Hacking Why do people still insist on sticking with Gateway?

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No bashing here. I simply am hoping to hear what reasons there are if any would someone stick with it. I've never owned any 3DS flashcarts, only owned flashcarts for the DS generation since custom firmware wasnt really an option at the time.

The one and only benefit I can think of why people would stay with Gateway is because of its ease of use. I never used a Gateway flashcart but I would imagine its as simple as sticking the 3DS roms into the microSD, into the flashcart and just playing your games right away where someone with just a 3DS has to follow a 30+ min guide on installing arm9loader+Luma3DS to be set up.

The only other reasoning I can think of is the sunk cost theory in which the user insists on sticking with their purchase in order to feel like they gotten their monies worth.
The RxTools Motto: ''If it ain't broken don't fix it™.''

Reactions: GerbilSoft

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the reason it doesn't is because you updated to 11.3. This isn't an attack mind you, but to me there was no compelling reason to do that and a lot of reasons to not (11.3 broke so many 'sploits and other things). If I may ask why did you update and were you unaware that you would lose GW functionality when you did? Genuine question, I'm curious much like the OP, why did you give up GW usage for 11.3? And why are still on 11.3 instead of on 11.4... Or does your sig need updating?

Good point.

I updated for the ability to play multiplayer which requires NNID and access to eShop.

Figuring how well things were being updated and maintained for A9LH/Luma, I assumed GW would just follow suit. However, that didn't happen.

No, I am not on 11.4. Too many broken sploits. Better to wait.

I can just downgrade back to 11.2 since I'm on A9LH/Luma, can I not?

So in some ways, it really didn't matter if it worked or not, I still have the option to revert.

At this point, I might actually do so. Since I see no reason to update to 11.4, might as well enjoy my game carts while I wait.

Multiplayer. Especially things like SSB and PKMN. Anything that requires NNID.

Hopefully this helps.

I think you're on to something...

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good point.

I updated for the ability to play multiplayer which requires NNID and access to eShop.

Figuring how well things were being updated and maintained for A9LH/Luma, I assumed GW would just follow suit. However, that didn't happen.

No, I am not on 11.4. Too many broken sploits. Better to wait.

I can just downgrade back to 11.2 since I'm on A9LH/Luma, can I not?

So in some ways, it really didn't matter if it worked or not, I still have the option to revert.

At this point, I might actually do so. Since I see no reason to update to 11.4, might as well enjoy my game carts while I wait.

Multiplayer. Especially things like SSB and PKMN. Anything that requires NNID.

Hopefully this helps.

I think you're on to something...

I see, I actually rarely do on line play w/ my 3DS and sorry it's human nature to look at things from one's own perspective first. On-line wasn't a very compelling reason for me, so I over looked that it might be for someone else. Thanks for clearing that up. Any reason you couldn't use HTTPwn instead of updating?

I can see your point w/ GW, I mean, they have their painfully slow to update periods, as any GW user knows, but recently they had been fairly quick to release fixes for system up dates up until 11.3. Initially I expected a fairly quick 11.3 patch like there had been before w/ the previous few FW updates. Of course as soon as I read all the broken exploits (some of them critical to GW's entry method FWIU) I became a bit more concerned but I figured I'd wait and see what happens.

Then the stupid "As indicated before, we are working really hard to release as soon as possible our new major update that will once again revolutionize the (N)3DS scene. As it is now getting very close, we might have to delay the Emunand latest Nintendo firmware support." announcement came and to be honest my concern turned to a bit of doom and gloom. "Oh dear god, "SOON!!" 11.3 broke too much and this new feature is a cover up for the time it's going to take them to rebuild from scratch or some shit and is going to take for ever. This revolutionary new feature had better be worth it." For the most part, it has been in the past, but I digress...

I haven't looked into downgrading to 11.2 as that's what my firmware is, but I think in your situation you can w/ a NAND backup of said FW or possibly transfer your 11.2 EmuNAND over if you have it. Someone who knows better, feel free to correct me. If I were in your situation, I'd research it more and if possible do the downgrade (obviously). That's not advice mind you, just what I would do. I rather like being able to use my GW alongside Luma and being on 11.2 hasn't been a problem for me at all. Worst case for you is to wait for Sighax, there is pretty much no question it will allow you to downgrade if that's the path you want to take and GW hasn't released a 11.3/11.4 fix by then.

I'm sure there are plenty of GW users using something like Menuhax, but there are plenty of us who are in my situation as well (e.g. have A9LH installed and chain load GW from Luma). No one has been able to tell me what I'm missing out on that they can have running Luma and 11.4 that I can't on Luma/GW and 11.2. I'm going to need a better reason than "stability" to change my situation. Apparently, some feel the need to attack one for this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: