Hacking Why can't I install a DSL battery in an old DS?

Repgahroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello.
My poor old DS batt is almost gone (lasts something like 30 min).
So I'm gonna buy a new one, however, the guy from the shop just said me it isn't possible to install a DSL batt in a DS... I know it doesn't fit well, but i think, as long as it fits in the DS batt slot, i could just connect it by wires
smile.gif
, since both are 3.7v and has the same recharge rate, i don't think it will explode or something
biggrin.gif
. The problem is there's no DS battery to buy anymore, and the online stores that has it doesn't ship to my country.

Thanks in advance, sorry my english.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The fact it doesn't fit would be a major reason for one thing...the fact that DS Lite chargers are shaped differently to GBA SP/NDS Phat chargers were to stop both batteries being charged from the same chargers; as they aren't compatible.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
The fact it doesn't fit would be a major reason for one thing...the fact that DS Lite chargers are shaped differently to GBA SP/NDS Phat chargers were to stop both batteries being charged from the same chargers; as they aren't compatible.
DSP and DSL batteries are interchangeable; I've used DSL batteries in a DSP

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tattar8 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Again, I was wary about posting in the worry that I'd be proved wrong in the very next post
laugh.gif

Repgahroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
tattar8 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
How? Using wires?... Because the DSP battery has the electronic conectors on the right side (according to the writing coordination) and the DSL battery has them on the bottom side:

DSP
ds_10a__28439.jpg

DSL
DS%20Lite%20(Official)%20Rechargeable%20Battery%20Pack.jpg

Thanks

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Repgahroll said:
tattar8 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
How? Using wires?... Because the DSP battery has the electronic conectors on the right side (according to the writing coordination) and the DSL battery has them on the bottom side:

DSP
ds_10a__28439.jpg

DSL
DS%20Lite%20(Official)%20Rechargeable%20Battery%20Pack.jpg

Thanks
Lol, thanks for proving me wrong about being proved wrong again
laugh.gif

But if DSP and DSL batteries were fully interchangeable, they wouldn't have changed the charging port. DSP has an 850mAh battery and the DSL has a 1000mAh battery, and I think I'd heard that the charging voltage was increased for the DSL. Although, a different mAh rating alone probably wouldn't require a different port, but they had improved charging time for the DSL.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
You need to check the battery's voltage and current ratings. If they're the same I'd (warily) say you can connect them with wires, whether it would charge or not is another matter, as is whether the DSPhat would charge it for long enough.

Also lol at typo on DSphat battery

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jamstruth said:
You need to check the battery's voltage and current ratings. If they're the same I'd (warily) say you can connect them with wires, whether it would charge or not is another matter, as is whether the DSPhat would charge it for long enough.

What typo?

grimtooth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
Jamstruth said:

What typo?
"battety"

Rising_Dragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing how the DSL battery is bigger, you are going to need to do a case mod, or be ghetto and have it tapped to the bottom or something.
You can connect the contacts with wires and such, but depends on your level of skill.

Voltage on the batteries appear to be the same, I wouldn't worry about charging problems if you were able to hook it up, just that the DSL battery will take longer to charge connected to ta phat.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
grimtooth said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Jamstruth said:

What typo?
"battety"
Oh, I didn't notice until now
laugh.gif

Repgahroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks guys. I'll surely try to do it!
biggrin.gif

First i'm deciding which flashcart to buy as i just returned my Acekard 2i.

I'll post screens here later when it's working. I just want to make sure there's no way for it to explode during the use and i'm gonna try another shops to see if i am able to find the DSP original battery.

I can't buy from other countries.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Repgahroll said:
Thanks guys. I'll surely try to do it!
biggrin.gif

First i'm deciding which flashcart to buy as i just returned my Acekard 2i.

I'll post screens here later when it's working. I just want to make sure there's no way for it to explode during the use and i'm gonna try another shops to see if i am able to find the DSP original battery.

I can't buy from other countries.

If it is DSfat or DSlite, and not a "nintendapple iDS" - CycloDS... or whatever else that the next poster says is better than cyclo and you are forced to decide between price and quality and your own brain.

Unless the improbable happens and the next poster will agree on buying a cycloDS as well.

Repgahroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
What about using three of these hi-quality batteries?:

They are 1.2v but fully charged I measured 1.36V, and almost totally discharged 1.05V. So at most it would output 4.1V. I think it isn't dangerous as the original battery should also vary a lot.

And i could glue a 3-slot batteries holder behind the top screen and wire it properly, so i could buy more 2 batteries to complete 2-pack of 3 batteries so i will be able to use one whilst other is recharging.
biggrin.gif
(it takes 15hrs to recharge). These are very cheap and has good quality because are made in my country.

Please, can someone measure the output voltage of a fully-charged 2000mah DSL battery?

Thanks guys

Repgahroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Okay. Little update guys.

Just measured an almost new DSL battery using a hi-precision multimeter and found that the battery fully-charged outputs 4.18v while on "zero-load" (dunno if the expression is correct, sorry) and it drops a little bit to 4.15v initially while supplying the DS (low brightness, acekard os menu). The DS stays on while the voltage is as low as 3.10v. However, at this voltage it's possible to turn it on again and it will quickly drop to an unusable voltage. I kept turning it on until it refuses to do it, when the voltage was 2.99v and after this when I tried to turn it on it simply dropped very fast to very low voltages. It's when the battery is really unusable. (but it's more than enough to keep the settings safe).

So i'm going to make a 3xAA (not AAA) battery pack mod, because i'll be able to use high-quality cheap 5000mAh AA batteries that outputs 1.4v each, which isn't a problem, because the DSL original batt outputs 4.18v, so 4.20 surely will not kill it
biggrin.gif

The only bad thing is, as i'll use Ni-MH batteries, i will charge them externally (i'll use 3 while other 3 are charging), so i'll lost the setting every time I replace the batteries
frown.gif
. I could charge them on DS because the electric current is okay, but i don't know if it's secure to charge 3 Ni-MH batteries linked in ""sequence"" (don't know how to say... it's the [- | +}[- | +}[- | +} thing).

This DSL ran bkps of games and homebrews using Acekard for 11hs, and the battery cap is 2000mAh, so i think a 5000mah Ni-MH battery will supply it for at least 24hs (at the same conditions of course). The cons are; it takes more than 36hs to recharge completely (not a problem because i will recharge them externally and will have 2 kits), it auto-discharges (discharge without supplying anything) something like 10~15% every day (at least the first 2 days) (that's the major advantage of li-ion) (not a problem also, because i will not store them for a long period o time) and of course, the "volume" of the pack. This is the only real problem to me, because 3AA batteries are huge and heavy. I decided to glue the batteries holder behind the superior screen and wire it externally. ghetto-style
biggrin.gif
. Anyway, i think it's worth. So when i go camping i could bring 3 batt kits and i'll be able to play something like 50hrs or more
biggrin.gif
. A whole week. Very useful 'cause i don't like to fish, cooking on campfire, tell idiot histories, insects, monkeys throwing shit (yeah, it's true), fruits falling of tall trees on my head, etc. So i'll just stay in my hut playing the whole week! Mwahahaha!
biggrin.gif

Later i'll post an illustrated tutorial
smile.gif

Sorry my english.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work