Gaming Why do so many people like FF and DQ so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could say the exact same thing about all games:

Why do people like GTA?
Why do people like Mario 3?
Why do people like Doom?

You can make an identical topic asking why people like Mario games since they are so outdated with shallow gameplay and there are better games. Your word is not law, sorry to disappoint you. What you consider a better game is not what everyone else thinks.

It's not anyone else's fault that you don't like a game. It is also completely unfair to question their reasons for liking a game when it has nothing to do with your tastes. I don't like Grand Theft Auto, but I don't think it is a bad game or question why people like it. It is not along my tastes in games, that it. People can like whatever they want and should have the right to like a game without someone trying to question their tastes.

You're going to have to learn to accept that a game can be good even if you don't like it. You can't attack a majority of people based on your own tastes. You can however, ignore what everyone else likes and just play what you enjoy. That's the key thing to do. If you don't like a game, don't play it. Don't discredit people or complain to them to try to convince them not to like a game. You play games you enjoy, we'll play games we enjoy. Don't rant on someone else's tastes in gaming.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
MyauChanDesu said:
It's probably because FF and DQ series' genre is RPG which large percentage of gamers love.
This! It's RPG, even more, it's old school RPG, and I prefer that over anything else!! I love turn based battle....I actually don't like RPGs with Real Time battle, I like having an random encounters with enemies and switching to battle screen, and then planning my moves..

It just matter of taste, FF and DQ are one of my favorite serials ever..I was so sad when I saw that DQ IX will have Real time battle instead of Turn based.....But then, they changed it later! and I love it!

I really can't understand term "outdated" with games....Why would turn based system be outdated and Real time battle wouldn't, when I simply prefer Turn based, and I actually dislike Real time battle..
Funny, but Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles never appealed to me, and people seem to like it much more than original FF's or even Tactics!

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think people really like the CC series MORE than the others. It's just a nice little multiplayer series, which is a big thing these days.

I've always been a single player gamer. I just recently got into multiplayer with DS wifi (having gotten my router). With wifi, CC Echoes is one of the best multiplayer games on DS. Without it, the game score several solid points lower.

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You want to know why people like the DQ and FF DS ports?
Because it's something they know they like, now on a new system. Sure, it's outdated and shallow, but that's only to be expected of a port of a shallow and outdated gamehttp://looking at you here, Chrono Trigger.

However, people liked these games, and they'll like them again on the DS.
Ports aren't meant for people who want something new, they're meant for those who want to have something they used to have on a new system.

Toni Plutonij said:
I really can't understand term "outdated" with games....Why would turn based system be outdated and Real time battle wouldn't, when I simply prefer Turn based, and I actually dislike Real time battle..
Funny, but Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles never appealed to me, and people seem to like it much more than original FF's or even Tactics!

Outdated, because the turn based battle system has been around for a LONG LONG time with hardly any change to it. Mostly the options are FIGHT MAGIC RUN ITEM, with maybe some others thrown it nobody uses.
I don't like turn based rpgs. I've seen too many of them, and I've played too many of them. Combined with random encounters in fixed-enemy-level areas it just RUINS pacing; walkwalkwalkENEMYENCOUNTER. Oh great. 6 large fieldmice who are 50 levels below my party, now I have to go through this combat so I can walk to where I want to be.
Turn based RPGs depend on the game itself; FF and DQ do it "okay", but BORING. However, I REALLY like the way Phantasy Star 4's turn based battle system worked.
Real-time combat is more about direct input. Not that it matters. Real-time; walk over to enemy, apply weapon to face. Turn-based; choose fight, watch character apply weapon to face. Both cases; repeat 20000x times, YOU WIN CONGRATULATIONS.

Now if you'll excuse me, I seem to have developed a burning urge to play some Summon Night; Swordcraft Story.

ACQ

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nostalgia plays a big factor in the appeal of these games. I completed the original Dragon Warrior in the late 80s and the memories of it are still fresh in my mind 20 years later. I completed the original Final Fantasy after that, which was one of the most absurdly grinding games I've ever played, but well-worth it. These out-dated ports you see today are in my mind an homage to the originals.

misanthrope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
-The turn based system has nothing to do with the complexity of the battle system. Turn based RPGs go from extremely primitive to extremely ( and borderline unnecessary ) complicated like FF8.

-Most modern RPGs today would not exist if it was not for the massive success of games like Final Fantasy IV that basically defined tons of modern RPG conventions that are still used ( and even work ) on modern games.

-Nobuo Uematsu - Some of his scores are so notable its a point on its own really.

-Most games, specially dragon quest games, have over 3 or 4 more times more gameplay and replay value than most modern games and this is specially true for the DS when you have 100000 games about freaking horses. The DS literally gets away with selling Flash games at full retail price.

-There is a very good argument for this ports here:
http://www.destructoid.com/new-rule-every-...le-125833.phtml
If you are too lazy to read its basically this: the old formula of linear story and level grinding becomes much more approachable on a portable console like the DS when you can just cheap away a few battles at the time between meetings or while on the road.

