Hacking Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
so how does this work? do you have to have the actual disc in the wii? or you can only install from original disc?
You need to put the original GC disc in the drive once for it to read some info and make some ID+hash combo or something out of it, then it stores that info and you can play the ISO of that game from that point on without needing the disc anymore.

The people complaining about that system are people who fall into one of two categories.
1 - Pirates, they don't have the original disc so they can't do the setup anyways.
2 - People who have Wiis with dead/damaged drives, or broken discs. But then again without taking this program into consideration that means they'd have to pirate an ISO to play the game at all anyways starting from that point.

Reactions: 2 people

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really think that this discussion is pointless, considering that if you want to pirate GameCube games, then you can just use DIOS-MIOS. While I can understand some of the arguments for not having the anti-piracy (mainly that the GameCube is a dead system), it is tueidj's program, and he can design it however he wants. As stated above, perhaps he does not want his work to be used as a warez loader. If you want a program similar to Devolution, without the anti-piracy, then program it yourself.
Because of dios-mios , I'm not really sure what the point of tueidj's program . Now if it came with classic controller support already , then maybe I could understand.

The whole point of me posting this , is for all those that would like to rant about the AP , as for me , I think the gamecube is garbage and I already use dios mios , even though I dont really play with the wii any more .
I believe I have posted somewhere around here about how piracy can be a good thing. ( I know you don't think it can be )

Supposedly, Classic Controller support will be added in a later release.

I don't see what point there is to rant about the anti-piracy measures. I doubt tueidj is going to change his mind over it.

Also, I never gave an opinion on piracy. You stated that you believe that piracy can be a good thing, which is your opinion. Perhaps tueidj's opinion is that piracy is a bad thing, and therefore, he decided to develop a loader with anti-piracy protection. Regardless, as I stated, it doesn't matter if tueidj has a "good" reason for the anti-piracy or not. He is doing this for free on his spare time, and he is free to develop his program however he wants. If someone wants a similar program without such protection, then offer him money for the source, pay someone else to develop a similar program, code it yourself, etc.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so how does this work? do you have to have the actual disc in the wii? or you can only install from original disc?
You need to put the original GC disc in the drive once for it to read some info and make some ID+hash combo or something out of it, then it stores that info and you can play the ISO of that game from that point on without needing the disc anymore.

The people complaining about that system are people who fall into one of two categories.
1 - Pirates, they don't have the original disc so they can't do the setup anyways.
2 - People who have Wiis with dead/damaged drives, or broken discs. But then again without taking this program into consideration that means they'd have to pirate an ISO to play the game at all anyways starting from that point.

i can deal with that. i don't really care for the extra features. i have a huge gc collection i never played and i'm too lazy to keep pulling out games and putting them away :P

this sounds good to me. except for i haven't been able to get my hands on ikagura at a decent price.

nokillmonkeys

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This program is meant to play original games and it only requires a verification once, thats really good imo and nothing annoying. I just dont wanna hear which software and hardware you use to bypass it :P It would be just better to hear how people talk about how much fun gc games make and not how to play warez.
How is any verification good, much less one that is completely arbitrary and an inconvenience to many legitimate users? Guess what? My games are "original". People tell you "back up your games into a digital format so that way if you lose them or they become destroyed, you won't be fucked". Of the game backups that I made several years ago, only a handful of the discs remain in useable condition; some were lost, others rendered unreadable; and the discs that I still have weren't ripped to 1:1 copies, so they're still useless to me. My games are in a digital format, and I am still fucked. I understand that some people on this forum would rather suck up to fuel tueidj's ego and find no fault in his work than to voice displeasure with it and tell him how some of his design choices contribute to a lower-quality experience for some end-users (afterall, he might throw a shitfit because of negative criticism and cease development; really though, it's constructive criticism, but it's not like he responds to it), but to say that any sort of preventable inconvenience, regardless of its size, is "good" is absurd.

