Hacking Why can't we use an EmuNAND with the 2.1.0 ctrasnsfer to install A9LH?

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
well if he doesn't want to risk a mcu brick he could just do the otpless a9lh install, then as long as he makes a nand backup he can always recover if he bricks, but as mentioned when otpless was under debate for removal, the brick chance is super super tiny (like 1/6000)
But then again, that miniscule risk is still there and there hasn't been any way around it outside not being that unlucky. Keep in mind that we are talking about a person who isn't keen on the safer alternative (0% brick afaik excluding user errors) whereby the only rule is to not close the lid during that specific short span of time.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
An interesting note since the OP is a very recent member. We actually used to have to setup an emuNAND on 2.1, then flash that directly to the system to install A9LH. It was actually a lot more risky and required shit tons of steps.

mirsao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Being able to do this would make the process much safer, as bricking an EmuNAND by closing the lid on a New 3DS is more of a minor setback than an unrecoverable brick
if you shut the lid on an n3ds running 2.1 it bricks the mcu. using an emunand will not change anything

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
But then again, that miniscule risk is still there and there hasn't been any way around it outside not being that unlucky. Keep in mind that we are talking about a person who isn't keen on the safer alternative (0% brick afaik excluding user errors) whereby the only rule is to not close the lid during that specific short span of time.
yeah I know why the guide opts for the downgrade method, but seeing as the op seems to be paranoid or ocd about closing his consoles lid every 7 seconds so unable to avoid closing the lid on 2.1 it's better in his bizarre paranoid scenario to opt for a method with a recoverable brick method than a method with a unrecoverable brick risk........for everyone else they should just follow the guide to the letter

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
yeah I know why the guide opts for the downgrade method, but seeing as the op seems to be paranoid or ocd about closing his consoles lid every 7 seconds so unable to avoid closing the lid on 2.1 it's better in his bizarre paranoid scenario to opt for a method with a recoverable brick method than a method with a unrecoverable brick risk........for everyone else they should just follow the guide to the letter
Or another route, don't play 3DS. Since 3DS also can brick by official update (happen once already :D)

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I seriously don't understand why the lid closing flaw is always brought up. Is it really that tempting to close your lid during this install? Does everyone really get to 2.1 and say, "Well, I got this far, time for a smoke break!" then close their systems?
I've even had paranoid Menuhax fans bring it up as a "counter-argument" against installing A9LH. (Seriously, that happened)
I don't understand why this is always brought up like it's a common thing? It happened a few times before it was added to the guide and basically hasn't happened since it was added to the guide.

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I seriously don't understand why the lid closing flaw is always brought up. Is it really that tempting to close your lid during this install? Does everyone really get to 2.1 and say, "Well, I got this far, time for a smoke break!" then close their systems?
I've even had paranoid Menuhax fans bring it up as a "counter-argument" against installing A9LH. (Seriously, that happened)
I don't understand why this is always brought up like it's a common thing? It happened a few times before it was added to the guide and basically hasn't happened since it was added to the guide.
People have different way of thinking. Just let them paranoid as much as they can.
If they can't even keep the lid open for 15 - 30 mins, they should think about how they gonna live.
I hacked 2 N3DS without lid problem at all. This is totally user f*cking error.
If nobody can't find arm9 exploit on 11.3 and those menuhax people screw, they can't blame anyone but themselves.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
People have different way of thinking. Just let them paranoid as much as they can.
If they can't even keep the lid open for 15 - 30 mins, they should think about how they gonna live.
I hacked 2 N3DS without lid problem at all. This is totally user f*cking error.
If nobody can't find arm9 exploit on 11.3 and those menuhax people screw, they can't blame anyone but themselves.
This is just one of those things I keep seeing though and it just blows my mind that it's brought up all the time. People act like it's as common as Gateway threads after the 11.3 update.
I have hacked 7 different systems using 5 different methods. I haven't run into a brick, yet. I just hacked my 3rd New3DS over the weekend.

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
This is just one of those things I keep seeing though and it just blows my mind that it's brought up all the time. People act like it's as common as Gateway threads after the 11.3 update.
I have hacked 7 different systems using 5 different methods. I haven't run into a brick, yet. I just hacked my 3rd New3DS over the weekend.
Just let them be, don't bother them. Help only people who glad reciveing your help.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it needs to be since it's confirmed said actions causes an MCU brick, not a NAND brick. The system only has one MCU regardless of the NAND in use, so it's going to brick either way.
Again, this has not been confirmed. Everything points to a NAND brick anyway. An MCU brick would cause the lights and power button not to function at all in the first place.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Again, this has not been confirmed. Everything points to a NAND brick anyway. An MCU brick would cause the lights and power button not to function at all in the first place.
I'm actually inclined to agree. The only 'confirmed' N3DS-2.1-lid bricks I've seen have resulted in "An error has occurred, please turn off the power" messages, which perhaps fits more closely with the original theory that they're due to invalid Spotpass/Update data impacting the NAND in some way. I'd love to see some evidence to support the claim that it is an MCU brick.

Last edited by Xiphiidae,
Reactions: nechigawara

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show