-This games have a lot of audience and its about time Square realizes this, I dare to say they are a driving force behind some emulation efforts: one of the first japan-only games to be translated was Final Fantasy V. If there is people willing to go to such extends to replay this games then Square should be smart enough to provide with remakes

-Go take a look at ebay for a brand new, sealed copy of Chrono Trigger. This is the first time that I actually get to have a physical copy of Chrono Trigger. The game was not that rare or on a very limited run, it was just that successful.

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ACQ said:
Nostalgia plays a big factor in the appeal of these games. I completed the original Dragon Warrior in the late 80s and the memories of it are still fresh in my mind 20 years later. I completed the original Final Fantasy after that, which was one of the most absurdly grinding games I've ever played, but well-worth it. These out-dated ports you see today are in my mind an homage to the originals.

But is this really what the people want to play today? I tried DQ and never liked it because I thought at every corner, that the devs were deliberately trying to make the game as hard as possible and make it as inaccesible to new players as possible. Why so much grinding? Why do I have to always run in the town to save? Thats outdated, and not only applies to DQ but also to FF III etc. And since there are nearly no improvements, you can aswell play the original.

ACQ

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
redfalcon said:
ACQ said:

But is this really what the people want to play today? I tried DQ and never liked it because I thought at every corner, that the devs were deliberately trying to make the game as hard as possible and make it as inaccesible to new players as possible. Why so much grinding? Why do I have to always run in the town to save? Thats outdated, and not only applies to DQ but also to FF III etc. And since there are nearly no improvements, you can aswell play the original.

Fateastray was right on the money with his short and to-the-point comment. These games are ported and modernized for the NDS because there is a market for them. One thing I can say for certain is that I won't trust an NES cartridge's battery to store my new Dragon Warrior save games (assuming I don't change the battery). Not to mention that both of my original NES consoles are on the fritz. It's simply more practical to re-release these games onto modern consoles.

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Why love FF and DQ still to this day? It's because they did those games right. They didn't need some stupid gimmick, nor do they even need updated graphics. They told great stories, and had challenging gameplay. They were fun.

Those series have been around for so long because they do what they do very well. You want to wonder why people like a game? Ask about Twewy. I still can't understand peoples love for that piece of shit.

MyauChanDesu

Kamineko is GOD.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Toni Plutonij said:
MyauChanDesu said:
It's probably because FF and DQ series' genre is RPG which large percentage of gamers love.
This! It's RPG, even more, it's old school RPG, and I prefer that over anything else!! I love turn based battle....I actually don't like RPGs with Real Time battle, I like having an random encounters with enemies and switching to battle screen, and then planning my moves..

It just matter of taste, FF and DQ are one of my favorite serials ever..I was so sad when I saw that DQ IX will have Real time battle instead of Turn based.....But then, they changed it later! and I love it!

I agree with this!

Final Fantasy Tactics for me, is one of the best games ever made.

I don't like Crystal Chronicles too, I play it just because my cousins keep nagging me to play with them.

I just love FFT being a Tactical RPG *which is my love* and the storyline and... and... everything else in it.. *drools*

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The answer to this is pretty simple; some people like RPG's. I USED to like RPG's but I burnt myself out on them way back in the C64 days.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
fateastray said:
The people who like the game, are the target audience. You, clearly, are not.
This, no other explanation is better than this, mentally speaking, as no counter-argument is available for such a statement

You, sir, have posted the statement of the day, very well done
yay.gif

Speaking of why people love RPG, usually it's because of the gameplay and the story (the real emphasis for me, I hate grinding levels), especially for JRPG like FF
that said, graphics is not important. Heck, I love the 2D presentation of FFIv better than the 3D, feels downright not right

manoelpdb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
coz they are good games and people likes good games.
where's the problem there o___o' ?

gamadaya

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lol, I can't stand most turn based JRPGs. It's like playing an interactive menu on a dvd for me. The only FF game I liked was IV, but that was because it was the first one I played. I have a friend who loves JRPGs (or at least used to, maybe not as much anymore). He says that he likes the stories and that he likes collecting things, and even the grinding. I couldn't comprehend how he liked grinding, but my other friend told him "Yeah, but that's just because you like to see your number incriment." I laughed so hard at that. I think that pretty much sums up games like FF for me. You train a lot, and your number increments. If that's the sort of thing that excites you, then I can see why you'd love FF and DQ. It's not my kettle of fish though.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
gamadaya said:
lol, I can't stand most turn based JRPGs. It's like playing an interactive menu on a dvd for me. The only FF game I liked was IV, but that was because it was the first one I played. I have a friend who loves JRPGs (or at least used to, maybe not as much anymore). He says that he likes the stories and that he likes collecting things, and even the grinding. I couldn't comprehend how he liked grinding, but my other friend told him "Yeah, but that's just because you like to see your number incriment." I laughed so hard at that. I think that pretty much sums up games like FF for me. You train a lot, and your number increments. If that's the sort of thing that excites you, then I can see why you'd love FF and DQ. It's not my kettle of fish though.
This is what I like about RPGs
tongue.gif
, and that's why I simply LOVE FF and DQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock