Hacking Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?

nokillmonkeys

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, if tueidj decides to remove the AP, alright. If he won't, alright. His application, his choice. Giving reasons to remove it is okay, but actually making attempts at cracking it is just rude.
I'll borrow from my post on Page 2...

Furthermore, discussing the bypass of verification to play backups isn't discussing "how to play wares", it's discussing "how to play backups" or "how to get the most out of this software". There's no reason to have that kind of cynical attitude, and even if it were true, hurting legitimate users to punish the pirates is not the proper action, it is not the right action. When a company like Nintendo places restrictions on their hardware and software, people decide that it has to be hacked to death to unlock further potential and ability, but when a hobby programmer releases something with arbitrary restrictions, suddenly it's ok to accept them? The only reason tueidj is able to do this for himself (it may be released to the public, but he doesn't have the public in mind) in the first place is because others decided to work around Nintendo's limiting restrictions.

And to those who say "use some other program then": if everybody had that attitude then there wouldn't be a Wii homebrew scene, there wouldn't be people pushing to get the most out of software and hardware; they would just move over to a more user-friendly product that already allowed them to do what they wish. That's a poor defeatist attitude to have.
How can you call people trying to remove artificial limitations and add ability to something "rude", and yet here you are on a forum partially devoted to the development of software that is only possible because others broke past barriers that Nintendo decided to place in their product. You have a problem with the people who made it possible for tueidj to create this software, and for you to use it?

Reactions: 1 person
D

Dork

Anti-piracy makes legitimate users suffer, especially the discs they have are scratched or missing. Not to mention the author doesn't seem to give a s**t about those who have newer Wii consoles without gamecube compatibility or with broken drives. The only reason I want to use this is to play games with audio streaming, the others I can use Dios Mios to run. If history has proven anything, restrictive measures (like online DRM) are imposed only to have them decrypted shortly after.

I have to rely on Devolution for USB GC backups, as Dios Mios will not work on my system, even after setting it up right, my discs still didn't work after Update 5. So the AP measure is kind of a let down.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
How can you call people trying to remove artificial limitations and add ability to something "rude", and yet here you are on a forum partially devoted to the development of software that is only possible because others broke past barriers that Nintendo decided to place in their product. You have a problem with the people who made it possible for tueidj to create this software, and for you to use it?

Interesting double standard, no? This thread and others have pointed out a number of reasons why those who have legally purchased GC games will not be able to use them with Devolution. The point being that there are valid reasons for arguing against AP.

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Reasons:
1) tueidj doesn't want his work used for illegal activity.
2) It doesn't matter how old the GC is, that doesn't make piracy okay.
3) Because it's his work and he can do whatever he wants with it.

As I said in another thread (which got closed), just enjoy this breakthrough. It's an amazing accomplishment. GC USB loading without having to install anything.

You cant buy new gamecube games, invalid argument,

And stop implying everyone will use it for piracy, i have 5 original gamecube games, and my wii dvd drive is dead, so i cat use Devolution.

AP for a dead console is the most retarded thing ever. Tuedji should die in a hole for implementing such a retarded thing.

I mean, CMON GC IS DEAD. Does Snes9x have AP?? Or VbaGx? Or any emulator for the wii?? NO.

Whatever, Dios Mios will be always ahead of Devolution unless the AP is taken off :)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anti-piracy makes legitimate users suffer, especially the discs they have are scratched or missing. Not to mention the author doesn't seem to give a s**t about those who have newer Wii consoles without gamecube compatibility or with broken drives. The only reason I want to use this is to play games with audio streaming, the others I can use Dios Mios to run. If history has proven anything, restrictive measures (like online DRM) are imposed only to have them decrypted shortly after.

I have to rely on Devolution for USB GC backups, as Dios Mios will not work on my system, even after setting it up right, my discs still didn't work after Update 5. So the AP measure is kind of a let down.

Uh yeah, no kidding. I understand people hating piracy, but why should we suffer for the actions of others if the rips we made are legal backups?

Reactions: StrikerMan780

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reasons:
As I said in another thread (which got closed), just enjoy this breakthrough. It's an amazing accomplishment. GC USB loading without having to install anything.

And stop implying everyone will use it for piracy, i have 5 original gamecube games, and my wii dvd drive is dead, so i cat use Devolution.
AP for a dead console is the most retarded thing ever. Tuedji should die in a hole for implementing such a retarded thing.
I mean, CMON GC IS DEAD. Does Snes9x have AP?? Or VbaGx? Or any emulator for the wii?? NO.
Whatever, Dios Mios will be always ahead of Devolution unless the AP is taken off :)

I understand why he did what he did; he hates piracy. If we want new gamecube games,you can get them on Amazon or Ebay, but the prices for new copies are rather exorbitant. This forces you to buy used copies, but who gets the money from the sales? No one important, and the companies sure as heck don't get any money. And don't some videogame companies consider used games just as bad as piracy? But no one, especially someone as talented as tuedji, should be ripped to shreds like that. I'm sure one day, someone will allow Devolution to be used without LEGIT users having to suffer for the actions of some sodding douchebag pirates.

