Why do people get so triggered about introducing LGBT characters into movies?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by dpad_5678, Feb 21, 2018.

1. dpad_5678
    OP

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

GBAtemp Patron
    dpad_5678 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    I just find it super ironic. Introducing LGBT characters into modern-day movies, is, somehow, seen as "forcing homosexuality and transexuality" on children and on any currently impressionable generation. In that insane logic, any movie with a cisgender person, or a straight couple, is forcing their heterosexuality on the LGBT community. Makes sense, right? No.

Being "gay" is, honestly, just as weird as being straight. It's not weird at all, so it sounds ridiculous.

- straight white male

2. alevan

alevan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2014
    Romania
    There is nothing wrong by including LBGT characters into movies and series. As there never was with blacks or asians.

The problem starts, when the character is forced into the show, just for the sake of diversity. Just like with older movies, where the cast is white, but there is one black character (mostly killed of first in horrors), so the critics shut up.

One example: there is nothing wrong if somebody includes a gay character in a movie. Show his sexuality. But if every time he has screen time he has to flount it to the viewers, unnaturally, like he is "special" for his sexuality, not for his abilities or talents, it's unnatural.

There is difference between natural diversity and forced diversity.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You may be lumping multiple groups to create a larger number, one in turn worth making note of.

The ""forcing homosexuality and transexuality" on children" set I reckon I can write off as a small enough number to be of no great interest.

It is the appeasements to the "fiction must represent the percentages of reality, or indeed over represent the percentages of reality, else you are wrong" set in turn giving me boring as shit, or worse still completely unbelievable, characters that bothers me.

4. JiveTheTurkey

JiveTheTurkey GBAtemp Fan

Nov 6, 2017
    United States
    I have more of a problem with a rapist actor than seeing an openly gay actor on screen. I threw away my copy of Advanced Warfare because of Kevin Spacey. Could have sold it but it's trash.

5. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Would you happen to have an example, where the mere introduction (not replacement, introduction) of a LGBT charter ruffled feathers?

Subtle Demise likes this.
  6. dpad_5678
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    I understand that, but for example, the character Valkyrie in Thor: Ragnarok was recently confirmed as bisexual in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Her comic book counterpart is also bisexual, and even then conservatives lost their minds everywhere, and saw that a common argument of theirs was that liberals are trying to "make everyone gay/bi".

Lucifer666 likes this.
  7. YTElias

YTElias GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 23, 2017
    Germany
    Germany
    I have no problem with it. Sometimes i even like it:P

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  8. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Yuck! Lesbians, gays and hetero - go away with them! And the black, brown, yellow as well. But the worst type of them all are those white bed sheets. Where does that lead us? Animal only movies, please! Humans suck.

Let humans be humans, simple as that. All these discussion are so senseless. Let there be love! ;-)

9. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    There are a handful of people at my college who act like that that just because that's their character trait. Does it get annoying? Occasionally, yeah. Is it forced or unnatural? No

10. YTElias

Aug 23, 2017
    Germany
    Germany
    Yeah with cats from the game Ghost Trick

11. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    This desperately needs the sarcasm tag

dpad_5678 and Bimmel like this.
  12. Bimmel

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I hope no one on this planet sympathizes with that. Thought it was idiotic enough.

13. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    From what I've read, there were just as many people complaining that her sexuality was NOT brought up in the movie.
    Imho Marvel was right not to mention it in movie. It brings literally nothing to the story. This would have been a typical case of forced diversity for no purpose.

(and I'm gay, I just don't care about representation)

14. dpad_5678
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    That's exactly why they left it in a Blu-Ray exclusive deleted scene (Tessa Thompson also confirmed it on Twitter, but I don't see that as significant as the cut out scene). But the way the conservatrolls laced into that.......holy shit.

15. Bimmel

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    That would be.. awesome.

And a sweet golden strawberry for noticing my friend. :-)

16. YTElias

Aug 23, 2017
    Germany
    Germany
    Aww i played that game so much
    I have it on a cartridge with whe original box and it keeps surprising me even tho i played it like 3 times

Bimmel likes this.
  17. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    I wasn't aware of that...
    But yeah, both sides of the spectrum can be extreme, and both sides are feeding each other.

But I must say, it does annoy the hell out of me when lgbt communities pretend to speak for all of us and complain about petty things like representation. (some people did it for Black Panther too)
    They don't speak for all of us, most of us don't care.

Porobu, DrkBeam, DarthDub and 3 others like this.
  18. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Who is people?
    TBH, I don't like it if they are not subtle.
    I hate when they advertise once and again "hey, look, here is the LGBT character we put into the movie, look we're inclusive!".
    I mean, I hate if the only reason (very publicised and unsubtle) to put any kind of character is to look like a good PC SJW and nothing else, I think that is insulting for everybody.

Do you mean that?

Now, if there are LGBT characters that... well, are actual good characters with a role that happen to be LGBT, instead of being a shameless and hollow attempt to promote the movie as fakely virtuous, then it is great by me.

I don't like attempts to capitalise and profit on something through faking virtue.

DarthDub, VinsCool, Minox and 2 others like this.
  19. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    The ones that I don't like are "we say our character is LGBT because we're inclusive but never actually write or show anything that confirms that so as to not make anyone who hates gays mad"

I'm looking at you, J K Rowling

20. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Addict

May 3, 2012
    United States
    I have no problem.

There are people who are upset though, because they see it as MORE of the same insanity that causes Hollywood to lose viewers. Everything has to have LGBT characters, or Black Characters, or Hispanic characters, or...

Here's an idea. If you're gonna add those kinds of characters in movies, make sure they're actually talented?

Not trying to be a magnificent ass, I'm saying use common sense.