Hardware Why does my wii look so bad on my tv?

paul3100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all

Is it me or does everyone struggle to read some text displayed by the wii and also finding the screen generaly blury?

I am using the supplied leeds connected directly to my 40" lcd tv and tbh it looks terrible!

So what options do i have other than what comes with the wii to connect to my tv ?

cheers , paul

paul3100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
try disconnecting and reconnecting everything
send it to nintendo if you still have your warranty

So its just me then!

I would love to send it to N if (A) i thought for sure it was at fault and (B) i could be sure N didn't take off all my homebrew stuff and give me a systems update ie 4.0.

thanks for the answering edge199715

paul

Magoo222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I had a similar problem when I first got my Wii, seeing "shadows" around the boxes on the Wii menu, blurred text on subtitles etc. Unfortunately my solution was to get an HD cable and use that. If that's an option for you I'd really recommend it, it completely cleaned up the picture for me. If not, you can get gold plated RGB-Scart Leads for the Wii, you might want to try one of those as they're meant to give a better picture quality. You can probably find them on Amazon, or just Google for them if not.

bootmonster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason why the picture is so bad is that the supplied leads are the absolute bottom end of the scale. Also, on a 40" TV it's hardly suprising, considering how much the image is being stretched. Try connecting up any of your old consoles and you'll see what I mean.

You NEED to buy the component cables for your Wii. A wee bit pricey but definately worth it mate.

I would recommend the official one but third party cables are a bit cheaper, if not quite as good quality.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
get component cables or do what i did buy a component to hdmi converter. best $ i ever spent..oh but you need the component cables too
tongue.gif

BinFairy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had the same problem when I took my wii to my gf's place.

As soon as I hoked it up to her HDTV, the picture went all crappy and we couldnt read the lyrics on Rock band.

Try going to Wii Settings and changing the Refresh rate (ie. from 50Hz to 60Hz or the other way round)

See if that works before rushing out to buy new leads =]

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've got an hdtv, you definitely want to pick up component cables. Everything will look MUCH better... also, you'll be able to run at 480p which is impossible with the supplied RGB cables. Also, If you notice that your Wii has any lag at all (between your actions and what happens onscreen) it's because your tv takes a moment to scale the image... this problem will also go away (or be greatly diminished) with component cables. Hell, everything looks more crisp with components even on a regular CRT tv with component inputs, even if it doesn't have 480p support. Component cables all the way.....

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta get those component cables. I remember how bad it looked when I first got it, when I couldn't find component cables anywhere. Buy them, you won't regret it. Also, gamecube games look way better with them because of "progressive scan" in the majority of the games. Seriously, find some component cables.

justmike

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Maybe someone can answer this question for me or have any idea.

I have connected my Wii to a 32 inch LCD TV with official Nintendo component cables and audio is via surround sound.

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I get random white line appear on screen only for a blink of a second. It could be anywhere on screen, it is like a spark of white line that randomly generate while playing a game.

Could this be due to interference or anything of the like air con, or kitchen appliance? Maybe surround sound too close? Sometimes when I play, it doesn't happen at all, other times it does.

I noticed that when I change the Wii TV resolution from HDTV it doesn't do it anymore. Could this be the LCD TV then?

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Go into your Wii Settings and confirm that you have setup your display for widescreen, and I seem to remember another setting indicating wether you had a SD or LCD/Plasma tv, try that.

justmike

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah, I even made sure my settings were spot on. I first used third party component cables to see if that was the problem, it wasn't.

It only happens when it is at the highest TV resolution setting. If AV cables are used or the middle setting, it doesn't do it.

danih

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
And what about "shadows"? I use component cables (aftermarket), and sometimes, when there are high-contrast lines (contours) on the screen they seem to reappear much blurred next to the original line (this happens rarely, the contrast between edges has to be really high to be able to notice this. latest example is FIFA10: when displaying club logos on white surfaces this effect is very distinct)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land