Uh yeah, no kidding. I understand people hating piracy, but why should we suffer for the actions of others if the rips we made are legal backups?

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Reasons:

I understand why he did what he did; he hates piracy. If we want new gamecube games, they do exist on Amazon or Ebay, but the prices for new copies are rather exorbitant. But no one, especially someone as talented as tuedji, should be ripped to shreds like that. I'm sure one day, someone will allow Devolution to be used without LEGIT users having to suffer for the actions of wanker pirates.

The "new" gamecube games, as someone said on the thread, are second hand games, the devs dont make money out of it.

I insist, implementing AP in a dead console is retarded.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "new" gamecube games, as someone said on the thread, are second hand games, the devs dont make money out of it.

Exactly, no one in their right mind should purchase an $80 copy of Burnout 2 when you can get it for less than $5 on Amazon. Devolution is something I wanted to use to play the games I LEGALLY OWN which, surprise, surprise, use streaming audio (ZOMG!). But, the very fact that AP was implemented on older consoles is something I personally cannot agree with. It will be a cold day in hell before I accept DRM or other draconian methods for the games I spent cold hard-earned cash on. Why do you think people like me go as far as getting a patch that bypasses Ubisoft's unfair DRM for Splinter Cell Conviction?

If anything, DRM and other AP methods act as an external motivator for hackers to bypass them.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A lot of you are all forgetting one very important thing...

He made the loader FOR HIMSELF, we are lucky he also wanted to release it for the general public.
Some of you behave like he is a bad guy for denying others (for various reasons) to use his loader.
He could also keep it for himself and then we have nothing.

TBH. i also would like to have seen a version without AP, because i gave away my collection of GC games, but to discuss why AP is added is pointless in my opinion for reasons i mentioned above.

Reactions: 1 person

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of you are all forgetting one very important thing...

He made the loader FOR HIMSELF, we are lucky he also wanted to release it for the general public.
Some of you behave like he is a bad guy for denying others (for various reasons) to use his loader.
He could also keep it for himself and then we have nothing.

TBH. i also would like to have seen a version without AP, because i gave away my collection of GC games, but to discuss why AP is added is pointless in my opinion for reasons i mentioned above.

Right, but the fact he doesn't acknowledge those users who either have broken/missing discs and groups them with ISO-downloading pirates is somewhat demeaning, is it not? It will be a very cold day in Hell before I repurchase the games I already own.

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire

Exactly, no one in their right mind should purchase an $80 copy of Burnout 2 when you can get it for less than $5 on Amazon. Devolution is something I wanted to use to play the games I LEGALLY OWN which, surprise, surprise, use streaming audio. But, the very fact that AP was implemented on older consoles is something I personally cannot

yeah, i understand you. In my case my DVD drive is dead so i cannot play SSB Melee, FF Christal Chronicles or Megaman X Collection with Devolution.

Neither i could use my modded copy of Melee even if it was good, because it only accepts 1:1 copies.

Basically, AP renders the app useless..

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Ummm... this is a thread which was created for discussing AP on Devolution... not for talking about why the developer released it or whether people should feel honored for being able to use it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ummm... this is a thread which was created for discussing AP on Devolution... not for talking about why the developer released it or whether people should feel honored for being able to use it.
The title posts the question on why it's got AP. :P

Reactions: 2 people

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, i understand you. In my case my DVD drive is dead so i cannot play SSB Melee, FF Christal Chronicles or Megaman X Collection with Devolution.

Neither i could use my modded copy of Melee even if it was good, because it only accepts 1:1 copies.

Basically, AP renders the app useless..

Useless? I wouldn't go that far, but crippled? Yes indeed. It's useful....for those who have working drives, 2006-model Wii consoles and mint condition discs. Why he ignores those who don't have a working drive is beyond me. Believe me, someone will crack the AP, Tuedji will get uppity about it and decide to quit the homebrew scene just like Martin Korth did with no$gba. Oh wait, I forgot one thing, he doesn't charge for "donations".

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Bitching and moaning aside, here is something intersting regarding the DVVs of Devolution.

I installed Tales of Symphonia PAL and this is the DVV I got:
o0rls7.png

Then I deleted the DVV and installed the same game again. I expected to get the exact same DVV, but the new DVV is different:
1pxaw9.png

So what does this tell you?

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The title posts the question on why it's got AP. :P

Right... what I was trying to say is that it is silly to tell people to stop discussing Devolution's AP because "they should feel lucky that they have be privilege to use it" or some such thing. Comments like that serve no purpose here. There are many quite legitimate reasons for criticizing AP, especially for consoles which are long out of production.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bitching and moaning aside, here is something intersting regarding the DVVs of Devolution.

I installed Tales of Symphonia PAL and this is the DVV I got:
o0rls7.png

Then I deleted the DVV and installed the same game again. I expected to get the exact same DVV, but the new DVV is different:
1pxaw9.png

So what does this tell you?

Randomly generated hexadecimal? Not good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la