White Spots on GBA SP screen

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Sizednochi, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Sizednochi
    OP

Sizednochi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    So I've been hunting down GBA SP 101s and I've seen A LOT of these consoles with this peculiar problem:

gba-game-boy-advance-sp-brighter-ags-101-e-001-original-261101-MLB20285406885_042015-F.jpg

The corners are getting all white. Why does this happen? LCD issues? I've seen a number of them like this.

2. Mike001

Mike001 Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2015
    United States
    Searched it up and it can be fixed by cleaning the screen the white spots are stuck pixels. It depends tho bk if it is there only when it is on then that means there is dust on the screen. If that happens when the console is off as well then it cant be fixed

3. Nusdogg

Nusdogg GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2013
    United States
    St. Paul, MN
    Very odd. Never seen this before. Glad when I got mines, they didn't have that issue.

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i don't think those are "stuck pixels", seems more like a backlight\frontlight issue

5. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    This is backlight bleeding. A rather serious case.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It doesn't look like any backlight bleeding I've ever seen, looks more like the backlight has physically burnt through the corners of the screen because it's so localized to the corners and I've never seen backlight bleeding actually make black pixels look white. That shouldn't even be possible :unsure:

7. Mike001

Mike001 Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2015
    United States
    Well that's what I found online, so my bad.

8. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    stuck pixels usually get stuck in a color, and don't look like that..
    while dead pixels don't turn on no matter what and there is nothing to repair them..

also, cameras are bad at capturing screens, it can make the problem look worse..
    i have a similar issue this on my computer screen, there is a skinny area on bottom and top is slightly blueish because the light...

9. jkage

jkage Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2015
    Malta
    Any luck with that screen? I got myself another SP last week and after turning it on this is exactly what I found (to a lesser degree). I took the LCD assembly apart today, separating all the filters and the backlight in the hope that it was a simple bleed issue but no dice, those pixels at the edge are always white/whitish even without the backlight. Its a shame really...

10. wprpalmeida

wprpalmeida Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2007
    Brazil
    Brazil...F*** YEAH
    these could indeed be stuck pixels, but that's quite unlikely as all three colors would have to get stuck at the same time, and always near the edge of the screen. has anyone tried gently massaging (yes, that was not a typo) the troubled areas? That helped my laptop screen fix some of its stuck pixels

11. Boured

Boured The most perverted furry

GBAtemp Patron
    Boured is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 25, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I log in at ^w^
    Try using this Homebrew if you have a flashcart or anything that can load it. It will flash multiple colors rapidly which will pretty much force stuck pixels to work again. Though be careful since the rapid color changes can cause seizures. If it doesn't work then I don't know what to tell you as it could just be backlight bleeding or something.

http://pineight.com/gba/#stuck

Last edited by Boured, May 26, 2016
  12. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    Sorry for necrobumping, but my GBA SP also has this problem, and I only realized it now because I finally got a game for it.
    It's playable, but damn, it's annoying.