Why did people move to switch? There is no more cool things to do anymore with wii u homebrew.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what you expect. For how long it's been a dead system, not to mention how few sold overall, it's not hard to see why the Wii U scene isn't more active than it is. Frankly I'm surprised it's still as active as it is, and I'm grateful for what we still see, obviously Maschell is doing a lot to keep the Wii U scene alive with Tiramisu and later Aroma. The Pretendo team is hard at work getting online functions and the Miiverse properly functioning again, and if you look around, you'll find cool little projects in the works. For example, just saw on Discord that a Five Nights at Freddy's game is being built for the Wii U by someone in the scene, he said it should hopefully be done by the end of the year.

I think all that stuff is great, and more than what I would expect from the Wii U scene at this point honestly.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are two things that drive a homebrew scene.

1) It being a really nice device for it even if you have to hack it first. The original xbox was basically a reasonable PC with the ability to go on your TV, the wii a cheap take on the matter, the GBA and DS and PSP variously represented best in class.

2) It having some kind of feature or gimmick that draws people to it. Dual screen and touchscreen is not that, or at least were not by this point.

The rise of the readily programmable mobile phone/tablet, raspberry pi and every laptop having HDMI out then kneecapping homebrew as a general premise, never mind happening and cool place to be that you might have seen on the GBA, DS, xbox, Wii, maybe Dreamcast (though that is more spread out) and PSP.
The Wii U being a failure and at least more annoying to hack than many previous things further making this tricky.

cubes

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Tbh when I got my Wii U in January I was actually surprised to see how much homebrew projects and tools there are, also with the free coldboot method releasing just 2 months ago, I would say that's pretty recent

Dudee15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what you expect. For how long it's been a dead system, not to mention how few sold overall, it's not hard to see why the Wii U scene isn't more active than it is. Frankly I'm surprised it's still as active as it is, and I'm grateful for what we still see, obviously Maschell is doing a lot to keep the Wii U scene alive with Tiramisu and later Aroma. The Pretendo team is hard at work getting online functions and the Miiverse properly functioning again, and if you look around, you'll find cool little projects in the works. For example, just saw on Discord that a Five Nights at Freddy's game is being built for the Wii U by someone in the scene, he said it should hopefully be done by the end of the year.

I think all that stuff is great, and more than what I would expect from the Wii U scene at this point honestly.
I am really excited about pretendo and i think that there is still great work happening. Yeah it is not hard to see why it is not active.

Tbh when I got my Wii U in January I was actually surprised to see how much homebrew projects and tools there are, also with the free coldboot method releasing just 2 months ago, I would say that's pretty recent
True there is alot, but alot are also deprecated and old. and yeah the free coldboot method is pretty awesome.

Moobaks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the major issue with any console being hacked, is that 99.999999% of the time, it is done in order to exploit and perform tasks it wasn't intended to mainly in order to play pirated games and software.

If the main focus to Homebrew and hacking was to IMPROVE the current consoles interface and experience, then I think the involvement and the creations would be more robust and interesting. Meaning, there are many Wii and Wii U things that are annoying or redundant, like all the Warnings about the fact your console was on for 5 hours or something. Constantly having to touch the OK button to acknowledge things. Also, although you can "backup" your settings and your games and your saves....then what? Once again, the reason for most backups is not to help the user DO something, but more incase the user screwed something up.

If someone built a STABLE and robust interface for the Wii U that actually performed useful tasks, there would be no reason to abandon the efforts. For instance, at this point in the game there should be consistently stable apps that work every time for everyone. This is not a PC, so there is very little discrepancies between each unit. Having a Wii U "OS" that allows for full graphically interactions with useful tasks like clearly and easily accessing ALL saved data from any source, clearly seeing it, exposing it, giving options to manipulate it and then USE the actual data in a DEFAULT manner, not CUSTOM, the customizing is what kills things.

I should be able to insert any Wii, Wii U (or GameCube on a Wii) disc, upon loading the OS should give me options to Play, Copy, Select which Save Data to use, which Mii to use, etc. Amiibo support for and discovery, making the NAND cleanly and neatly accessible to work with the OS and apps.

I own 2 Wii Us and 3 Wiis, all since release and launch. I've hacked them since forever and have updated and moved along with each year of progress. I can safely say that to this date, there's really NO POINT in hacking any Nintendo console for any reason, unless you are playing illegally. Cause all the real world legal apps and exploits don't really do anything of any actual use and work consistently.

I would like to see an combined effort among coders to create ONE really great Wii U "OS" that does everything we want it to do "NATIVELY".

Whether you are doing it legal or not, I think the main goal would be to have a Wii U that functioned like it hasn't been hacked and performs all the functions it SHOULD have performed out of the box. That means easily and simply loading / launching any and all GameCube, Wii and Wii U titles and VC titles from an external USB HD using your saves and your Mii's and your Discs. Leave everything else alone. Focus on making these tasks perform perfectly every time.

I am not a programmer or coder, but I am degree-holding artist and graphic designer, I am a teacher as well and I have built way too many web sites over the years to count. Including way back to fully develop Macromedia Flash sites, early CSS, HTML, PHP and some other basic web stuff. I am way more than willing to help out or contribute to anyone's builds.

I think the USB Loader and WiiFlow combined with the SaveWii apps and such, are at least in the ballpark of the right direction, but they've all been too buggy and incompatible and overly complicated when it comes to installing and configuring. So maybe trying to mash these apps together along with a few other's might be a good starting point? WIth the new Tiramisu hack hopefully someone is getting closer to truly taking over the Wii U OS.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
and the eshop closing down
Because the people misunderstand something a bit wrong...obviously...apparently. The eshop will be shutted down, yes. But paid software can still be downloaded. Even after the shutdown. That means, for the case we wouldn't have tiramisu, haxchi/cbhc can still be used, because the ds vc title must be paid to make the haxchi/cbhc hack work properly.

Norris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Average gbatemper when they find out a console that sold less has less homebrew than console that sold more

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ai doc my reality prescriptions running low I need 5,000mg