Why does my Windows wear off over time?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by test84, Nov 18, 2007.

Nov 18, 2007
  1. test84
    OP

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    Hi,
    Whats with windows? i'm not that noob at windows and i know they decay over time but its getting so bad since i dont install more programs and my system shows that i have free RAM still, my HDD works a ton and its obvious that my performance decreases alot.

why is that? tested with spyware and viruses already.

and it was same softwares that i installed on first day and performance was great, but now, its like shit.

its a Centrino Core Duo 1.6, 512mg ram, win xp sp2 (it was SP1, i updated to SP2)

2. .::5pYd3r::.

Member .::5pYd3r::. Viva La Pizza

Australia
    that used to happen to me a lot, but now i have ubuntu and i dont get that at all [​IMG]

3. delta123

Member delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    you need to defrag your computer to keep it running up to speed. even if you are keeping similar programs to when you first install. what happens is that when you add deltete files off the computer. you start creating blocks of empty space ever where, so when you write new data on the computer instead of having a block that fits the whole program on, it writes it everywhere it can find empty space. what defragging the computer does is put the blocks in order to allow a faster read time. (it might save you some extra space if your lucky)

4. .::5pYd3r::.

Member .::5pYd3r::. Viva La Pizza

Australia
    if only windows used ext3, then there would be hardly need to defrag

5. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    Yah like everyone said defrag. I use Diskeeper 2008.

It's awesome, whenever i analyze my hdd's i never see any red bars (fragmented files). My computers speed and performance has increased so much. Google for more details and stuff.

6. jtroye32

Member jtroye32 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    defrag and make sure you don't have a bunch of unnecessary background processes running. they will be set in your registry to run when you boot up windows and can slow the boot process and your computer down to a crawl. bring up your task manager and sort through the processes and google the ones you are unsure about to see what they do. if you don't need them end the process and use a Registry cleaner like Hijack this to remove them from starting up.

7. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    If you want a freeware, WORKING defragmenter, get power defragmenter GUI and contig.exe
    Works like a charm on five-year-old computers!
    EDIT : of course, reinstalling, or switching isn't an option, huh?

8. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Defrag and use CCleaner. Great program, it clears unnedded data and gives you more space.

9. test84
    OP

Iran
    thnx for replies.
    got CCleaner and used it, used widndow's defrag on drive C.
    but still when i want to open a file from C partition, it takes alot of time.
    and i dont feel any performance improvement.

i can re install windows, but i'm after a way to prevent it or fix this situation to a stable degree to postpone re installing it. (and linux is not an option)

10. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Bi yearly clean installs keep the doctor away

11. smallkidd

Member smallkidd GBAtemp Regular

United States
    get 1gb and it will be better, adding a 512 is only like 30 bucks

12. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    do a fresh install of your os, add all the progs you want, then make an image of your system and back that up - then all you have to do is apply that image everytime you need to start a fresh

13. Infinitus

Member Infinitus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a ME laptop whose hard drive did not want to work, gave it some "Physical Therapy" (letting the drive settle into a low-use state (gradual biological-like healing? I dunno....)) and was one of my best servers until my dad needed it for work. Ah, well.

14. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    The windows defragging they have is shit, it deosnt really do anything that increases performance. As i said above google for a different program that defrags. Or maybe you could have some sort of trojan/virus thats chewing up your CPU/RAM. I find XP runs a lot better with 1GB of ram aswell and you can upgrade for fairly cheap aswell well depends on your ram whether its DR, SD, DDR 1,2 or 3.

15. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    Viruses/spyware and also the more you install the more that has to be loaded at the start of windows and that will over all slow the machine, to fix make sure you do not have a bunch of unneeded junk at start up or the best option is reformat after backing everything up. I usually do a fresh install of windows every few months to keep it clean and running fresh.

16. noamkot

Newcomer noamkot Advanced Member

Israel
    As others have said here, 512mb is not enough RAM for a normal installation of XP with some modern software.
    The result is that XP uses HD space regularly as virtual memory and that's why the HD seems to work extra time, drastically slowing performance.
    You might have a defrag problem as well but the amount of performance increase gained from defrag is not as significant as buying more RAM.

17. test84
    OP

Iran
    already done 'em as posted earlier.
    there is nothing running on my PC, as a proof if i install windows again and use same utilities, its performance will go up so much.
    buying ram is not an option for me.

diskeeper is 25mg and i cant download it.

any other options?

the problem is excessive usage of hard disk, my hard disk is constantly working when i want open a JPG or XLS file.

18. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    If you really want a more stable system (with the amount of ram you have) I suggest windows 2000. But then there are a few programs that will not work. If I think of something else that could be of use I will let you know.

My mind isnt working right now as im watching Dexter.

19. test84
    OP

Iran
    thnx but i'm after fixing this XP.

20. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    My laptop was running extremely poorly and I got tons of blue scrrens of death. I bought it a new HDD and reinstalled XP. It ran like a dream! For a week or two that was... I wanted to upgrade from 256mb ram to 512mb more but the stupid ram I bought from Crucial slowed down my laptop big time! So I'm still running on 256mb and am gonna upgrade with real ram soon. Hopefully I'll be able to run Windows Live and my anti-virus w/o slowdowns.