long as I dont give it to others and use it for myself- why would it be illegal to decrypt?

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And you People keep discussing what i am saying like that the dutch version States a whole different story, Then there's thé license thing that you have to get through legal means and so forth and there's alsof the fact that ur not even from around here and know Jack shit about how it goes here
you are free to cite your sources. I am fairly confident I will be able to at least understand the gist of it seeing how closely related the german and dutch language are.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
you are free to cite your sources. I am fairly confident I will be able to at least understand the gist of it seeing how closely related the german and dutch language are.
They're not as similar like most People think. German is a Germanic language while dutch is a Germanic Latin language

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
whats illegal in backing up your games? or blurays or whatever? they put something against it, and as long as I dont give it to others and use it for myself- why would it be illegal to decrypt?
Again, facilitating soft- and hardware to circumvent copyright protection (that includes CSS keys for DVDs, keys used in the blueray protection and flashcards or software for gaming consoles to allow copying of copy protected content) is illegal in *most* european countries. It's civil law, though. It's not like the police will come after you if they see you have a flash card. Nitnendo might, though.

They're not as similar like most People think. German is a Germanic language while dutch is a Germanic Latin language
FFS, quote your sources. Until you do, I consider you to be wrong.

Last edited by Localhorst86,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Name calling is never justified, nor is it necessary to prove a point either and I'm pretty sure it's against the rules, but hey, if people want to resort to bullshit name-calling tactics, they can :rolleyes: I don't want people
to piss on my head and call it rain, you know?

Ignoring people is rude.

So is calling them out unnecessarily, but I digress.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Again, facilitating soft- and hardware to circumvent copyright protection (that includes CSS keys for DVDs, keys used in the blueray protection and flashcards or software for gaming consoles to allow copying of copy protected content) is illegal in *most* european countries. It's civil law, though.

FFS, quote your sources. Until you do, I consider you to be wrong.
I Will do so later on gladly when i am done working

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

It's illegal to sell/rent something that decrypts blurays, or tell people how to decrypt them. AnyDVD has been sued multiple times.

Some countries have format shifting laws that protect you from prosecution when backing up your bluray and converting it to mkv, others don't. In the UK it was illegal to even transfer cd's to your mp3 player until a few years ago. When the government introduced a law to allow it, the courts decided that the government had acted illegally. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...5-is-ripping-CDs-still-illegal-in-the-UK.html

Despite ripping CD's to always have been illegal in the UK, MP3 players have been openly sold in shops across the country for the best part of 2 decades. When you buy one, the police don't follow you home and arrest you.

The US has some pretty liberal fair use laws, but when the DMCA was brought in it contradicts and overrides the fair use rights. So you can back up your game, but you can't legally bypass the protection to play the game. It's not current government policy to arrest people who do it, they don't arrest people for downloading mp3's either.

The courts wouldn't look favourably on a prosecutor who bought someone before the court for backing up their own games.

So is calling them out unnecessarily, but I digress.

You asked a question where the answer was irrelevant and I pointed out why. That isn't calling you out.

Back to the drug topic. The government deciding to allow something doesn't make it legal (like the format shifting case in the UK proves). Therefore it's perfectly possible for the government to license an activity that is actually illegal. It sounds weird because we're brought up with black and white thinking. But if someone in the netherlands sued the government for failing to prosecute over people selling drugs, then they might stand a chance of winning.

Last edited by smf,

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We don't have to live somewhere to be able to critically evaluate a topic using primary governmental sources. For example, I probably know alot more about Bolshevik beurocracy and 20th century Soviet Russia than many Russians, yet I don't live in Russia.

We have shown you the law, as written by the Government of the Netherlands, and we have provided you with the sources. Something you have not done. So either back up your arguments with evidence or go away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one