Furthermore, discussing the bypass of verification to play backups isn't discussing "how to play wares", it's discussing "how to play backups" or "how to get the most out of this software". There's no reason to have that kind of cynical attitude, and even if it were true, hurting legitimate users to punish the pirates is not the proper action, it is not the right action. When a company like Nintendo places restrictions on their hardware and software, people decide that it has to be hacked to death to unlock further potential and ability, but when a hobby programmer releases something with arbitrary restrictions, suddenly it's ok to accept them? The only reason tueidj is able to do this for himself (it may be released to the public, but he doesn't have the public in mind) in the first place is because others decided to work around Nintendo's limiting restrictions.

And to those who say "use some other program then": if everybody had that attitude then there wouldn't be a Wii homebrew scene, there wouldn't be people pushing to get the most out of software and hardware; they would just move over to a more user-friendly product that already allowed them to do what they wish. That's a poor defeatist attitude to have.

With that being said, I do applaud tueidj on his program's support for games with audio streaming; that's the only thing that it holds over DIOS MIOS for right now.

Reactions: 6 people

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a WODE, does it mean I can trick Devolution's AP measure? I think so B-)
Ikaruga.. here I go!

EDIT: yeap, for some reason, it doesn't work with WODE
a tip to the hat to this guy's DRM! ;)

Reactions: 1 person

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If he doesn't want his program used for piracy, I don't see the big deal.

Use another program. It's just a little more of a hassle to get set up and going. Quit whining.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
OP you forgot:
>Only works for people with original working disk drives, might as well not even be a USB loader because it removes half the purpose of such projects
Oh and:
>Numerous projects exist to let people pirate gamecube games on Wii. Implementing anti piracy, especially anti piracy which inconveniences legions of legitimate users, will not stop pirates in the least as they can all use comparable projects already available

The guy who started this project. He should, like, be a politician.

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply because he wanted to. He obviously doesn't condone piracy. So his work shows it. He probably has the mindset of "If that bothers you, use DIOS MIOS."

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Simply because he wanted to. He obviously doesn't condone piracy. So his work shows it. He probably has the mindset of "If that bothers you, use DIOS MIOS."
So he needlessly alienates thousands of legitimate users because of a personal vendetta against pirates, despite the fact that his actions will never have any impact on them?
Some people, man. Smart enough to reverse engineer Wii functions, build a sophisticated game loader and antipiracy system...
And yet not smart enough to think things through logically.

Reactions: 7 people

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Ill tell you why, cuz he wanted to, simple as that. Either use it how he intended to be used or do like me and forget about it. I was actually thinking the same way as the OP but then I realized he can do whatever the hell he wants with what he codes. So whatever, I for one wont use it simply cuz GC games are not easy to find and I frankly dont have a reason to RE-buy a game that nintendo already made their profit on it. Nothing to see here, moving on...

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Yeah, and anyone with a 2011+ Wii. One of the main aims of this project was allowing them to play gamecube games with planned WIi remote support. Which is sort of odd because there is no form of anti piracy that will work on Wiis that don't physically accept Gamecube. The single most useful feature planned for the entire project (gamecube games on new Wiis) and he shit all over it with the words "I'll figure it out later".

air2004

Air
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont get me wrong , I'm not bashing the guy . I'm just saying saying I don't really understand his point , because the system is out of date. Now if it was the 360 or PS3 , or hell even the wii , I could understand .
As for the dios mios , like I said before , I tried it , it works.
If you wanna run the game cube games off the hard drive dios has never been easier.
http://gbatemp.net/topic/329628-how-to-play-gamecube-games-off-a-usb-hdd/

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I know the post is on a locked thread I can't quote from so I won't even try to find the post
tueidj said:
Oh noes. If I can't compete I will lose my customers and will have to go out of business ... wait.
The two sides have had the same arguments repeatedly:

[member='tueidj'] made the app, he's pretty much the only one who has had the smarts to do it this way. He has the right to do whatever he wants with it. He was nice enough to let everybody else use it, too. He didn't want to become one more person to facilitate piracy and so blocked it

There are plenty of people with new or damaged consoles and disks (that couldn't play anyhow) who will not be able to use this because they won't be able to verify that the owned or once owned the original disk (also some of these issues may be addressed later on with some other form of verification) and so he will loose potential users of his app (who are not paying for it anyway) and at worst lose people from his GBAtemp friend list.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: hiiii sisters