Why do people get so triggered about introducing LGBT characters into movies?

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you tolerant with Nazi ideology? There is nothing wrong with teaching kids what's wrong with certain aspects of the world based on your own values and ideology, and which side of the fence to stand on.
Nazi ideas were to kill all minorities in the most horrific and sufferable ways imaginable. Totally different than accepting that fact of two dudes fucking.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why everyone is so convinced that the diversity is "forced." I mean, there are a lot of obvious examples of that being the case (and the characters tend to be flat and boring because of it), but that's definitely not ALWAYS the case, and having a diverse cast with the right writer/directer can improve a movie beyond what having an all straight/white cast would

Reactions: dpad_5678

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

The GBATemp Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted User

its because they force it in when its not called for. Its like when wiimote motion controls are forced on the user. Same thing like forcing the motion controls in star fox Zero. lgbt characters should only be there if the cast calls for it, not just because noobs demand it.
To add to this, sexuality in general should be left up to the audience if the plot will not benefit from the explanation of it. It is perfectly fine not to tell people if a character is gay or straight, just let them believe what they want to. I was walking in a store a few days (weeks?) ago when I overheard a lady saying how sometimes she just forgets that some people are straight and assumes everyone is gay. Well, everyone just assume the sexuality. Half the time the sex scenes are there just to sell the show.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't forgetting people are straight and assuming everyone is gay delusional?

I wouldn't know about being gay but isn't it correct to assume people are straight because they almost always are? Isn't gaydar a thing?

Hetero sex scenes sell the show unless your targeting a niche audience. Isn't that a fact?

Last edited by blaisedinsd,
Reactions: DarthDub

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a difference between writing a character who happens to be LGBT or a minority and creating a gay character judt to have a gay character.

One of the annoying things about Elder Scrolls Online (which I play regularly) is the amount and portrayal of gay couples in quests. There are a lot of quests involving gay couples who are clearly intended to be more caring than a lot of the straight couples in quests. The problem is that the developers are clearly including them as a publicity move to appear progressive. It's incredibly disproportionate and unnatural, not to mention just insulting. Writing characters (even minor ones) that way just makes it look like they're trying to make gay couples more caring to say "look how caring and accepting we are, please give us more money".
Why can't a character be gay "just because"?... I almost think it's worse if the role "requires" them to be gay, unless the show/movie is quite literally about the contrast between queer and straight people
Because that borders on bad writing. It's fine to have a gay character but don't make it "just because" for the sake of diversity. If it doesn't have anything to do with the story and they don't have any sort of love interest their sexuality doesn't matter. Unless a character has/had a love interest there's no reason for us to be shown that they're gay, straight, or whatever. I will say that I do think that it's a little less annoying if a character is straight for no reason if only because that won't come up a lot. I doubt anybody is just going to come out of the blue and say "Oh god I love women. They're so hot blah blah blah".

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't being straight slightly needed for people to sort of be here......you do understand the birds and the bees as they put it right? In no way does the English language when used properly apply the label of abnormal to being straight. It's not scientifically correct usage either. It doesn't even make any sort of legitimate joke to call being straight abnormal either.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is nothing wrong by including LBGT characters into movies and series. As there never was with blacks or asians.

The problem starts, when the character is forced into the show, just for the sake of diversity. Just like with older movies, where the cast is white, but there is one black character (mostly killed of first in horrors), so the critics shut up.

One example: there is nothing wrong if somebody includes a gay character in a movie. Show his sexuality. But if every time he has screen time he has to flount it to the viewers, unnaturally, like he is "special" for his sexuality, not for his abilities or talents, it's unnatural.

There is difference between natural diversity and forced diversity.
I think that Sailor Moon pulled this off well with Sailor Uranus and Neptune. Both characters are unique but in a sense of them being well fleshed out as characters. They aren't special because of their love for each other, rather they are special for their motives which I will not spoil. They weren't introduced as LGBTQ bait, rather because everyone likes unique characters and that caused conflict between the Inner and Outer Sailor Senshi until they finally found a common ground which produced the holy Grail and allowed Sailor Moon to transform into Super Sailor Moon for the first time.

