Hacking Why I quit using Darkcorp

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VashTS said:
i thought i was one of a few that was not a fan of darkcorp. even as a noob i knew that installing all those ios's was a bad idea. it sounds cool but the options are there for replacement and the replacements are actually better.

however if someone wants a softmod that cannot be seen, darkcorp is the way to go. if someone asked me to hack their wii and they needed no evidence, and they were only using it for loading games (discs, wiiware and vc titles) then darkcorp it would be. for people who mess with stuff like me i would never install darkcorp on my wii. its not bad, just not for me.

Sneek is also an app that cannot be seen and is obviously less invasive than darkcorp. All you need to do is install bootmii (don't even need hbc), and prepare an sd card and a hard drive. If you want to use your "secret" softmod, just insert the sd card, plug in the hard drive and you're all set.

You also have the speed improvements of usb loading and it's very easy to use, just like darkcorp.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is a lot of alternative to Darkcorp,

1. You could use SNEEK.
2. Priiloader to force IOS249 disk loading.
3. Priiloader to load up a backup loader.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Darkcorp is easy to use and works with (nearly) every game. If you only want to play directly from disc channel without priiloader or sneek, it's the easiest thing you can use. I also have Darkcorp installed to test some games from the disc channel. Also the HBC 1.0.8 and all emulators are working fine with the darkcorp cIOS58.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
darkcorp is for dumb people who can't figure out USB-Loading, SNEEK, or NeoGamma... but dumb people deserve to play backups too!

While I would never use this app personally, I realize there is demand for a plug-and-play type solution like darkcorp. However, I think darkcorp demand is slowly dying, what with newer Wii's unable to play backup discs and older darkcorp users finally learning a thing or 2 about darkcorp alternatives.

That being said, I believe the more softmod options we have available to us, the better (except ones that create bricks... *cough* WiiSCU v0.21 *cough*).

For example... technically we don't need both wanin's and hermes cIOSs to use a USB-Loader... but why not have both? Someone will prefer one over the other, and some1 else will think the opposite. Neither of them are right or wrong, its just their personal preference. But the fact that we have multiple options makes the wii community that much more robust!

sparhawk110

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
darkcorp is for dumb people who can't figure out USB-Loading, SNEEK, or NeoGamma... but dumb people deserve to play backups too!

IMO best comment on this thread! Nailed it.

For me, there was a time I ALMOST loaded darkcorp, but I took the stance of hold off and learn first, and like many others realized that USB Loading and if you must, Neogamma was the way for me. I also believe in what I like to call "clean" modding. By that I mean a mod that leaves the Wii free to grow with the scene when new stuff comes out, without much risk in the new stuff breaking the old stuff so to speak. By that definition darkcorp is anything BUT "clean". Sure, if you know what your doing, you can get around darkcorp's quirks, or just uninstall it all together, but that in turn leads us back to the quoted comment from XFlak, darkcorp is most useful to those who do not learn the new stuff, and would not know how to install it anyway. And when they later decide to do just that, they run into problems and wonder why, then they come here looking for help.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
XFlak said:
great im dumb cuz i don't know how to use SNEEK
mellow.gif

still at least i have wiiflow for usb loading and honestly i don't think it's hard to set up either,i also have priiloader to autoboot wiiflow.

(you only need to get used to the ui and the functions and thats it.) and usb is faster and quieter.
yaywii.gif

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Dter ic said:
XFlak said:
great im dumb cuz i don't know how to use SNEEK
mellow.gif
Notice the "or", meaning u are dumb if you can't figure out any of the 3 (which is still a little harsh to say, but w/e, its prolly true). So you don't fall into my dumb category
biggrin.gif

Also, anyone can get sneek working very easily using NUSAD
biggrin.gif

s3phir0th115

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can also say sneek/uneek is a pretty nice usb loading replacement. Though I wouldn't say it replaces cIOS usb loading completely yet, as I still have issues trying to use it with my usb hard drive enclosure.

Though, with a properly working setup, it'd easily beat Darkcorp. There is absolutely no need for patched IOSes when you're in sneek.

sparhawk110

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a good SNEEK info/tutorial, im still iffy on this. What more does it give me that USB loading cant. Is it just better for some titles? I'm not using SNEEK yet, and im not sure that I need/want to, b/c i dont have enough info on the subject.

Teton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
What do you think about people who dont have usb hard drive to use for their wii ?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Teton said:
XFlak said:
What do you think about people who dont have usb hard drive to use for their wii ?
NeoGamma doesn't need a hard drive to play backup discs, and I believe I listed that
tongue.gif

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
I see DarkCorp as a soft-mod replacement for a modchip and nothing else. I have a friend with a modchip and all I'll say that hasn't already been said is this. He has a huge binder full of discs that must weigh 8 pounds or more, plus having to search through them to find the game you want. I have a USB drive the size of my wallet and WiiFlow installed to it so I carry not only my games, but my coverart and settings, along with my emulators and ROMs for about 6 other consoles all with me in my pocket. Plus, no coasters.

Teton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
Teton said:
XFlak said:
I think NeoGamma would still work, what do u think?
Agreed,but i'd rather launch from my disc channel
ohmy.gif

Neogamma forces ios 249 ?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Teton said:
XFlak said:
Teton said:
XFlak said:
ohmy.gif

It sounds like darkcorp is right for u, and there is no shame in that.

Yes, Neogamma is launched using IOS249, it can be recompiled to launch using a different IOS if u want to go through all the effort. Who knows, maybe eventually neogamma will have an IOS selector

s3phir0th115

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Teton said:
XFlak said:
Teton said:
XFlak said:
ohmy.gif

You can install a forwarder and use an autoboot mod. If you use priiloader or startpatch to let you move the disc channel, you can essentially replicate disc channel loading with no changes in IOSes you use.

Teton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
Teton said:
XFlak said:
Teton said:
XFlak said:
ohmy.gif

It sounds like darkcorp is right for u, and there is no shame in that.

Yes, Neogamma is launched using IOS249, it can be recompiled to launch using a different IOS if u want to go through all the effort. Who knows, maybe eventually neogamma will have an IOS selector

i'm was a darkcorp user then i get a HDD
biggrin.gif
i didnt know neogamma when i installed darkcorp so

leondmsmith

Trophies
XP
Country
Darkcorp simply enables piracy for the masses, people don't want to mess around hacking and learning, they just want to be able to stick a paid for / downloaded burnt game into their newly (paid for) hacked to play backup console, with no homebrew channel on their either, because they dont care about that. It looks like it should, it behaves like it should but it plays backups, it is the perfect system for these people.

They don't want anything else apart from to stick a disc in, this is the legacy of dark/cioscorp.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have installed and uninstalled darkcorp for testing purposes, it has always worked without issue. I don't have many disks to test but it seems to do what is says it does and I have not noticed any issue to other apps. Currently v1.1 is installed and wiimc is running without issue.

I like having the system ios and ios36 dip patched, this allows disk recovery from RM if ever needed without a modchip. Not that it should ever be needed, but people do many stupid things putting them in such a position. I have never had any issue with this setup, and have not heard of any issues from others.

Many people complain about what ios are installed, and which are installed during the uninstall. Darkcorp is compatible with all wiis running any system menu and the versions used prevent many stupid brick types.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
cIOScorp was originally created to (and only to) load discs thru the DiscChannel, but no deve was involved with the process on making it, so no one really cared about compatibility and/or issues on other channels/apps, and that is all I have to say about that (this..??)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz: some of the best selling games on the switch are wii u ports (that are priced way too high like...