Why do I feel that the downfall of gaming has got to do with GPU.

• Thread starter Yil
  • Start date
  • Views 4,516
  • Replies 41
  • Likes 1

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Think about it people.
Nvidia and AMD want us to buy high end graphic card so they can make profits, and for that they ask companies like ea to make c**p like cod which use lots of gpu powers. They hate indie and nintendo because it is more of fun than graphics.

Reactions: YugamiSekai

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm still running an Nvidia 465. I can run most games fairly well. Getting a faster card is only necessary if you want to be on the cutting edge. Since most games are built around consoles you really only need to upgrade every 5 to 7 years. Just pick something in the x60 and x70 range and your fine. Picking something like a 920 or 930 over a 960 or 970 is a very bad move and will leave you wanting. A 990 is way to expensive and not worth the investment. It's like i5 vs i7. If you just game, the i5 is the better bang for your buck. The i7 is more for autocad and thread heavy applications (movie processing) and with the move to GL programming, this is going to eventually be passed to graphics cards for processing.

Cost doesn't always show the quality. An i7 4770k with a 990ti is way more expensive than a i5 4570k with a 970 and the performance difference is small and most of the time, unnoticeable.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
  1. Nvidia/AMD also make profits from low budget cards
  2. There is no rule saying indie games MUST look like archaic crap
  3. Nintendo Gamecube/Wii/WiiU GPUs were manufactured by ATi/AMD

Reactions: Margen67

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Think about it people.
Nvidia and AMD want us to buy high end graphic card so they can make profits, and for that they ask companies like ea to make c**p like cod which use lots of gpu powers. They hate indie and nintendo because it is more of fun than graphics.
Did you think about this?

Of course video card companies want us to buy video cards. They'll certainly sponsor AAA-titles for symbiotic reasons: it'll sell both these graphic cards and the AAA-titles (on their own, both the games and the cards have less individual use). Why they would spend time hating nintendo or indie developers is beyond me (these companies still sell budget cards, so it's not like it's a loss for them).
Also..."the downfall of gaming"? A bit dramatic...isn't it a bit too simple to blame the card manufacturing companies instead of...y'know...the gaming companies who focus most of their effort in graphic enhancement rather than game experience improvement? Or the audience who still has to CHOOSE which game to buy?

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blane the gaming industry for spending way way too much money on making games pretty and us gamers for demanding pretty graphics as well. the industry as a whole is really out of whack right now and it's very difficult to blame one part of the industry for its current downward trajectory. Games are now so expensive to make that many companies refuse to take risks and on top of that, scam people with DLC and microtrans bullshit, and when a game doesn't look PERFECT there are tons of graphics whores who shit their fucking pants. It's complicated.

Reactions: Ryccardo

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah this whole PC must be upgrade every year or two is bullshit.

yes if you want to be on the cutting edge of graphical fidelity, then by all means, upgrade every year or two.

however, you can stick with a graphics card for around 5-7 years and have plenty of games to play unless a DX revision comes along which makes your card obsolete for the games which choose to only support those DX versions.

The downfall to gaming is the consumer's obsession with numbers and graphics over quantity and quality of games available sadly. Look at the petty 1080p vs 720p gate for PS4/XBOX one. its pathetic. The scope and imagination older games have is not being realised and its sad. I'm currently playing Suikoden II on PSP. Its originally a PS1 game and shits on most modern games I've played recently which is sad.

Also the birth of AAA shitty titles like COD and FIFA which sadly destroy every other gaming franchise comfortably sales wise by appealing to the casual gamers.. whilst being boring unimaginative shitty games.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have always been obsessed with pretty graphics but it's just a lot more expensive to make games with cutting edge graphics now than it was 20 years ago.

felix: I'm with you on the stupid resolution debates; it doesn't matter and people should be focused on games actually being good rather than looking pretty. Some people shit themselves if they see a low-res texture for fucks sake and it's just plain silly. Great art direction is what really makes games beautiful anyway, not resolution, polygon count or high res textures.

TheLoneWolfGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have always been obsessed with pretty graphics but it's just a lot more expensive to make games with cutting edge graphics now than it was 20 years ago.

felix: I'm with you on the stupid resolution debates; it doesn't matter and people should be focused on games actually being good rather than looking pretty. Some people shit themselves if they see a low-res texture for fucks sake and it's just plain silly. Great art direction is what really makes games beautiful anyway, not resolution, polygon count or high res textures.
Yeah. Gameplay is what matters. Good examples are FTL and Minecraft. No point making games that run on PCs costing an arm lol. 11350426_842399835838981_2980854956024493074_n.jpg

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Games are only as good as their Gameplay. I'm a PC gamer, even if I dabble in other consoles. And yes, having an amazing £1200 PC will be good for games that need it like the Witcher 3 at Ultra/Insane settings. But most games will play fine on a modest PC costing less than half of that. I agree however that graphics are becoming more important than gameplay. I enjoy the gameplay more than the pretty looks, but graphics that look photorealistic are a bonus, not a must. People who only play games for the graphics are not really gamers, they're frauds and phonies.

I build PCs as a sideline to my normal profession and I've built over two dozen by now. The majority of those costed less than £500. All of them can play anything at 1080p at 60fps on at least medium settings.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfGamer

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
PC gaming FTW!!!

Problem is that a lot of people who aren't very knowledgeable about PCs complain that you need to spend that much on a new, complete PC. Building yourself removes a lot of cost as a lot of companies charge quite the premium to sell it you pre-built.

I quite literally built a PC better than the current consoles for about the same cost as a current console for my daughters to play on. The PS4 came out about £400, so I set that as a budget and got second hand parts from places and built a great little PC that'll play titles at 1080p, 30fps minimum. If you have the knowhow, then you save a lot of money and the only gripe about PC gaming being expensive instantly evaporates.

TheLoneWolfGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem is that a lot of people who aren't very knowledgeable about PCs complain that you need to spend that much on a new, complete PC. Building yourself removes a lot of cost as a lot of companies charge quite the premium to sell it you pre-built.

I quite literally built a PC better than the current consoles for about the same cost as a current console for my daughters to play on. The PS4 came out about £400, so I set that as a budget and got second hand parts from places and built a great little PC that'll play titles at 1080p, 30fps minimum. If you have the knowhow, then you save a lot of money and the only gripe about PC gaming being expensive instantly evaporates.
I loooove building PCs! I build one too. Using an Intel Pentium G3258.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah it is! And the oc profiles! And AMD over clock well too.

Not really an AMD fan if i'm honest. Their CPUs haven't been amazing since the Phenoms. I've built a couple of HTPCs and low budget builds using APUs for general browsing etc. but their stuff is pretty mediocre now.

TheLoneWolfGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really an AMD fan if i'm honest. Their CPUs haven't been amazing since the Phenoms. I've built a couple of HTPCs and low budget builds using APUs for general browsing etc. but their stuff is pretty mediocre now.
Well, you can't beat the FX 6300/6350 for their price point!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Playing the Judge Dredd arcade game prototype lol I can see why they didn't finish it but at the...