Hacking Why can't we use an EmuNAND with the 2.1.0 ctrasnsfer to install A9LH?

Shawnj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Being able to do this would make the process much safer, as bricking an EmuNAND by closing the lid on a New 3DS is more of a minor setback than an unrecoverable brick, and I will not hack my N3DS to that extent if it means I have a pretty good chance of bricking it.

Currently, I am using an Emunand with Luma3DS. I run it by using BossBannerhax and Safe+Fasthax. Getting FBI to work was a pain in the ass, but it works fine, and I have updates blocked (Dualhax DNS) on my sysnand, so I'm fine until a method is made where I can install Luma without a ctrnand transfer.

Last edited by Shawnj,

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
The reason 2.1 is used is because it's the highest firmware that doesn't clear the OTP from memory after the bootrom is done with it. In order to boot emunand, one would have to first boot a higher firmware, which clears the OTP. Emunand loading doesn't use the bootrom, so there's nothing to put it back in memory.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
If it were possible, don't you think we would have done it ages ago?

The OTP needed to install arm9loaderhax is locked out (of the entire system, permanently until shutoff) extremely into system boot. It's locked out so early on firmwares newer than 3.0 that by the time you load up the home menu/cfw of the updated sysNAND, before you even get to emuNAND, the region is already locked out.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
as bricking an EmuNAND by closing the lid on a New 3DS is more of a minor setback than an unrecoverable brick, and I will not hack my N3DS to that extent if it means I have a pretty good chance of bricking it
so what you are saying is you basically incapable of not closing your lid

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't be stupid, problem solved. Why is the lid closing thing even an issue? Once you've gotten to that point, just finish the job. There is no reason to quit it there, you've gotten through the worst of it to get that far

Reactions: Majickhat55

Shawnj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I just don't want to be the idiot who wasted $100 by bricking a N3DS. no offense here, but I think I'd rather wait for sighax or keep this setup because I'll probably forget about not closing the lid. It's not like iOS where there is a recovery mode so you can dick around and still be able to restore to the newest version no matter how much you fuck up.

Last edited by Shawnj,

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
After you're restore to 9.2+, you can closing the lid again, you know?
And, 3DS has recovy mode too. Also, if you have a NAND backup, hardmod can revive your 3DS.

Last edited by nechigawara,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well if he doesn't want to risk a mcu brick he could just do the otpless a9lh install, then as long as he makes a nand backup he can always recover if he bricks, but as mentioned when otpless was under debate for removal, the brick chance is super super tiny (like 1/6000)

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I just don't want to be the idiot who wasted $100 by bricking a N3DS. no offense here, but I think I'd rather wait for sighax or keep this setup because I'll probably forget about not closing the lid. It's not like iOS where there is a recovery mode so you can dick around and still be able to restore to the newest version no matter how much you fuck up.
You'll be on 2.1.0 for 5-10 minutes. If you can't trust yourself to not close the lid during that time, then perhaps you shouldn't bother dealing with CFW at all.

Geezerdorf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
if you have a NAND backup, hardmod can revive your 3DS

MCU Bricks are actually different from the common Nand brick. These send a message to the machine to "hibernate", but they didn't set a way to revert it for the N3ds hardware (it's more like they didn't expected THOSE systems to ever run that sys version...ever!). So once you put your N3DS or 2ds on standby in that specific scenario (2ds on firmwares 4 or less), you dun' goofed.

The procedure is stable, yes, but it isn't foolproof. A lot of people commited the mistake of closing their N3ds lid "just by accident" or "due to be rushed" too much; no wonder why they opted for a "less risky" method afterwards.

I did used this method when i installed a9lh for my personal N3DS. It's kinda useful to have your OTP and other important info, just in case.

Is it really safe? Well, if you follow the procedure and don't deviate/distract yourself with something along the road, it IS safe.
Should you ever feel the need to close the lid of the system on 2.1...you're better off shutting the system off if you plan to do a prolongued pause, which in that specific scenario, is much much safer (i did that)

Addendum: Should you use it? Depends on the situation and if you don't have any actual choice to do the downgrade. Again, it IS safe, but only if you don't deviate/distract at all doing it so.

Last edited by Geezerdorf,
Reactions: nechigawara

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
MCU Bricks are actually different from the common Nand brick. These send a message to the machine to "hibernate", but they didn't set a way to revert it for the N3ds hardware (it's more like they didn't expected THOSE systems to ever run that sys version...ever!). So once you put your N3DS or 2ds on standby in that specific scenario (2ds on firmwares 4 or less), you dun' goofed.
I know that, I mean, he mention like 3DS doesn't have a way to revive 3DS.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are lucky we can go that far down with the firmware.
Take PSP, PS3, you can't downgrade below the firmware than the firmware you got when you bought the PSP, PS3.

Platinum Lucario

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just as long as you're downgrading from 11.2 and earlier, your NAND will be fine. 11.3 introduces some NATIVE_FIRM version checks and Home Menu checks. The 3DS isn't like the PS3 in where the firmware version is hardcoded onto the CPU.

As long as you're downgrading from 11.2 or earlier, you should be fine. And you'll only be on the 2.1 firmware for a short time while following the 3ds.guide, just as long as you don't press the power button or close the New 3DS lid, you won't brick.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
You'll be on 2.1.0 for 5-10 minutes. If you can't trust yourself to not close the lid during that time, then perhaps you shouldn't bother dealing with CFW at all.
Not even that long. Once booting into 2.1, you open the browser, type in the url, and press Select. Then you reboot into Hourglass9... All those steps take maybe 1 to 2 minutes, tops.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not even that long. Once booting into 2.1, you open the browser, type in the url, and press Select. Then you reboot into Hourglass9... All those steps take maybe 1 to 2 minutes, tops.

With the 5-10 mins extra, you check if everything is right on the SD Card. I was more than 10 minutes on 2.1 because I had to switch computers.

OldSchoolTech

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I was only on 2.1 for like 2 minutes and during all the preparation up to that time and during it I'll admit I was nervous and kept thinking don't close the lid, DON'T CLOSE THE LID, DON'T UPDATE FROM 2.1 ON A N3DS!

I read over the guide at least 20 times even before I got the DS lol.

Reactions: XRaTiX and Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place