Hacking Why are they doing it >_<

Jasonage

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why the hell are the R4 team releasing an update that BRICKS your DS if your R4 is fake

1) Its not your fault if your R4 is fake
2) Bricking your DS is WAY over the top
3) It won't stop production of fake R4s, as people do not know until they are delivered.

what do you think?

My R4 is fake, I contacted the company twice over a month ago, but I got no reply

Why do you think about this?

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jasonage said:
Why the hell are the R4 team releasing an update that BRICKS your DS if your R4 is fake

3) It won't stop production of fake R4s, as people do not know until they are delivered.

what do you think?

My R4 is fake, I contacted the company twice over a month ago, but I got no reply

1) Its not there fault either. All people want is to make money and if they dont, they will do whatever they need to make money.
2) It is way over the top. But we wont know until they do release the firmware.
3) It wont stop because they make their clones out of popularity. If the name is popular then they'll clone it.

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm starting to wonder if it's an intentional brick or not. It could very well be that they are implementing a startup method that would cause problems on fake R4's. Did you think of that? Are they supposed to cater to the ones who bought false copies of their hardware? It's like if Microsoft released a patch that killed all partitions with cracked copies of their OS. They have the right, so why not?

Jasonage

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sonicandtails said:
I'm starting to wonder if it's an intentional brick or not. It could very well be that they are implementing a startup method that would cause problems on fake R4's. Did you think of that? Are they supposed to cater to the ones who bought false copies of their hardware? It's like if Microsoft released a patch that killed all partitions with cracked copies of their OS. They have the right, so why not?

But they shouldn't have the right to wreck a £99.99 machine just because the person bought a fake flashcart from a dodgy dealer.

Its just not needed.

ENDscape

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jasonage said:
Sonicandtails said:

But they shouldn't have the right to wreck a £99.99 machine just because the person bought a fake flashcart from a dodgy dealer.

Its just not needed.

They do have the right because its their firmware and they can make it whatever they want. If the clones needs the orignial r4 firmware to work then they cant do anything about it. Unless someone finds a way to bypass it which will probably be soon after the fw release, so stop worrying.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jasonage said:

what do you think?

1) Well yea it ain't our faults if we get a fake R4
2) As ENDScape said it's for money .

This is not our fault . It was Team R4s choice to create the firmware . If you don't want to brick your DS then get every version of the firmware and on't use the latest . Get them frmo different sites just ofr back-up . So this way you know that it shouldn't brick with all the past firmwares . So just don't update .

ENDscape

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jasonage said:
I wasn't suggesting updating, but I'm wondering why they would bother doing it. Seems pointless imo.

We are not sure that they will do it, i think theyre just trying to scare people into buying the original r4. Even though they stopped producing it.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
I lol'd at this thread.

1) We don't even know if they're going to make this firmware
2) R4s stopped production, didn't they? So I doubt the R4 Team are actually going to make this firmware.
3) Do we even know if the announcement was officially made by the R4 Team?
4) Didn't the announcement say that it would brick Fake R4s because the Fake R4s COULD brick the DS?

I think OP just got trolled by the R4 Team.

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jasonage said:
Sonicandtails said:

Its just not needed.
You don't seem to get it. It doesn't matter if it's right or not. It's their damn firmware and it doesn't belong on other devices that they don't create. "I didn't know it was a fake illegal device, it's not fair they are bricking my DS" is the same as saying "I didn't know my coffee was hot when I threw it at that guy, it's not fair I'm going to jail.".

Also, thought I would point out, aren't we basing this off a shitty translation anyways? For all we know it could just brick the R4, and even if it does brick your DS, you are a moron for not having FlashMe installed in the first place.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what i find stupid is why not just tell people that they stopped producing R4s ?
If they already did then iunno why people won't be like us people who actually research on other FlashCarts !?

i find it a shocker that used to be a noob that only knew about the R4DS and then ended up being a person knowing multiple knowledge about other flashcarts !

now that's how people should be xD or at least know the fakes and reals !

i used to be like " OMG get the R4 ! It's sooo good . The box even says so ! It says the best leading flashcart ! Zomg dad can you get it please !? "

Then i ended up wasting my dads $100 for something fake . I felt horrible when i found out it was fake . I was soo pissed . Then i was just like lets go back to _______ mall and return it ! Then i remembered there was no receipt so it was like saying i never did buy a R4 there . "

*SIGH* lifes hard ...

anywayz back to the subject ....

yes they are scaring people to never buy the R4 but noo ... only us people know . The other people that aren't us don't know this and now they are coming into a hopeless doom if they get a fake R4 ... and update ....

chiseen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fake R4s aren't made or supported by the real team. They have no responsibility to ensure compatibility with your clone. Also their is no guarantee that the new firmware will damage anything. All this based on translations, so it is best to withhold judgement until it actually comes out. BTW please don't give any "well its china so who cares blah blah" crap. Quite immature to say that.

ninja_07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
Sonicandtails said:
Also, thought I would point out, aren't we basing this off a shitty translation anyways? For all we know it could just brick the R4, and even if it does brick your DS, you are a moron for not having FlashMe installed in the first place.

Erm, im being a moron here too then, but how can i get FlashMe/ use it ?
I've never bothered as i heard you needed to mess with the actual hardware

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
People who say it's not my fault I got a fake R4, that's normally not true.

Fake R4's are usually Ncards, clone R4s which they call fake R4s are their problem. I think something happened to the R4 team, and they're not doing anything (shutting down production, no updates) so it may be that you never hear a word again from R4 team.

As they said, if you're scared, wait if an update comes out. Worse case scenariom people report it bricks it, don't use it.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Jasonage said:

what do you think?

They CAN NOT brick you DS, all of the lites and some of the later phats have a far greater protected area of the firmware, leaving only the user data writeable. The most they can possibly do, is change your name or wifi settings. They can not brick your DS unless you bridge the sl1 inside the DS, how can they possibly make you do that?

* If i am wrong about these facts, but i'm fairly sure i'm right.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Patient zero giggity +2