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that adding an LGBT character into something JUST to have an LGBT character is dumb as hell, but let's be honest: If a future blockbuster film, such as, I don't know, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, had fifty percent of it's characters gay (and their sexuality was implicitly mentioned and not overly discussed) conservatives would STILL go nuts and try to take down the film's rep.

The truth is the right starts to feel threatened, because at one point, being gay was a social sin and now large-score movies include gay characters like it's nothing. They're realizing that their attempts at oppression have failed and they can never topple the LGBT community.

Isn't being straight slightly needed for people to sort of be here......you do understand the birds and the bees as they put it right? In no way does the English language when used properly apply the label of abnormal to being straight. It's not scientifically correct usage either. It doesn't even make any sort of legitimate joke to call being straight abnormal either.
Thank you for proving my point. Being straight is just as abnormal as being gay, ie it's NOT abnormal at all.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I understand that adding an LGBT character into something JUST to have an LGBT character is dumb as hell, but let's be honest: If a future blockbuster film, such as, I don't know, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, had fifty percent of it's characters gay (and their sexuality was implicitly mentioned and not overly discussed) conservatives would STILL go nuts and try to take down the film's rep.

The truth is the right starts to feel threatened, because at one point, being gay was a social sin and now large-score movies include gay characters like it's nothing. They're realizing that their attempts at oppression have failed and they can never topple the LGBT community.

Thank you for proving my point. Being straight is just as abnormal as being gay, ie it's NOT abnormal at all.
But that still creates an issue of it being very disproportionate. It begs the question of why there would be so many gay characters put in. Most people are straight so if there are as many gay people in focus it does become abnormal. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with being gay, but it's very unrealistic and that can be bothersome for it's own reasons.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But that still creates an issue of it being very disproportionate. It begs the question of why there would be so many gay characters put in. Most people are straight so if there are as many gay people in focus it does become abnormal. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with being gay, but it's very unrealistic and that can be bothersome for it's own reasons.
Usually if there's one gay person in a friend group, there will be a lot of gay people. They tend to flock to each other because of shared experience, from what I understand from my friends. It's entirely realistic to have a plethora of queer characters, just because densities of the population tend to vary

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Usually if there's one gay person in a friend group, there will be a lot of gay people. They tend to flock to each other because of shared experience, from what I understand from my friends. It's entirely realistic to have a plethora of queer characters, just because densities of the population tend to vary
That would make sense in the case of something like a sitcom or drama, something actually representative of regular activities and I think that's fine. But we're talking about much more exaggerated fiction here. I mean more in a broader sense of population. If half of the characters in something are gay and they don't have a preexisting relationship and they all just happen to come together becomes a little less realistic. If a bunch of characters from different backgrounds come together and a half or most of them are gay then it might seem a little disproportionate.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would make sense in the case of something like a sitcom or drama, something actually representative of regular activities and I think that's fine. But we're talking about much more exaggerated fiction here. I mean more in a broader sense of population. If half of the characters in something are gay and they don't have a preexisting relationship and they all just happen to come together becomes a little less realistic. If a bunch of characters from different backgrounds come together and a half or most of them are gay then it might seem a little disproportionate.
Does that happen frequently in cinema?...

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does that happen frequently in cinema?...
No but that seems like the hypothetical in the scenario I was quoting. I don't keep up with superhero movies, but I can't imagine something like an X-Men movie having a bunch of gay characters working naturally (a bunch as in 50% of the characters).

If something is about gay (I'm including both gay men and lesbians here, using the one word is just easier) characters or it's something more realistic featuring gay characters then it would be fine to have a lot of gay characters. But if a bunch of unaffiliated characters happen to be gay in more of a fantasy setting that's where it could become immersion breaking. I'm talking major numbers like 30-50% here, no issues with a well written gay character and a couple minor characters who might be gay but not forced in for tokenism.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.