Why does Rick and Morty have such an inconsistent schedule?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by RemixDeluxe, Apr 22, 2017.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I understand how something of quality value takes time to develop but I think this show is an exception to the rule. From Season 1 to Season 2 is a whole year apart. Slightly annoying but not terrible. But from Season 2 to 3 is 2 years apart and considering how many episodes are in a single season (1&2 had 10 each) I'm wondering what they are doing with their time if not creating episodes for this show. Does it truly take 2 years to create 10 whole episodes for a single season?

It makes me wonder how the likes like The Simpson's, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, Regular Show, etc does it and they can churn out much more content in less amount of time and of roughly the same quality.

I'm at a loss at how this show gets away with it. It reminds me of Drawn Together and I recall that show getting cancelled because the writers couldn't produce fast enough to the Networks standards.

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Shows like American Dad are mostly filler with light chuckles and cheap laughs. You can't rush the comedic genius that is Rick and Morty.

3. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    It seems like the show is popular enough that the network will give the creators that kind of leeway.

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Oh, and Rick and Morty doesn't use manatee writers.

OfficialBrony and RemixDeluxe like this.
  5. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    it takes 6 months to make a episode of the simpsons (the norm for animated shows) the only real exception is south park who can pump one out in a week

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  6. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    While I do share some partial agreement, what about say South Park which has high production value but is also produced relatively fast?

Regardless you have to also understand in some sense it is not uncommon as there are a few other shows that share that characteristic in terms of production time.

RemixDeluxe likes this.
  7. jimbo13

jimbo13 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2012
    United States
    South Parks animation isn't hand drawn like Simpsons & Rick and Morty, the animation style has a lot to do with the turn around. Another big part of the equation is South Park is a non union show, Simpsons is a union show. Lot of staff has to remain in the process, they couldn't streamline if they wanted too.

But Animated shows usually have an awkward inconsistent schedule.

BORTZ likes this.
  8. smf

smf GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    No. According to wikipedia: "In January 2014, the series was renewed for a second season which premiered on July 26, 2015."

Although that doesn't tell you when the episodes were finished and delivered, they may have been delayed until the schedule opened up.

9. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Season 3 is supposed to be twice as long as season one and two, so maybe that's why.

10. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    when the siimpsons went hd everything except story boards were digital and all coloring and animation goes overseas.

11. jimbo13

jimbo13 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2012
    United States
    By hand drawn I mean it is still Stylus-to-input either Wacom or monitor frame by frame, yes they use computer assisted animation but South park uses an asset bank of pre-configured models.

No comparison in the turn around time of using cut-out vs cels, Rick & Morty is cel animation too.